WTB.....BOXER OR DIABLO? | FerrariChat

WTB.....BOXER OR DIABLO?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jzihla, Dec 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jzihla

jzihla Karting

Mar 26, 2010
    Carlsbad and Kauai
    Full Name:
    John Zihla
    .....John Z here in San Diego the very happy owner of another long time FC members '79 BB 512 Carb car Red on Black. I am pleased that it has proven to be an excellent investment i the last two years however I did not purchase it with appreciation being the ownership goal and have no interest in selling it....HOWEVER.....with all the Countach Mania out there.....Anyone think the Diablo may have a similar upside to the Boxer over the next few years? I wanted to buy a second boxer once I saw the values rise....(this one definately FOR appreciation) but the pricing ran away from my $120K fasye than I could find a good car.

I love the clean look of a Black "wingless" Diablo and while it will never been as iconic a design as the Countach was in it's day.....for all the same very good reasons...."They ain't building any like these anymore"....and never will.

I have a bit of cash freed up to pick up a nice Diablo.... or throw into the market.....5-10 year timeline and it wont affect me lifestyle either way if it flys or flops....any thoughts?
    I have had 3 Lambos in my life and 2 of the 3 became very expensive machines 5-10 years after I sold them.....makes me think! Primo "Diablo?"
    Zman

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Do you own john's old boxer?

3. jzihla

jzihla Karting

Mar 26, 2010
    Carlsbad and Kauai
    Full Name:
    John Zihla
    YES....I love it and drive it regularly.....drove to Monterey and back to San Diego for Italiano....even got 3 rock gashes from a rock fall on Hwy 101.....MAJOR explatives were exclaimed.....Great car and running like a top.

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I think you really can't go wrong with a Diablo if you move fast. If someone wanted a Countach his entire life and now can't afford one anymore he will probably turn to the Diablo which is a very good compromise. Keep in mind the Diablo was the NEW Countach in 1990. That is what I would do! And if I ever can, I will do it.

5. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    I have a early Diablo 2wd 92, the driving experience is very similar to a Boxer except a lot more power torque. The attention level is a bit over the top people stalking taking pics while driving coming up to it when parked I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't experience it first hand compared to the Boxer and other Ferraris I have owned or driven. Something to know if you just want to drive in peace lol.

The early cars would be the ones to get for investment 2wd, the body panels are alarmingly thin aluminum more thin than Boxer easy to ding dent. Not many Diablos made especially early ones less total production then Boxer, they are light years ahead of a CT in power and comfort also.

IMO Diablos are a bargain you get the performance and appeal of a F40 for 1/10 the price.

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005

Also a Diablo owner, a '99 roadster. Will disagree with the above post, because they built the VAST majority of Diablos in the first half of the life cycle while Chrysler owned them, and MUCH fewer when they became independent after.

So the later cars are MUCH better cars AND more rare. Here are my picks for best appreciating Diablos:

'01 SE (very rare)
    '94 SE (250 I think)
    '99 Roadster (100 built worldwide)
    '01 6.0 (415)
    '97/'98 Roadster (300)

7. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Seems like a fairly logical investment value.

I would go for an SV ; the more hardcore models often command the highest prices as collector cars.

The SE would be a safe choice, and the 6.0L is always going to be well regarded.

Maybe a 1st series 2WD car will prove iconic.

Frankly I'm surprised where Countach prices have gone. I should expect the Diablo to follow suit one day.

8. jzihla

jzihla Karting

Mar 26, 2010
    Carlsbad and Kauai
    Full Name:
    John Zihla
    MAN ALIVE!!!! I really appreciate the thoughtful responses that seem to mirror my own.....I would like to forum my second thought and logic behind it....
    If I bought a nice 550.....It would have a much larger following or customer base to resell to.....do you think the 550 will appreciate similarly to the Boxer?.....Again....not an iconic car or design.....but a real car....not a toy like the Diablo would be.
    From a strictly ROI standpoint.....3-5 year timeline.....what's your feeling on the 550 VS. the Diablo and why?......Obviously Diablo sit for sometimes months to find a buyer.....good 550s seem to sell rather quickly.... Z

9. meandmyredcorvette

meandmyredcorvette Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    It sounds like you already made up your mind... the 550.

The Diablo will have its day in the sun and when that time comes it may be too late just like those that hesitated on buying a Countach that could have been bought for $150K a year ago! I am now kicking myself in the head. The good news is that I came to my senses and wasn't going to let it happen again as I am finding pleasure looking at my 99 Titanuim Doablo Roadster on a rainy and cloudy day like today. A bakers dozen would be great! There is no feeling like driving a Diablo!

10. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    both are such sweet experiences and different

but my guess: the diablo is the slightly better investment long term. way more presence in the flesh, imagine it in a collection, more of the stand out car. forever, boxer values flew so far higher than their countach contemporaries. now, the countach looks more like the pivotal work of art side by $ide, have to image that trend line is continuing.

the diablo is the transition between old school lambo and today's modern audi supported version. it could be a duckling for a decade or more like the boxer was until 5 years ago, before its own hockey stick value rise. meantime, 550s and Diablos at today's values are absolute gifts. buy and drive i say, let them be museum pieces later!

comes down to demographics and how badly a posse of us is chasing the same model with deep lust and determination. i'm still stunned by present v-6 dino values. beauty can trump all else clearly.

go 'git either before others with more money than brains beat you to it.

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Ferrari has a larger customer base no doubt......but you also need to look at the cars themselves. 550/575 about 6,000 production right? For very similar cars. I like 550s, they are on a list of about 10-12 cars I am considering next. But have NO doubt that investment wise, one of the Diablo variants with 500 units or less will beat it like a rented mule....or a $10 hooker....I find I have more fun with hookers than mules....LOL.

And other than Barchettas/Super Americas, the Boxer will also crush 550/575. If you want an investment 550, get a Barchetta.

Diablo is a "toy"?.....LOL Pretty bad-ass toy.

12. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    The guys with the later Diablos think they will be worth more but history has proven the first series more pure cars of a series always appreciate first. The 930 Porsche early 3.0 vs 3.3 later model. the 365BB vs later models. Many Diablo guys take out the front diff and axles to turn it in to a early car experience that says it all early models most pure.

Concerning 550 vs Diablo resale, Diablos are so rare they sell quick at least early models that are good cars, they made a lot of 550s more competition from other cars.

13. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Ok

Who has been to a Cars and Coffee recently? There seem to be 5 to 10 times more Ferrari's than Lamborghini's. Last one I went to there were (3) 550's and yes (0) Diablos. As a matter of fact since we are on the subject, I would prefer a Testarossa over a 550 for the same money with regards to investment. A Testarossa has a much greater wow factor than a 550 in my opinion. Heck, why not buy a Diablo, 550 and a TR! There are some great lenders offering very reasonable rates for these cars.I know lenders offering 8 to 10 year loan terms on these cars, ie, Woodside Credit. Buy all three cars and pay what you would have on one. There are a lot of investment groups starting up LLC's and investing in high grade automobiles. Of course it is speculative but the risk vs reward can be considerable. This is one reason you are seeing a rise in values. You can't drive and enjoy a 401K can you?

14. jzihla

jzihla Karting

Mar 26, 2010
    Carlsbad and Kauai
    Full Name:
    John Zihla
    Awesome responses guys......by saying Diablo is a "toy" I mean in terms of practical usage.....My 84 Countach was almost undriveable for more than a hour at a time....Im 6 foot 1 and it was Victrola Dog cramped for me....and hotter than a prom queen.....Great for a short romp but not much more....Came back from Monterey and had to see my chiropractor on Tuesday....seriously. Diablo is more practicle than yhe Countach far and away.....but no where near as practicle as a 550.....BTW....I have decided to get the Diablo.....and appreciate all your comments. More to follow if the deals progresses.....YEEEEHA!!!!!!

15. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    What model Diablo did you decide to get or leaning towards?

16. jzihla

jzihla Karting

Mar 26, 2010
    Carlsbad and Kauai
    Full Name:
    John Zihla
    Hello....it's a nice low mileage VT but like every car it has needs......probably eat up $5K before I drive it.....private party deal....we'll see what happens!

17. jzihla

jzihla Karting

Mar 26, 2010
    Carlsbad and Kauai
    Full Name:
    John Zihla
    AWESOME.....pop top and straight cut gears......yah baby yaaaaaaaa

18. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    John

I happy to see that you came to your senses. Congratulations!! Diablo was definitely the right choice!

19. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    There is a silver 92 at John Scotti in Montreal. Not advertised, owned by a private guy but is for sale.

20. jzihla

jzihla Karting

Mar 26, 2010
    Carlsbad and Kauai
    Full Name:
    John Zihla
    Thanks I called them....nice knowledgeable folks.....he suggested I consider the convertible rather than the VT from an investment standpoint.... 400 built.....rare and typically convertibles go up first and higher than coupes....any thoughts?
    Z

21. jzihla

jzihla Karting

Mar 26, 2010
    Carlsbad and Kauai
    Full Name:
    John Zihla
    OK.....BACK TO THE FORUM....... DIABLO IT IS.....REMEMBER THIS IS A GREEDY INVESTOR PERSPECTIVE ONLY HERE.....I WILL TRY NOT TO FALL IN LOVE WITH THIS ONE!!! GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.......SO...... VT OR OPEN TOP DIABLO.....NICER DASH, OPEN AIR, LINES SUFFER WITH THE ROOF OFF......BUT WILL IT SOAR ABOVE VT PRICING IN 3-5 YEARS?.....BET GUESS AND WHY?
    Z

22. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

IMO a 550 would make a great driver GT car with no/little investment downside.
    However if you are looking for ROI choose the least practical car that you used to have posters of on your wall. Diablo.

23. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    99 Diablo Roadster for sure! Only 100 made!!

24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    #24 Shark01, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Lines SUFFER with top off? Are you INSANE?????
    Yes, yes you are...LOL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    #25 Shark01, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Concur, but GOOD '99s in great colors are extremely rare......which I guess is what this guy wants.

And are most convertibles a better investment than coupes? As Wayne Carini says "When the top comes down, the price goes up"

Sorry about the bad lines
    Image Unavailable, Please Login