Winter projects? | FerrariChat

Winter projects?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Dec 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey everyone,

Now that winter is setting in, what projects do all of you have planned for your cars? As I mentioned in previous posts, I'm going to tackle my fuel distributors!

2. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Buff / Polish a bar made out of a DC-3 engine cowling, work on my tan, plant some more Birds of Paradise in the courtyard.....Oh you mean car related projects because its cold and grey in Salt Lake??? (sorry, couldnt resist.)

Im gonna track down a newly discovered valve cover leak and finish detailing the underside of the engine. Other than that....the TR is good to go at the moment. The Cosworth needs a new lap timer and hood pad. Ill probably get around to making a new hood pad out of fireproof blanket for the TR over the 'winter'.

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I have two. My driver side window in my last ride didn't want to go full up by about 3/8 of an inch. So I have to take the door panel off and see what is happening. Also have a leak a think from the left side diff cover(even if I took very good care when I did it).

And of course a very good cleaning detailing of engine bay.

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    There were threads on these door / windows here a year ago ... good luck !

5. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Oh also I am looking to redye parts of my seats black. Anyone got any suggestions on a good black leather dye?

6. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe

Lol, actually I can work on my tan too - it's near 60 all this week with no precipitation in sight!

7. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Joe, I did not want to hear that :(
    Its about 3C here and slushy wet cold.

:(

8. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products

Black is easy to match. Prep, Prep, Prep.

9. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    I sent a sample of the original leather to a leather dye manufacturer here in the UK and they supplied the EXACT colours for my black and creama leather Testa.

Phil

10. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Where do I start?
    Subaru race car-because we are using speed density, I don't need the MAF any more and we will be installing a GM IAT probe in the intercooler piping just prior to the throttle body. Weld in aluminum bung, then splice the new IAT into the factory harness. Install new Eboost2 electronic boost controller and tie into the canbus harness in the stand alone Haltec ECU. Eliminate factory fuel system and older fuel rails, install new surge tank and run all new stainless fuel lines and new series design fuel rails, plus 1000cc injectors. Build new rear diffuser, I need more rear downforce. Then get all this to the track for testing before the season starts end of March.
    I still have the clutch to install in the TR. Plus a few other small things I know of, front hood shocks, fluid changes, etc.
    Install new exhaust on the 996 TT, and get the ECU reflashed. It also needs new front hood shocks!
    Sell my 2006 Subaru Legacy GT (really nice car) since my new 2015 STi arrived on Friday.
    Change the track brake setup back to the street brakes on the ZO6 (went to the track last Saturday). ZO6 in a light rain all day is an exercise in car control-LOL!
    Lose 6 days going to PA. for Christmas.
    Have fun for 6 days going to the Daytona 24 end of January.
    Run my business and try and keep the wife happy :)

11. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    LOL, wow, and I thought I had a full winter!

12. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Yes, I believe in self-flagellation!

13. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    No punch list on the TR...it is perfect :) .....My winter list is searching for a 70-72 LT-1 Corvette Coupe, sorry I have the need for an American built piece of junk :D

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    If my winter list was for my american Junk(corvette) I'd need two winters.

15. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    While we're on the subject of early 70s possible pieces of junk, what are peoples opinions of the detomaso Pantera? I've been interested in one of those for a while, and a big reason is their engine - 351 Cleveland. Takes me back to my mustang days.

16. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Here, trying to gather enough guts to tackle the GCK...what's wrong with me! Geez!

17. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    For the 88 TR: replace RH rear wheel bearings (preventative--LH went bad this year, already replaced). Repack front bearings (preventative). Remove dash & remove alarm wiring, extra audio wiring, etc. Reinstall dash. Recover instrument cluster housing leather (shrinking--stitching pulling apart).

For the 69 Z-28: install restored brake & suspension parts, new brake lines and get it back on the road.

18. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    You can do it Francois. I hope I'll have time and try to think about doing pictures to show how.

19. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I have own one, my freind just sold his to buy the LM002 and I have another friend of mine who own a nice low kilometers 1983 group5. We all agree to say they are nice cars. But 3 of us also agree they are cheap cars. They are in no way near a Ferrari. Monocoque body flexes a lot. They give a very fun drive for a short run. Engine is peppy and has torque.

Try to drive one before you buy. And if you're looking for a low kilometers(15,000) 83 group5 Black on black my friend would sell his. It also has the wing.

I forgot to mention I've been a Pantera fanatic since my childhood and always wanted to have one. I had it and I'm ok now. If you buy one buy a nice rustfree exemple. They rust a lot.

20. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    #20 okiedude, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008