Some parts hard to find? | FerrariChat

Some parts hard to find?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by N17RO, Dec 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Hello Gents,

I have sourced almost all the parts I need for my car to bring it back to fully usable condition and to remove all of the modifications that were done by the previous owner. I'm most of the way through the easy cosmetic changes with just the spoiler and side skirts to be returned to stock.

I have all the electrical parts and brake parts either purchased or sourced but I am still struggling to find the below:

I've searched for new shock absorbers front and rear and cannot find anyone with these in stock. I know there are rebuild options but as this car has not been actively used for years I would like to replace all the old ones when I do all the bushings ect.

I'm being told the BF Goodrich have now also stopped making the rear tyres for our cars which is a bummer as I've just sourced and bought a fully refurbished original of wheels set to replace the after market ones currently on the car. I have tried relentlessly today and everyone says nope to any manufacturer for the rear sizes.

I may also need to be replacing the steering rack. I've seen a lot of posts about rebuilding it but this is not something I want to try myself. Are there places you can buy either very good refurbished ones or new?

Thanks

2. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Tyres are available, the original Michelin for example. But they are expensive.

Suggest you take a look at Toyo and others as they do still make the correct size but are optimised for track and so a softer compound. Might not be good in snow or really wet conditions though.

HTH

P

3. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    BF Goodrich still makes the 255/50ZR16 rear tires--go with the Comp-2s not drag radials. Available here: Using Cookies

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    What changes were made Ro ?

Did you ever find out WHY they changed these things ?

5. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Mostly were cosmetic and others I think as their service provider was poor.

There were aerials bonded to the rear deck, the black plastic vents and door panels had been painted and other items bonded to it. Which is a shame as the interior was in excellent condition otherwise.

The previous owner was shocked when I said I was putting it back to stock as he loved it. Each to their own as they say.

6. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    for you shocks you can have the oem redone in new condition like i did. if this is what you want let me know i will post the info. you will not find this new.

7. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Thanks. I have someone that can do a rebuild but wondered if they still made them as Koni sometimes use the same unit across several platforms and still manufacture. But looks like Ill be going down the rebuild route.

8. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    That is the best way.

9. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Hello Gents.

I have sourced and installed all my parts needed and tires with one exception I Still cannot find a link or thread that points me in the right direction for the steering rack bushes. My right hand side has a little up and down play and we want to rebuild it.

Any ideas?

10. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I don't know if it's the same as the 308 but a Pantera bushing could work. Order from P.I. Motorsports. I did it a couple times in Pantera and once in a 308. Easy job. If you search the web for Pantera rack bushing there is nice how-to with pictures.

11. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'd definitely be careful of stickier tires. I've read in Forza that it is a major suspension failue issue on 308's. Any possibility that this could be part of the cause of the differential failures?

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    No Jim, not at all possible.

DO read the appropriate threads and you will know WHAT causes the oem diffs to (all) break.

The Question in this thread is: Some parts hard to find?

The answer must be YES !

F.I. : (not complete ar all:) )

* all light(ing)s ... try to get TR or 512TR/M front lights or rearlamps

* fuseboxes

* brakecaliper oem parts

* rear windows

13. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Did you contact our title sponsor: Ricambi

Ferrari Parts : 131689 STEERING BOX : Ricambi America

Mike

14. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    IIRC Koni offers a rebuild service as they cannot be sourced new.

If you dont mind, Please post a couple 'in transition' pics. Its always cool to see our birds being transformed to their former glory.

Im assuming you have a single lug car.....yes tire options are limited.

15. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Thanks for the input guys.

I only need to repair the steering rack now all other parts are completed.

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
  17. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
  18. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    As another guy in the UAE with a TR, I know the steering rack issue only too well.

The nylon bushing on the passenger side breaks with age (the speed bumps here do not help).

I removed my whole rack to see what had happened and purchased a new bronze replacment bushing which I honed to fit the rack with proper clearance (the bushing is manufactured with an undersize ID so it must be honed to fit). You will also likely need new rubber steering rack boots - at least for the side with the bushing (I think Superformance sells them individually).

In hindsight, I could have left the rack in place and just removed the boot and tie rod from the right side, assuming I could get all the old bits of broken nylon bushing out. Removing the whole rack is a real pain. In any event you will need to get the alignment checked after the bushing is replaced.

I got the steering bushing from Rock's Auto Restoration (i.e. 'Rock') on Fchat.

My Konis were rebuilt as good as new by Koni in the US.

Good luck with it.

19. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx John ! Informative for the future because more owners will face these problems in due time ...

20. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Hi John thanks for the info. Youre a star.

PM me if you fancy meeting up for a coffee and chat about the cars.

21. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Sure, I need to exercise my TR some time anyways. Another friend has a 512TR and we go for breakfast runs on occasion. Having a third TR join us would be worth a few photos.

I will pm my mobile number.

22. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Good to talk to you today John.
    Once the car is all good I'd love to be part of a breakfast run.