What do you clean your aluminum parts with? | FerrariChat

What do you clean your aluminum parts with?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Jan 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #1 rpissm, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    Hey everyone,

What do you use to clean your tender aluminum car parts? I've been looking at degreasers etc and either they say not to use on aluminum, or if you do use it on aluminum, you need to rinse repeatedly with water afterward. I'm beginning my fuel distributor rebuild and was wondering what I can use, as the idea of rinsing fuel system parts with water just seems wrong to me.

Thanks!
    Just as an edit, I'm looking just to use degreaser etc to clean the outside of everything, not the inside. I saw a thread by Shamile where he mentions Simple Green and a toothbrush, maybe a Scotchbrite pad here and there. Do you concur?

2. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I concur with the Simple Green and a toothbrush but not the Scotchbrite, it can scratch the aluminum. The Simple Green can be harmful to aluminum if left in contact for long periods (hours/days), and it must be rinsed well but will get the job done nicely--use less dilution if you have a lot of buildup. I use it often on the TR. Rinse with hot water and blow out all areas with compressed air. A parts cleaning brush works better than scotchbrite (won't scratch). Aerosol Brake Parts Cleaner can knock off the initial sludge and dries almost instantly--watch your paint. Another option is spray-on Super Purple which is like Simple Green only slightly more caustic--use rubber gloves with this stuff.

Having said all that, my go-to for bare aluminum is usually lacquer thinner--use in a well-ventilated area but it will get off most anything, including paint.

I'm anxious to hear how your FD rebuild goes, I saw the rebuild kits popping up on eBay lately and am wondering if that is a good way to go vs. sending them out to a pro.

3. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    You know there is a lot of water in Simple Green, and Simple Green is a mild acid. To clean something you are going to use acids, caustics, or elbow grease.

4. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #4 rpissm, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    Cool thanks for the info guys and I'll let you know how the FD rebuild goes! Right now I'm just about to take off the intake manifolds. I'm going to test the performance of the fuel injectors first (taking them out of their sleeves, mount them in glass olive jars and jump the fuel pump) to see how they spray. Wish me luck!

5. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    I've used coke and a toothbrush on my BMWs (Coca Cola, not the white stuff)

6. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    :)

7. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    It's no wonder an engine out service costs $10K

8. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #8 msdesignltd, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I use Tough Stuff...red/yellow can...water based detergent aerosol spray on rough aluminum.
    Oxy clean spray is also good.
    On polished aluminum...Nuvite.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I use Simple Green on everything except POLISHED aluminum.
    Cast parts, engine paint, chassis paint, no problem.
    I rinse with water and blow-dry with compressed air. No big deal.
    I do cover and/or seal delicate electronics but that is all.
    I've been doing this to various cars I've owned over the last 20 years with no problems, and each one started right up after the engine bay clean-up process.

I wouldn't recommend it on your external paint and would hesitate to use it on plexiglas without testing first.

11. SFM5s159

SFM5s159 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2014
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Mike C
    Are you using the multi-purpose foam cleaner Tough-Stuff? I Googled it and that's what came up....

Engine bay looks great BTW...

Mike

12. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes thats it....Very Mild, must be used successivly...meaning about 3 or 4 applications ,
    Must leave about a minute on so it can sink in...then I wipe with micro fibre cloths.
    I have tried everything this stuff is my fav.
    all purpose product..works great on interior too...

13. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #13 Shamile, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    WOW! I gotta go get me some of that Simple Green! How much did you dilute it?

15. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Ferraristi,

Don't dilute it. Buy a high quality ZEP spray bottle from Home Depot and spray full strength while brushing with the toothbrush. Don't wash it off but use old pieces of cloth to wipe it up. Only after you completely finish, wash it down with water to neutralize any remaining chemical.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

16. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I clean all my alumimium parts using glass bead in a blast cabinet. This sheen polishes and seals the surface to prevent easy marking. Any method that opens the pores of the surface is bad news. The finished part comes out with a regular factory finish, and it's really quick to do.

17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Will a flat 12 fit in your blast cabinet?;)

18. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Ferraristi,

Haha.....I was thinking the same thing lol

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    in my blast cabinet it will fit, but only dismanteled
    but this I do only when I overhaul a complete engine
    and it is a lot of work to close all holes and also to clean after because the dust is all over

20. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Why would any normal human being (and i use the word normal rather loosely) into a blast cabinet?? Abrasive cleaning is a last resort when it comes to cleaning aluminium and even more so when it comes to a 12 cylinder. One word ......liquid laundry soap diluted to spray out of a bottle of spray tank. Rinse in hot water and you have a clean 12 cylinder!!! :)

21. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The title of the thread is how do you clean alumimium parts. If the alumimium parts are corroded soap and water will take forever. Depending on the part glass bead at low pressure is a very gentle way of cleaning the part leaving a factory finish. The glass beads are silky to touch, not like grit.

22. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
  23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    but the glass beads are going everywhere and you have to clean carefully. more than once it happened that some of those beads going intot he oilsystem and soon after you have damaged crankshaft

24. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    yes don't use glass bead on assembled parts and make sure everything is very clean afterwards before reassembly.

25. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    You don't use glass beads on aluminum period. Glass beads (or any abrasive matter for all purposes) have a nasty habit of imbedding into the pores of the metal. Even after a cleaning some stay behind. Once the metal is heated again, they free themselves and move into the lubricants and coolants to play havoc with your new parts. If you have to use an abrasive you might try walnut shells or plastic media. I prefer cleaning aluminum with a secret formula you find in the store shelves. Been around for years and works to remove all the crap without harm to the metal.