Time for another clutch | FerrariChat

Time for another clutch

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by qwazipsycho, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Aloha - Time for another clutch.

I've finally saved my pennies to buy the most expensive clutch I've ever had to buy...for the 3rd time. Well it has been 15 years.

So I'm here to solicit advice. Where to buy the clutch (will go to TRut's if nothing else) and I've seen a few aftermarket clutches on here but don't know if it's worth trying to get something "better". Tell me your stories.

A word of advice from me - Don't let others drive your TR. My professional race car driver friend spun it on the track and hit a tire wall. My professional race car driving BROTHER smoked my clutch trying to put the car on a transport for me.

TRUST NO ONE! They don't know your car.

OK Clutch stories please.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I have in my BB and also in my TR koenig competition a 2 disks of sintered metal clutch and have no problem anymore. but it is hard to start driving - it is like digital - works or works not. so to start driving from standing you need more rpm otherwise the engine will stall. but you will get used soon to this

and right: never give your TR to someone else to "testdrive" :)

3. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I did mine last October.
    Clutchmasters in /southern California relined with Kevlar and resurfaced the entire unit for $1,000ish. Maranello Classics in the UK has the correct T/O bearing for $477ish. They supply Ferrari and Ferrari marks it up to $800ish. So buy direct and save.

4. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hmmm, I don't like that idea. When my clutch was perfect (before my brother drove it) it was super easy to start from a dead stop. It was just like driving a diesel truck. You just rest your foot on the throttle and let the clutch out. When the clutch pedal is fully released, then you can get on the throttle. No clutch slipping and I almost never stalled it. Even on steep inclines this was the best was to go.

Whenever I hear a somebody slipping a clutch my first thought is they don't know how to drive the car. So that's the last thing I want people to hear as I leave.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have a centerforce, works great, just needs to be installed without the shims regular clutches use.

6. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hey Sean, Where did you buy it? The Centerforce website doesn't even list Ferrari.

7. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    So I just talked to Clutchmasters in SoCal and they will take my existing piece of **** clutch and rebuild it, resurface my flywheel and setup everything correctly so all I have to do it bolt it in. It's only $1000. That's dirt cheap! Anybody have anything bad to say about it??

8. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Correct. Send them the entire clutch unit, flywheel/pressure plate, spacers etc. They clean it up, reline it and send it back. Shipping will probably cost you an arm and a leg.....but you are used to that. Do a Testarossa forum search for 'Clutchmasters', There are a couple of members who have had them do the clutches (Shamile, Juri, JTR,) They will also balance and mark it with paint.

9. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Considering they are less than 1/2 the cost, I don't mine taking it in the shorts on freight.

10. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    3 clutches? Maybe none of you know how to drive.

Holy moly.

R

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    :) :) :)

Exchanged mine after 50.000 mls ...

12. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Don't make rude assumptions sir:

That's over a 15 year ownership period. It includes the original clutch which was well used when I bought the car. I only replaced that one because the throw out bearing seized and I had to tear into it anyway. That was after about 3 years of ownership. After replacing, I drove on that clutch for 6 years without a flaw. Then I moved to Hawaii and let my brother drive it onto the transporter for shipping. He COOKED the clutch in the process. When I received it here in Hawaii it chattered from the glazing. I drove it like that for about a year when my differential divorced itself. After sitting for a couple years I tackled the diff but put pieces from the first 2 clutches in to try and make it a bit better. It was better but I'm tired of the occasional chatter. After this replacement, I stick to the rule come hell or high water!!! NOBODY DRIVES MY F CAR!!!

So take that little history lesson into consideration when making ignorant statements about my driving ability!

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    same with my F cars, and nearly nobody likes to go with me because of my driving :)

14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Maybe include that info in the original post/background set up. A statement of 3 in 15 years wihtout much more info is going to raise a few eyebrows.

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Buy the ap racing unit from rutlands. Don't go cheapie rebuild.

16. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #16 Mr.Chairman, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    I'm ignorant. Right. I'm the one that is putting in my 3rd clutch. I'm also the one that let someone out the car on a tow truck and roasted the clutch. I'm also the one that was too ignorant to smell or see smoke from the roasting clutch. Then I'm also the ignorant one to continue to drive the car with a roasted clutch and got tired of the chatter. Then to top it off I'm also the ignorant one to actually take my clutch apart and try to take pieces from other used clutches that I have in my stock to try and make 1 good clutch. Got it. I'm ignorant. Watch your mouth. You asked for it. Just saying. Yeah nobody should drive your fcar. Including you. 3 clutches. Ever hear of a tow hook. All you have to do is make sure the flat bed has a winch. Then go in your tool pouch and get the tow hook out and pull her up nice and slow. Oh. If you don't have a tow hook buy or borrow one so you have it when the truck arrives. Oh. But I'm ignorant. I forgot. I can keep going. Haven't even got to the throw bearing yet but I'll cut it Again. Watch your mouth.

R

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #17 Melvok, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    OK Mel, I give in mate, you have the car :D

P

19. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Haven't I gone through this **** with you before Robbie? Geez, some people don't know when to STFU! It's not worth my time responding.....PFFT!!! When you come down off your high horse....ya you won't....

You give forums like this a bad name.

20. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    +1

Rgds,
    VIncenzo

21. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Ferraristi

3 clutches Qwazi?? Geez....maybe a girly paddle shifter might be better for you lol JUST KIDDING !! :D

As mentioned I had my clutch pack refurbished and relined with Kevlar at Clutchmasters. They really did a good job even replacing one of those metal tabs that are held down by rivets.

One thing though. The clutch material is a little too thick and the clutch is over centered. At high rpms, the clutch pedal will stay down. It pops up as soon as you let off the accelerator pedal. I asked Clutch masters about this and they really didn't have any answer. I suspect that that's the standard thickness of material that they get. It took me about 5000 miles of driving to eliminate the problem. As the clutch material wore down, the clutch came back to center. I've had no problems since and I love shifting gears at redline.

One nice thing is that the clutch material doesn't give off any dust....or very little. The whole bell housing is very clean....and I daily drive my TR even in heavy Florida rain.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you are sure that this is/was not the crankshaft moving a little forwards and back?
    I had this problem once with a BMW M 3

23. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Good to know. And thanks for being light hearted about it. :)

BTW - I watched The Lady's Man the other night. It reminded me of you! HA!!

24. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    When I was turning wrenches professionally back in late 80's for Chrsyler, we used to see these 3.3L V6 engines that would wear a groove in the crank from the thrust bearing. The crank would move so far forward in the block it would slip off the rear main seal and gush out all the oil. They usually had less than 30K miles on them. Kinda like the TR diff...Oh, I'm gonna catch hell for sayin that.

25. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Ferraristi,

I guess I didn't word things correctly. Clutchmasters are the ones that told me that the clutch is over-centered due to the thickness of the Kevlar material. I asked them what I could do about it and that's where they didn't have an answer. But...after 5000 miles the Kevlar wore down enough that I don't have this problem at all anymore. I can shift the car at redline and the clutch pedal comes up as I bring it up with my foot....no problem.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!