Holy Cow...512TR Price | FerrariChat

Holy Cow...512TR Price

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by HardTen, Nov 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I was at the Leake car auction today in Dallas and they had a 1993 512TR with about 8400 miles on the odometer up for auction. The TR was Fly Yellow over black and had the 7500 mile service done in 11/14. The bidding began and it went up pretty quickly. The final high bid was $200K and the car did not sell. The auctioneer said it would take $250K to buy the car! Keep in mind the prospective buyer is paying a 10% premium so this car would cost someone $275K to take it home. Is this really the market for a relatively low mileage 1993 512TR?

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Does anyone say holy cow that the stock market is 18,000 ?

Does anyone say holy cow that oil was passed $100 a barrel ?

Why is it holy cow for someone asking 250k for a Testarossa, you do realize this was the price of the car back 21 yrs ago right ?

Fixed for inflation 250k back then has to be 400+ in today's dollars.

3. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    HUH!!!! CHEAP....Get a load of THIS one in Aussie..

http://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for-sale/CG_3323350/used-1996-FERRARI-F512M---Manual-Premium-Unleaded-Coupe-in-SYDNEY,-NSW-2000.html

No affiliation,BTW.

4. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Yes high price, but a rather rare car.

5. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    That is pretty surprising. Thanks for the data point.

6. JohnAbrams

JohnAbrams Karting

Nov 12, 2014
    FL & NY
    Not surprising to me that they are starting to creep up. The last two F512M's that I know of that changed hands both almost sold for $400,000…

7. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yeah keep in mind that's 400k Aussie dollars, about 340k american dollars.

8. JohnAbrams

JohnAbrams Karting

Nov 12, 2014
    FL & NY
    Not sure if you are refering to my post or not. But my prices were US dollars. One was $390,000 and the other was $375,000. Both within the past few months. Both were 95's with low mileage, and in beautiful condition with full service history. Not sure if the owners are on here or not, so I will not say more.

9. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    I like how you think and I agree with you.

10. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    No, I was defending that link to the Aussie website above.

11. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    And there maybe other sales north of 400K that were not exposed to the public eyes. This we will never know for sure but very possible.

12. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

This Aussie car could be breaking new ground....how you ask? Well, the really BIG money 512m's have all been US spec "1 of 75", as compared to Euro 512m's (500 made), which are virtually the same car, except for the little metal "# tag". So, is this Aussie car a " 1 of 75" that now lives down-under, or is it a Euro-spec? 512m's in Euro are listed MUCH lower than the US numbered series.

That is where the mania creeps in..."1 of 75"....when really, it is not, unless one specifies US market (N.A.) car. Would be great to hear commentary on what really IS the difference between the two subsets of M's. US market vs European delivery.

Jack

13. JohnAbrams

JohnAbrams Karting

Nov 12, 2014
    FL & NY
    75 USA cars, 426 ROW cars.

Basically the same thing minus minor changes required for our regulations like some lighting changes, and different seatbelts. There also is (thinking due to stricter emmisions) a slight difference in power, 432 vs 440.

The dash plaque on the USA cars is nothing special, and hidden behind the radio cover. In essense the USA and ROW cars are 95% the same.

USA cars are trending towards $400,000 for a good one, haven't checked on ROW pricing as of late, but I know of one that sold for over $300,000 a few months ago...

Anybody have knowledge of any ROW F512M's for sale now and the asking prices?

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I am afraid you all got lost here ...

The Q of this topic was imo: Is this really the market for a relatively low mileage 1993 512TR?

15. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    IMO.
    TEXTBOOK..scenario here..All part of the process as a model escalates in value.
    Time between auctions is the single greatest factor in locating a value.

At the next auction a not as pretty car will all of the sudden be a value at 225 g's and so on.
    Not selling actually helps the market advance.

This was my exact discussion with Tom Papadopoulous this past summer..a no sell is as important as a sell..in setting the market value

The F40 completed production in 92' and the f50 was in production in 95.
    The 512TR was right there in the Middle of it.
    So why not follow suit.

16. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
  17. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Thanks Mel for pointing out my real question concerning current market value. I provided the initial info so everyone would know what type of car we were talking about. Based on other recent sales I anticipated a price somewhere around $125-$150K and was surprised when I saw the bidding go up to $200K. I was wondering if this was the real market or simply auction hysteria with some unrealistic seller expectation ($250K) of value.

18. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    IMO - Hysteria...but it is possibly (I am a skeptic) of a strong indication of upward push or a possibly just a shill scam to run through a few auctions with $200k+ "no sale" bids to pump the market perception before an actual spring sale. Good question is if anyone who was actually there see the bidders/bidding?

19. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Agreed. I can post my F512M at $500K at any time I want but it should based on the most recent "sold" price. The F512M recent two transactions in US mentioned by JohnAbrams are valid ...

20. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    I just got a ROW - 8910KM over $350K on the road in Canada , (25% on top of the purchase price : taxes , shipping etc) . I think because of the 25 years rule in US that make the price difference, 5 more years - ROW may be at PAR with US ones (Just a guess - may be not , because supply will be more in US that makes both side down ?? )

21. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I was actually there and bidding until it crossed the $100K mark (which didn't take very long). There were several actual bidders on the car, but I am not sure of the final real money bid. They had slowed the bidding down to $5-$10K increments as they approached the $200K mark and it appeared to be a couple of genuine bidders. One dropped out at $200K and they closed the bidding there.

22. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  23. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Wayne Carini of Chasing Classic Cars had a car up for its second auction and on the show he shared his concerns. He feared that if the car did not sell after a couple of auctions it would become 'tainted'. As I recall, the car was a '31 Chrysler.

If it is a scam, it may backfire on the owner... I'd suggest that the owner just expects more $ for the car. I'd bet he'll get it.

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

24. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Doesn't sound like a Shill, but a shaping strategy could work equally as well - just takes some news of where the last price was to set a new baseline expectation for the next auction and if the buyer(s) are in play at that price point they will be back and possibly ready to pay. I agree with the "tainted" comment as you can only have a vehicle out there a few times...but that's all it takes to get the buzz.

Assuming the same buyer(s) in play just have to have a Yellow 512TR, it can sell for a nice price given the rarity of the car and color combo. There are guys with a garage full of yellow cars or yellow Ferrari's and just have to have in that color to complete their collection.