Testarossa warning buzzer | FerrariChat

Testarossa warning buzzer

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by martinperry, Jan 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    Noob question here.
    Just got my "new"1991 TR delivered. LHD, 11K miles - originally supplied to Middle east from the UK, then immediately bounced to Japan, so not 100% what "market" it is made to (definitely not US)
    Taken it out for a VERY short blat around the block - 0 deg, icy roads, mud etc, so VERY short. All warmed up properly, but on the couple of times I got it to about 5000RPM, there was a warning buzzer sounding. Is this normal? No lights on dash, and although oil wasnt roaring hot due to the low ambient, it was about 1/4 of the way up the gauge.
    My suspicion is I was being chastised for revving to hard on cold oil, but any guidance gratefully received.
    Otherwise, blown away by the way it drives - the torque is brilliant (Im used to a F355 / Mondial)

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No. There's a buzzer for low oil pressure or high cat temp. What version or engine family do you have (at the end of production they made some "CAT" version euros) -- i.e., does it have cats and/or cat ecus (inboard of the right rear wheel by the accumulator on that side)?

3. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    Pretty sure its non cat - Will double check, but there's no "unleaded" warnings. The oil pressure gauge was bang on the middle at Idle - didnt check where it was at 5K, but no lights, and certainly nothing to catch my eye.

4. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    #4 martinperry, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    What is the engine family marking shown on the top of the engine block above cyl #6 -- should be something like F113B...

6. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    #6 Total Recall, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    Hi Martin, glad you have got your Testarossa now and enjoyed your first drive!

Just a thought, is the buzzer defnitely RPM related - and not speed related? Was just wondering if with it having been in Japan, maybe some kind of speed warning buzzer had been fitted?

What gear were you in at 5000 rpm (on a private road ofc!)

I`m not suggesting you go out and try it again though until you have determined it`s not an oil pressure related warning.

I can`t see even a later Testarossa being advanced enough to warn you the oil is not hot enough for your RPM`s though!

I`m sure Steve will confirm for sure but I think 1/4 scale (which is midway between 140 degrees and 210 degrees f on a UK car) - is about warmed up. I don`t know how acurate or linear the scale is - but it doesn`t have to sit around half way like the water temp does.

I don`t think I`ve ever even seen my oil get half way - though I`m sure it can get that high if driven hard for a period of time.

The handbook on my 86 Uk car says don`t press the accelerator fully until 150-160 degrees is reached (that`s not the exact figure but I remember it being about that).

Anyway, hope you solve the mystery buzzer and have fun driving it again soon.

Dom

7. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Come to think of it, just so you aren`t needlessly worrying about your water temp too - I think my water actually sits midway between 1/4 and 1/2 scale - but does regularly get to half way in traffic before the cooling fans come on.

Bear in mind though gauge accuracy may vary from car to car.

Dom.

8. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    Engine is F113B 25693
    Ive just run it up stationary, and Oil pressure is 6 (BAR?) midway up gauge @ Idle, rising to 8 or so @ 5000RPM. Interestingly, no buzzer today - I wonder if it was telling me something else?
    As a thought, one of the engine cover catches is not engaging - It sits flush,, but I wonder if its lifting at speed. Does that have an associated buzzer?

9. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    Thanks Dom - Only a small (unsalted) Backroad, so no more than 70 or so - Would be suprised if a speed warning is that low (Or at least it had survived 24 years without being ripped out anyway!!)

10. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Yeah that`s a good point! Speed warning buzzer was really just a thought - though I did read that they can be around 60 MPH on some Jap stuff.

I`ll leave it to some more experienced people to advise on your oil pressure as I don`t want to lead you up the wrong path!

It`s reading quite high compared to mine which reads 45 psi (about 3 bar) hot idle and 85 psi (about 6 bar) at speed - if I`ve worked that out right (14.5 psi to 1 bar).

However that`s all based on the factory gauge which could be way off on either of our cars....

Dom.

11. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
  12. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    Where do you live? I live in Akasaka in Central Tokyo and have a 92 512TR. My baby is hibernating now but in the spring I plan on taking her down one of the great drives(Izu skyline, Toyo tires turnpike, Hakone skyline....Let's go for a drive!

13. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    Also I know a good shop for service in Tokyo. They will come pick it up and are 1/4 of the price of the F dealer. I usually import my parts and let them do the service. They did my full engine out for around 3.5K USD (not including parts).

14. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    Alex
    Thanks for the offer
    Unfortunately I live just north of London!

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Pitty this riddle is still going on (not solved) .... :)

16. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    OK,
    Definitley a speed related warning - seems to be 110km, so, I assume a Japanese addition, though car not Jap market.
    Does anyone have any experience with locating / killing these?

17. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    My guess would be to look for a black(?) relay looking box tucked in behind the drivers side carpet.....behind the speaker 'grill" by your foot. Or somewhere in that area. Most of the wires that are connected to the instrument pod are routed through that area. Look for some sort of aftermarket job that is spliced into a factory wire. Follow the wires up into the instrument pod. Im guessing you will find a little something extra that makes a sound.

My second guess would be somewhere in the fuse panel or by the brake/clutch fluid resivour (sp).

Good luck and let us know what you find.

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There is quire a bit of available space behind the passengers footrest as well.

110km buzzer?

That sucks. It needs to go.

That's like second gear or so.

If you post the complete VIN we can tell you what market the car was built for if it matters to you.

19. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #19 Melvok, Mar 13, 2015
    In my 512TR year 1992 there are two relais # 13 and # 14 on fig 126 Valves and Relays (Eurospares)

# 13 says: Ferrari Testarossa (1990) - SEAT BELTS CONTROL UNIT FOR US, Part No. 136133, supercedes To Part No. 137667 - Until car No 76573

It is also installed in the TR .... 512TR, 512M, 348, Mondial which have No. 137667

says: Ferrari 348 (2.7 Motronic) - ACOUSTIC SIGNAL WITH ELECTROMAGNETIC SWITCH FOR BRAKES WARNING LIGHT CONTROL

# 14 says: SIGNAL INDICATOR RELAY AND HAZARD, Part No. 61048000 and is installed in most F cars.

Imo, it is here a matter of a faulty relay # 13

Pull it out !

Only after 5 years I found it (relay #13) ... hidden above the rhs under the dash. It gave me all that time a red fault centralbrakelamp warninglight.

Pulled it out .... and never saw this (wrong) warning message again. Relay opened and it was burnt inside.

Just try ....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    Thanks for the advice
    Car is a "B" euro / mid east market, so the buzzer is obviously a Japan addition
    Will start the hunt in the foot wells
    I'm not sure if the buzze is the same one that is factory installed for key in ignition, hood open etc or not.
    When I find the bugger, I'll just cut the wire!,

21. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
  22. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    #22 martinperry, May 1, 2015
    Well I got the time today to trace the mystery buzzer.
    Turns out it was a factory part for Arabian markets - Clearly marked as 120Kmh!
    Arabs are obviously less trustworthy than the Japanese WRT speeding.
    It lives on the side panel of the centre console on the passenger footwell for anyone else who finds the same problem
    Left it there and just pulled the plug in case my kids ever decide to use it!
    Also points to a VERY cosseted former life in Japan (Unless the previous owner was deaf!!)
    Pics of the little blighter below!!

23. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Thanks for sharing ; I drove my F512M yesterday on the hwy , I heard the buzz as well ; mine was imported from Japan and it is original Japanese Ferrari Dealer car. I would try to find if I can find the same part as what you described here.