2 512 BBi's at Bonhams Scotttsdale | FerrariChat

2 512 BBi's at Bonhams Scotttsdale

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by gbutler, Dec 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Does anyone have first hand knowledge of either of the two BBi's that Bonhams is selling in Scottsdale? From catalogue description both cars seem to be nice, low mile specimens with complete history, books, tools, etc with the only negative being driven very little over the last few years and thus needing major service and I am sure other mechanical work to replace various consumable parts, etc.

Nevertheless, a reserve of 140 to 180k on each car seems rather low. If I could buy either car for that type of # perhaps I need to pick another one up for my collection:) What are everyone's thoughts concerning the reserves on these cars?

2. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
  3. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The black car serial # is in the uber zone
    You could not get a better id#
    Should go near 400 +and then some change!

Auction listed it low to garner bidders no doubt!

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    figure 25k-35k to fully sort. Black car looks sweet.

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #5 ross, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2014
    whats the piece of metal showing in the front grill bottom of the black one?

i see the amerispec sticker on the red one - that is a good thing since they did the best conversion imo. btw, you can get copies of all of the original docs for that car from dick fritz.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

seems rather low. would expect a two handle at minimum and possibly a 3. these may go cheaply!!

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #7 boxerman, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    Well we are going to get a very good look at whata BBi is worth at this auction.

Who is bidding, I say we buy the black one an d send to newman.

8. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

This is the range Hagerty gives for these cars on their "Valuation" tool. When the hammer falls you will see what someone is willing to spend and as we all know pictures are very hard to determine as to the true condition of a car. Has it been started?, The front look very low and the rear looks like plenty of rust and grunge on suspension and exhaust.

My guess is every system needs to be redone. Probably would push upwards of 40K to get this car sorted and not have worries, if it does not run and if the rings or other internal engine parts are damaged who knows.

Black car should sell for over $250K from the info we have been given by people looking for a Boxer on this site in the last 6 months.

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    bumpers need redoing. Dash warped. If mtor not seized the injection needs doing plus all the usual bits.

Shocks need redoing as will be brake calipers. all hoses everywhere, probably need to recore the radiator to be safe.

Interior looks Ok.

So the question, what shape is the paint in. What does underside look like.

At 180-200k you woudl probably come out ok in static market ie at 250k once runnign properly.

But done right its a meuseum car, something in theory still very orig so it may stretch to 300k.

If you think boxers are going to go up over 5 years this is probably the one to get, once redone have a great car for 250k where everythign works.

Anybody going to be there who can check it out, I am interested.

11. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

Additionally we may get a sense of price spread bbi v bb carb and here his how. Using the numbers from above, recall the dusty red modified bb from NV that gullwing bought, sold, re-bought then recently sold again with ask of $259k? Well, somebody remains very bullish on the market.

I just left the shop that has the car and is doing a fair amount of work; recall dash/console/ac changes need correcting; major service; checking all systems etc etc...paint looks very nice as does remaining interior. I understand that the car will be offered for sale when work completed. I do not know the potential asking price.

Jack

12. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris

Will try to get there and take comprehensive pics.

13. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    questions for newman.

- when you say the dash is warped, are you referring to the leather over the glove box riding up into a 'smile'? if so, then i read an interesting thread on here a while back about how the guy took it apart and rubbed the inside with body lotion, hung some weights on it, and stretched it back out, and then glued it back into place to make a straight line again. do you have a better way?

- and again, what is that piece of metal sticking out of the bottom of the left side of the grill on the black one?

14. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    My Guess:
    A front license plate bracket (possibly from a US version 308) was attached to the front bumper and appears to be either severely bent or partially dismounted.

Dave

15. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I am buying them both, for $140k each. I am also hiring a N Korean hacker to take down the auction website, just after my bids are in.

16. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I suspect the black car will bring at least double the estimated range. The Boxer was the most undervalued Ferrari of all and the reality is the final year BBis are the best of them.