Anyone know these TR's? | FerrariChat

Anyone know these TR's?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by mweiser, Dec 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mweiser

mweiser Rookie

Nov 15, 2010
    Southern California
    Hey everyone, my name is Mike and live in Los Angeles area. I am a Ferrari enthusiast and currently have an 89 328GTB. I am interested in getting a great condition Testarossa next and see a few for sale at Kessler Auto Group in Florida. I would appreciate any information you might have on these cars and any feedback on working with Kessler. I don't know much about TR's so any advice would be great.

The 91 has 29k miles with VIN#ZFFSG17A1M0086841

The 89 has 11k miles with VIN#ZFFSG17A9K0079956

2. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Congrats on the 328. The '89 GTB is a remarkable car. Do you have the chassis number on hand?

Your experience with a TR will be different than with the late GTB. Amongst 328, the late GTB is kind of an icon. The TR's you are considering, although wonderful cars like all 3x8 series Ferraris, are not iconic versions within the model.

If you enjoy that aspect of your ownership experience so far you may want one of the more iconic TR variants as well. I suppose a 1991 TR with a high pre-512 c/n could be considered the "last of the line" for the original TR, but it doesn't share the same place in the lineup as the 1989 GTB does amongst 3x8 cars.

3. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #3 msdesignltd, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    I actually think they both look good..

If your budget is within reach of either go with you instinct..

Surely by spring you will pay more .

I have bought 4 testarossa's this year alone...I have never looked back..
    If you do some dilligence, you won't either.

He who hesitates, Loses out!

4. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Hey Mike! Im also in LA.....just took the TR out for a run today.

Personally I would prefer to buy a TR that was in need of a major and a price that reflected it. That way you could be part of the process. But....I didnt heed my own advice as mine came with a fresh major.

5. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    OH David, just noticed it was you,
    where can we see some great shots of your 512???
    By the sound of your post, it seems you pic the 328 to be the next " Jumper "...
    You May be Right!

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    mweiser, can you do service and maintenance on your 328 by yourself then you also can do this on the TR. but if you are not working yourself on the cars then it would be good to have some with you to inspect the TR before you will buy it. there could be so many problems when you don´t know that you easy will overpay the car. good luck :)

7. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi Michael,

Nice the hear from you. I used to own 328 GTS c/n 80360 but exchanged it in 2009 for my plastic 308 GTB c/n 19567. That car's mentioned in a few threads on the site. I haven't "found" 80360 since its depart from my custodianship, but I would love to know its whereabouts. It was a wonderful clean car.

I have no idea which car will be the next "jumper," but I am certain that any 3x8 Ferrari (or flat-12 Ferrari, since we're on the Boxer section, or any Ferrari at all, since we're all tifosi) will always be a rewarding car to own.

All the best,
    David

8. mweiser

mweiser Rookie

Nov 15, 2010
    Southern California
    I have had the 328 for about 4 years now. It's #80054. It has 36k miles and is in great condition. The previous owners took proper care of it. I feel very lucky to have it considering its condition and how rare it is.

I agree with you on the TR variants. I would certainly prefer a later model 512 but they are getting harder and harder to find - especially within reason.

9. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Congrats again. Although it's entirely subjective, I think it's neat to have a 328 with a c/n >80xxx. It's especially unique and desirable to have one >81xxx.