512TR Coolant temp sensors | FerrariChat

512TR Coolant temp sensors

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by tf308, Jan 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Has anyone here changed their coolant temp sensors with the engine in the car?

They are easily seen, but seem well guarded by the intake runners.

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hi Tim, are they not the blue sensors that you easily see Left and right ? Cost $ 15,00 each ?

3. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Those are the ones. You can easily see them, and I know that "if you can see them...then you can get to them"...but I wanted to know if anyone has actually done it.

I pulled my injectors out (very easy) and plan to send them off for cleaning and flow bench testing. By removing the wiring harness that connects to the injectors, it looks like it may open up access just a little.

However, I still think that this looks like doing heart surgery through the bones of the rib cage.

4. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Changed them yesterday.

You need a 19mm deep well socket, a 6 inch socket extension, and a swivel union.

You need the swivel piece because you can not go straight down to the sensor. Very easy.

One side note, I had removed my fuel rail and injectors as I have sent them out for cleaning.

5. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I don't remember the part number, but I got mine from Rock auto ....two were around $20