Trying to Decide on a year, TR | FerrariChat

Trying to Decide on a year, TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kartboy1234, Dec 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I have been looking at different years on Testarossas. I like the 1987 model due to the single Lug and double mirror. I have found a 1990 that is really nice. Are there any major mechanical changes that would favor the 1990 over the '87? All things being equal, which year would you buy?

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    As you I prefer the look of the 87 for the wheels. But if you plan on driving it much the 5 lug are a bit safer. Other than that I don't think there are major différences. I have a 1990 and I love it. A very pleasant highway driver.

3. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I bet that I could get over the look of the wheels. I would like to drive the car a fair amount so maybe the 5 lug would be better.

4. mjh366

mjh366 Karting

Jul 26, 2007
    Kerrville Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike hoskins
    Many cars over the years have used center lug nuts with no problems. I have over 50K miles on my 88 T/R. just torque it to the correct # and enjoy. I bought a socket and breaker bar to check mine. 200 lb. 24 " from center of socket = close to the correct torque. An important aside, keep the splines and cone CLEAN thats very important in getting it all right.

5. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Some people think the 87s will appreciate more than 90 because of the wheels and lower numbers. I don't want to start another TR value firestorm though :) so I'll stop here.

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    To be honnest with you I think it could be right. 87 to 88.5 have the best look in my opinion. If I could have find one I would have buy it. But my color choice and budget were not open to all the cars I could find. I made a choice in what I could afford.

7. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I have looked at two '87's and they were really bad for what they wanted. Im seeing the 1990 next Wednesday or Thursday. I had someone look at it for me and they said that it was great. It is a bit more than what I would prefer to pay but its miles ahead of the others in terms of condition. I know that I wont be disappointed with any Testarossa.

8. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    I use a 3/4" drive torque wrench and torque to 325 ft-lbs as per the fectory spec.
    Close is good for horseshoes and hand grenades not center bolt wheels. :)

9. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yeah I wouldn't say that the '87s were bad just for being '87s. They just weren't treated well. For me, it came down to the state of the running gear, versus color or interior condition. Paint and interior can be redone at any price point, from cheap to super expensive; the running gear can't. I spent three years but found my '87 that only had 17k documented miles on it. Turns out it was my dream TR black/black anyway, but the paint and interior colors were gravy on top of the great condition of the running gear. :)

10. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    90 is the best!
    :)

11. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Listen to Harry's Garage video about the TR!

12. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    A little history to why the difference.

The 88.5-91 with the 5 lugs are better conditioned cars because in those 3 yrs they made the most of the TR line up with 3,000 units, coupled with the fact of the car boom many people paid the BOOM prices,for those cars and on a massive waiting list with Enzo dying. Some people paid close to 400k for a Testarossa back then , boxers were trading hands in the 400s and over as well.
    Then the bust came , many people put the car away.

The 84ish-88.5 saw the remaining production line , and less cars built and was also the first model back to sell globally. The Testarossa was the first 12 back in North America since the Daytona that was not a grey market car, so they got used, driven like a normal exotic by the wealthy. Those cars were not bought for speculation and shrink wrapped, that's why they are hard to find in well condition.

13. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Yea the cars that I saw that we '87s weren't loved. They were driven, put away wet, and not serviced. I am focusing more on interior and mechanical condition than paint color right now. If I really wanted a mechanically nice car can be painted.
    @Rpissm Im jealous that you found a nice black on black.
    @Okiedude Let me guess, '90 is best because you have a conflict of interest haha
    Im excited to possible have a car before Christmas or the new year.

14. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

This ^^^^

15. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Never looked at it like that b4 but it makes sense. In fact lookin at Redheaded.com when u add them up its probaby nearer 4k made 88.5-91. No wonder there's a few ridiculously low mile/unused ones around!

Yeah I remember reading the car mags over here and seeing a Testarossa at 250k GBP - thought I'd never get one - but thanks to the collector car market crash I finally got here (about 20 years later lol). I remember reading in the paper someone trying to swap their house for a Countach S at 180k GBP! A few years later the cars were down to 35k, so depending on how long they kept onto the car they will have either lost a small fortune or made a small fortune!

Dom.