Door insulation replacement | FerrariChat

Door insulation replacement

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by UpNorth, Jan 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Hello everyone this is your noob mecanics here,

What should I use to replace the thick film insulator in the doors of my TR?
    It looks like some kind of vapor repellant or something like this.
    Since the door is now open and I'll do some work in there I might just replace that thing that is holding barely with duct tape (someone went there before me for shure).
    Some one talk to me about some kind of self adhesive liner. Any of you know what it could be and where in Canada I can source that?

TIA to all.

2. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2 302Tim, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    The original plastic/vinyl water shield is ~6 mils thick. I found near-perfect 6 mil replacement material at Home Depot or Lowes, sold as plastic sheeting in a long roll. The manufacturer is Husky and it comes in 10x100' rolls. This was as close as I could find. The color is very slightly gray (vs. black) and the texture is also slightly different, but it will perform the same and (hopefully) never be seen again on your car. The original was not self-adhesive, Pininfarina applied white (~19mm wide) double-sided tape along all the inner door lengths and stuck the sheet to that--you probably have some gooey residual as the tape doesn't hold up well over the years. On the bottom they cut flaps to tuck into the door panel and sealed with strips of wide (~75mm) black vinyl tape. Its a pain to install like the original--in front of the window winder cable and behind the door lock rods. The hardest part is the top where the sheet was installed & taped then the two upper window cable pulleys were inserted through the sheet.

3. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Thanks Tim,
    Someone told me to go see car audio installers, they might have something for that.
    I'll come back when I find the "right stuff".
    Thanks again.

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #4 Melvok, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You mean this **** ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    LOL! I mean like in your last pic, the grey ****.
    I do not have the white ****.
    The grey one seems to be against moisture, what is the white one for?

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Ha ha Francois, it was THIS that I found inside my door. It seems to be OEM.

White **** stuff keeps water away from the (512TR only) lifting motor I think ...

Any plastic would do ... even a garbage bag foil ...

7. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #7 302Tim, Feb 4, 2015
    The testarossa has the same setup but (at least on my 1988.5) both barriers were black plastic. The inner shield goes between the window lifting motor/mechanism and the inner door frame. The outer shield seals over the entire outer door frame (stuck to the white tape) and taped at the bottom.

The outer shield is actually two pieces at the bottom taped together to make flaps that tuck in the three door cavities. Then the entire bottom was taped over with the wide black tape. Also from the factory they originally sealed both sides of each of the three bottom flaps to the metal framework with automotive "dum-dum" putty. PITA to replace or replicate but the factory actually did a pretty good job of sealing the doors from the elements. Let us know if you find the "correct" material. If you come up short I have plenty of the black plastic and I made cutting templates from my old watershields.

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    :) Looks brandnew Tim ! Why was it opened ?

And was it the same mess as in mine behind the foils ?

Note: on my pics you can see the new system for lifting the glass that is not in the Testa's

I have a complete 512TR set (so left and right) for sale if anyone is interested

9. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Thanks Tim,

I will be travelling in the next few weeks so I will not be working on my TR for some time.
    There was only an outside plastic barrier in my door. No inner shield, so it confirms that someone went in there before me. There is some spots with "dum-dum" putty as you mentionned...not a nice sight.
    I will report back...eventually! :)

10. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Formula Junior

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #10 OptimusPrime, Feb 5, 2015
    I also replaced the film inside the door as someone was in there and it was torn and not in the proper position. However, I did use Dynamat for the doors between the metal and panel (see photo) I also used it on the floor under the carpet throughout the car. It did not interfere with the fitment of the panels and everything lines up nicely. Like other cars I have done this with, it takes away all the unwanted "go cart" like road and wind noise that takes away from the image of a high end car, but does not interfere with the music of the flat 12. Also, if you do have a good stereo, this really helps as well. Not that you were asking abut this, but I thought I would share...not for everyone

Tom

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx 4 sharing Tom, very WELCOME here !

Please feel free to post (more) ... that is what this Forum is for: exchange of information worldwide !!

12. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    #12 UpNorth, Feb 27, 2015
    I did find the same material as Tom used but found it not easy to work with.
    So I finally found this auto adhesive vapour barrier with a felt like side. It was lighter than Dynamat and easier to work. Funny, I found this at an industrial roofer shop two doors from my plant...and since he's selling it in 300 feet rolls he gave me a "sample" :)
    I simply put the old insulation on top of it to make a patron. And then stick it partially and then finished the detail with an exacto.
    Hope this help someone in the future. The noob mecanics is off to a glass of wine..or two!
    Sorry for the upside down pic. Don't know how to swing it 180 deg.
    The End.