Owners who removed visibal Dinol, come in. | FerrariChat

Owners who removed visibal Dinol, come in.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JohnAbrams, Dec 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnAbrams

JohnAbrams Karting

Nov 12, 2014
    FL & NY
    Hello folks, I have a '95 F512M. As we know the factory coated these cars underneath pretty well with Dinol. In the areas you can't see, the stuff is great. The problem is where you can see it, like on the suspension and in the engine compartment. The stuff really doesn't look so good and is very hard to keep clean. So, like many of you I have removed it from these areas. I have been using the WD-40 misting technique. Which still protects these areas but looks much better and is easier to maintain. This was recommended to me by a highly respected Ferrari guru.

My question to the others who have removed the stuff, is what have you done to protect these areas? Have you just left them as is and just keep an eye on them, have you done the same WD-40 misting technique that I have done, or is there something else, like some kind of a more permanent nice looking way to paint these areas?

Any input would be great…

2. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'm fortunate in that I don't have harsh weather and I don't drive in the rain, there are plenty of dry days here. So I didn't need the protection. I'm always in that area cleaning and detailing so I would quickly spot any corrosion developing.

However, on other applications I have used spay on Cosmoline (from Eastwoods) which similarly dries to a thin flexible wax--is/was heavily used in manufacturing, when you buy new brake rotors the raw metal is sprayed with it, sometimes parts are wrapped in paper saturated it, etc. It has a light translucent yellow finish so it would be less obvious than Dinol. My favorite product though is Rem-Oil: it's a gun cleaner/lube/rust protector made by Remington and available at gun shops and (I think) Wal-Mart. It sprays on clear like WD-40 and forms a barrier--does not harden like Dinol or Cosmoline.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #3 Melvok, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Whaauw .... Guru ???? Do we have those :D ?

I have cleaned all and keep it dry ... and I do drive in a " wet" country ... :D

No problem ... it will look like first photo after the season, but is quickly cleaned again !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. JohnAbrams

JohnAbrams Karting

Nov 12, 2014
    FL & NY
    So Tim and Mel, you have had good luck after removing it by simply doing yearly/bi yearly/etc (how often?) cleanings of the areas?

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    In my case, when I bought the car it was not there at all ... and I kept it that way.

By the way, we do never use WD40 over here for preserving bodywork, just to get rusted parts going ... it is not good for preserving at all ...

6. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #6 302Tim, Dec 5, 2014
  7. JohnAbrams

JohnAbrams Karting

Nov 12, 2014
    FL & NY
    Who said anything about bodywork? I would never...

On suspension, etc, that is actually false. Dave Helms actually uses this technique himself as it is proven to work.

8. JohnAbrams

JohnAbrams Karting

Nov 12, 2014
    FL & NY
    Wow Tim, that looks fantastic!

9. meandmyredcorvette

meandmyredcorvette Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    What is your secret? Share it with us. I need to make sure that my engine compartment is always that clean. Provide me a step by step please including products.

10. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Spectacular job mate

11. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    LPS3 works very well for this application. High protection and easy to clean off.
    Vincenzo

12. JohnAbrams

JohnAbrams Karting

Nov 12, 2014
    FL & NY
    Does dirt stick to it? Or no?

13. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Yes. It leaves a soft and thin wax like coating. That said however, it cleans easily and can be reapplied as needed.

Give it a try - the most you'll lose is the cost of a bottle.

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

14. JohnAbrams

JohnAbrams Karting

Nov 12, 2014
    FL & NY
    #14 JohnAbrams, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    Humm, that is what I am trying to avoid and why I removed the Dinol from the visual areas. WD40 attracts much less dirt once it dries then the Dinol did and it is much, much easier to remove if needed. I am debating painting some of these areas though. Figure some can be done during the next major.

...or doing as Tim, as it sees no harsh weather, just keep it spotless, which I do anyway.

15. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Wow, great pictures guys. Defiantly inspiring.

Any special trick to removing this Dinol? I actually would like to see the lower half of my Konis.

16. JohnAbrams

JohnAbrams Karting

Nov 12, 2014
    FL & NY
    Very cool. Actually was thinking of going that route on the suspension and chassis parts during my upcoming major. Looks great, easy to clean and protects.

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    before you sandblast you have to put away the dinol. otherwise you may never use the blasting sand again.
    so sandblasting is not the way to get the dinol away, steamcleaning is much better

18. JohnAbrams

JohnAbrams Karting

Nov 12, 2014
    FL & NY
    #19 JohnAbrams, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    I think he meant he did that AFTER he removed the Dinol?

19. JohnAbrams

JohnAbrams Karting

Nov 12, 2014
    FL & NY
    Mine was removed from the lower engine compartment by the first owner. But I would like to hear some answers too, as I want to do the visible suspension parts next.

20. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #21 Melvok, Dec 9, 2014
    What a perfect job you have done !!! SUPER !

I very much like your red accents to the engine !!!! You will understand why .... :)

21. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Kerosene will remove the Dinol. GIBBS brand protectant is reportedly better than some of the others. I read where it leaves an invisible film that lasts a long time. A guy said he coated a bare cast iron engine block and left it outside and did not rust. You might have to purchase it direct.

Ago

22. JohnAbrams

JohnAbrams Karting

Nov 12, 2014
    FL & NY
    I may have to look into that. Did he say if it attracted dirt or if it dried to the touch?

23. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    #24 Todd308TR, Dec 9, 2014
  24. JohnAbrams

JohnAbrams Karting

Nov 12, 2014
    FL & NY
    #25 JohnAbrams, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    Maybe I am misunderstanding you?

But, that powdercoating will help prevent rust...