Early Testarossa idle instability | FerrariChat

Early Testarossa idle instability

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rolindsay, Jan 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Hello Friends,

Discussion please;

My '85 Euro Testarossa has an idle instability problem. No amount of balancing airflow or fuel:air mixture adjustment has cured it. When set at a 1000rpm idle, the engine speed cycles up and down until finally dying. Tweaked up to 1500rpm, the idle is stable but the warmed up engine typically dies after a throttle blip.

My friend Charles Perry also has an early Euro Testarossa with the SAME problem. With his car, all went well for a decade then the problem began, continuing to today.

Your advice, ideas and discussion are appreciated.

Rick Lindsay

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    1. Is your early Euro completely stock (K-Jet without Lambda) or has it been "modified" (to "quasi-Lambda") for US legality?

2. Are you saying that the regulated supply pressures, the cold control pressures, and the warm control pressures have all been verified as OK too?

3. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Yes, bone stock K-Jet.

All pressures, control and supply, are right on target.

Yes, I'm flummoxed.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may use some carb cleaner or fuel in a spray bottle and check for wrong air first before you try more

5. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Suggest start with the simple stuff....check all the hoses you can find for air leaks. If the KJet system is not airtight it will never work right. I had a similar problem on my 328...turned out the vacuum hose that goes from the plenum to the ignition box in the rear (triggers the ignition advance I think) had a hole worn in it out of sight behind the wheel arch.

6. dkyranakis

dkyranakis Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2013
    Centreville, DE
    Full Name:
    Demetri Kyranakis
    I have the same issue with my TR only at idle for the first few minutes at idle. Once warm the idle is perfect.??? Anyone have any advice here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Premoto1

Premoto1 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tyler Winslow
    Does the coolant temp guage start to jump around when the idle gets like this and then just before the engine dies?