485 hp 512 BB | FerrariChat

485 hp 512 BB

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by glabbe, Jan 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    There is a 1981 512 BB for sale on Hemmings. It is being sold by Autosports Design Inc. - Lotus MotorCars of Long Island. The car is listed as having a documented 5,700 miles on the odometer and the asking price is $395,000.

The ad claims that car car is putting out 485 horsepower based on being fitted with LM pistons and camshafts. The question I have is would those modifications be able to produce 485 hp?

If this is a viable modification, what a cool mod to make if you had to rebuild the engine. The car would look original but would absolutely kick-ass. You would definitely need to make the differential modification.

What does anyone think of the modification? Would it add value to the car or would the car lose value because it was not original?

By the way the add just showed up today and the seller claims the car is already sold.

Here is a link to the add.

1981 Ferrari 512BB Berlinetta Boixer for sale | Hemmings Motor News

2. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Its possibly a typo or maybe they havent listed all the work done. The LM version made its power with significantly more than just what they state.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    As long as he gives no dyno-proof this is worth nothing imo :)

4. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

Car has been on-site over 1 week; see "Boxer prices" thread. I called the dealer before price & history listed on ad. My initial thought was yes, seems "under-priced", when compared to recent bb prices/results. Perhaps engine work 'holding down' a bit vs stock? Really is a great-looking car.

Jack

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    those 485 hp would be possible with carbs, but only at the crankshaft, not at the rearwheels
    but I would like to see the dyno-priting

6. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    In Nathan Beehl's book "Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer: The Road and Race Legends", He states "According to Ferrari, the 5 liter engine featured modified pistons, racing camshafts, and carburetors. The power output was said to be about 400 hp. Mounted above the engine were two large air-scoops that opened just in front of the roof mounted spoiler and sucked air into the carburetors."

This would tend to backup N17RO's comments.

Hope whoever purchased the car visits the forum and can educated us concerning the car.

7. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I don't know about 485, but Carobu did engine work to BB 35411 to achieve 471 hp and 399 ft lbs of torque. When you look at the engine everything looks stock except the exhaust system and a larger radiator to handle the extra heat.

Here is the link for the dyno testing for 35411:

BB512 Carb 1

I have extensive seat time in both stock injected and carb versions [21171]. I can tell you firsthand the engine mods make this BB really strong. I was not really in the market for a BB at the time this car became available, but I figured this opportunity does not present itself often. I am glad I made the acquisition. The car was featured in a Forza article if you want to read more.

http://www.carobu.com/Magazine%20Articles/PDF%20Articles/Forza_boxer_article.pdf

8. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    Scantra:
    Thanks for the article, it is great reading. Let us know how she runs when you get the car. Great car.

9. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    I still have that Forza magazine.
    That is the Best BB ever. Superb engine, great looking wheels.
    94 hp per litre is very good achievement. Also the 80lb-ft per litre torque is amazing, on par with new gen performance cars. All 512BB should make power like that.

Enjoy Your BB.

10. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Interesting that from the photos, it looks like this car is actually carbureted ?

Also, from the ad text ---

Were there any last run carbed BB's badged as MY '81 ???? Or, do they have the year wrong on this car ?

11. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

Is badged '81; 512 bb carbed and is THE TWIN to this car; colors....no engine or other mods though.
    Jack