want to buy a TR | FerrariChat

want to buy a TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jackgt, Jan 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    It is time for me to buy a Ferrari. I started looking at 308-328's. I can not believe what they want for them. I have always heard that the TR's were too expensive to own for the average guy. I have a full blown auto repair shop at home (in ground rotory lift etc) I am not afraid of pulling an engine or any mechanical things, but the electronic stuff that takes special Ferrari equipment to diagnose things scares me. I guess that 86-91 are affordable to buy (not a trailer queen) and info on the different years or what to stay away from would be helpful. If there is a post that went over this already let me know Also, why are ther no for sale by owner cars, just dealers?--Thanks

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I own a old 77 308 and a 1991 Testarossa, I've own a 87 Mondial and none of these are in my opinion any harder to work on or maintain than other cars. Personnally if I had to buy a car now at the price they are I think the Testarossa is the car to buy. Still cheap for a 12 cylinder Italian supercar icon. The 86-91 have almost no electronics. FI is Bosch mechanical injection with electronic controls which is not really complicated but there are ECU's.

I don't regret to have buy any of the Ferraris.

Not too many cars for sale by owners because I think when the prices were very low on the TRs the dealers bought many of them and stocked them waiting for the market to get stronger which is starting now.

I'm in Canada and there is actually not one single Testarossa for sale on all the web I know here. Dealer or owner.

Good luck ! And GO for it!!

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Owners love them and don't want to sell ! That is what a serious Testa Lover should do ... :)