single mirror Testarossa: how many and when were produced? | FerrariChat

single mirror Testarossa: how many and when were produced?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Albert-LP, Feb 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Hi everyone, I'm new at this fchat section. I would like to know how many single mirror (monospecchio) were produced and when their production ended. Is there anybody here that can give me some help?
    Thank you very much.

Ciao

2. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Update: i already found some info. The single mirror proudction ended on february 1987, more or less. I did not find how many were produced yet: any help?

Thanks

ciao

3. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Hi, a rough figure is somewhere around 1500.

I always thought for some reason that single mirror production ended in 1986 sometime and that there were a few 1986 genuine low mirror cars but maybe there is some confusion with the US "model years" which I think are worked out differently?

Either way information from this site says 1497 cars produced including 1986 so it's somewhere around that figure:
    Red Headed - Testarossa

Someone on here should be able to give u a bit more info.

Dom.

4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani

Thank you very much for the info!

I found in a site this info below too:
    ----------------
    Ferrari shows the mirror change happened at 67077. That coincides with September 86 (prob done at model changeover time).
    -----------------

Maybe they could be 1200 cars more or less

ciao

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Owning one, interested in one or only lurking at prices ... ?

6. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I have to make an offer for one here in Italy, so i would like to know how many were produced. Rarity is always an investment

ciao

7. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Cool!

I wonder if after that Artcurial result, a few more single mirror cars will come out of the the woodwork - or will people just hang onto them with both hands....?

Dom.

8. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Interesting indeed. I know I am holding on to mine with both hands!

9. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Me 2 - people need to go get their own ;)

10. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    i heard some say 700...which i think is too low

i think more than 1000

what color is the car?

11. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    It seems like there were fewer than 1500 single mirror Testarossas produced, compared to around 2000 Countachs. You struggle to find a Countach for sale in Europe for less than €220,000, so I'm not surprised that single mirror Testarossas are now fetching €150,000 or more. It's about time that they gained the (monetary) appreciation they deserve.

12. efes9

efes9 Karting

Oct 22, 2014
    #12 efes9, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Rarity may be an investment, but don't forget this a 30 year old car from a small auto manufacturer. It will break down, it will cost (lots of) money to maintain, the market may crash, you may crash, and a 100 other things could happen. If you are looking for an investment, I suspect there are better options...

Assuming you are looking for something else, the single mirror TR is the purest form of expression in the series. The later cars were improved (non-metric tires, 5 bolt wheels, modernized looks and more power with the 512 TR etc), but lack the design tension of the original. Likely, the pendulum will swing back, and the outrageous styling will regain traction, and while the later cars remain stunning (and are perhaps better cars), the original is the last of a species, and will remain unique in the storybook of Ferrari and Pininfarina.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Your second picture in motion is wild.

Great angle, great capture in the wild. Looks like a cheetah of sorts in pursuit.

14. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Ferrari switched from the Michelin TRX metrics to Goodyear GT's mid 1986 for the US market.

Joe

15. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    well...the countach version were so much different one from the other you cannot compare single mirror car VS ALL model countach....
    from LP400 to 400S to 5000S to QV and then anniversary
    they are a WORLD apart

countach are far more rare than testarossa and you cannot find a good carbed car under 350.000 euro for all models beside anniversary.

please keep in mind most consider the 650 anniversary cars "built in a big number" in countach world.
    you can put toegether all LP400-countachS and countach 5000S, car built in 9 years!, and still being under the number of single mirror testarossa built in 2 years.

and while the bigger difference for the testarossa is the mirror alone, countach went from a slim tyres dreamcar look - 4000 cc to a big flared monster with wing, spoiler with a 4800cc engine with more torque.... this to put things in perspective

16. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Yeah true - you do you have to compare like for like to be fair and whilst <1500 flying Mirror Testarossa`s v 2000+ Countach`s is true, I think it`s a difficult comparison. It would probably be fairer to compare 1500 flying mirrors v 150 LP400`s in that case....

It`s the relative rararity of flying mirror production within the Testarossa range itself that`s more relevant, especially as a lower proportion of the earlier cars are likely to have survived, due to less being tucked away and stored from new which seemed to happen with the later ones as the craze took off near the end of the 80`s - so I`m not playing down the value in any way.

I don`t find it hard to imagine early Testarossa`s with values around Anniversary Countach levels in the near future tbh and the rest of the Testarossa range not too far off the mark either - after all to a lot of people from my generation the Testarossa is the most iconic Ferrari ever made - and with a brand that has such a vast model range, that counts for a lot!

Dom.

17. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    i think testarossa will go up in value: agreed! 100%
    well they are alreday rising fast since were too low price till few days ago

this said it is a "not so rare" car compared to countach
    testarossa should be considered with 512 TR and M to be compared to ALL countach variants
    and then we would realize it is a 2000 car Vs over 10.000

STILL the testarossa is a nice car, iconic supercar but is not SO different as LP400 are vs the late countach
    please keep in mind the 400S countach cars are splitted in 3 different series by lambo fanatics, each built in number from 50 to 105 cars and the difference btw them is bigger than the difference btw a testarossa 85 and a 89

all this said: i think single mirror testarossa will be 150.000-200.000 euro cars one day, 87 a bit less and later cars still over 100.000 euro

18. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Didn't one just sell in France earlier this month for 165K euro's? "ONE DAY" was a few weeks ago!

19. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    +1

20. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Thank you very much: I have others Ferrari and I had other classic cars so i know what you mean.

I cannot think about a better investment than a classic supercar, as It's the only investment I like and I can drive... :)

ciao

21. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Seems we are all on the same page here. Emilio you are right that we can't really compare the TR series to the Countach in terms of production numbers, but it does seem the early cars - both single mirror and double mirror with single bolt wheels are increasing in value rapidly and pulling ahead of later cars. I agree with Dom that single mirror cars should logically get closer to the value of Countach Anniversaries.

Looking on mobile.de, there are only two single mirror cars for sale in the range of €158,000 - €180,000 (with moderate mileages) and double mirror cars with single bolt wheels are also rare, priced in the range of €108,000 - €179,000. All cars advertised have been "used" with mileages in the range of 40,000 - 70,000 kms.

David

22. Total Recall

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    It sure did at artcurial - 197,600 Euros all in.... 86 Flying mirror LHD Euro, with 25,000 miles!

You have to consider the different specs for the early Testarossa too.

Having an official US spec from 1985 splits the numbers up a bit from the LHD euro cars, then there`s UK spec which is essentially a euro car but RHD - then there are some of the other RHD drive markets which are similar to US spec but RHD - and then there`s the gray market cars for the US which are converted euro cars. I think there`s some variations even in the euro spec for different countries isn`t there?

Obviously some of those versions have cats/less power and more safety equipment/weight, extra lighting and cosmetic changes. As is usually the case, the purer the better - but depending on where you live you might need those things.

You can see why it takes some time searching for a flying mirror Testarossa in the spec you want....

It seems there`s a lot going on in the markets - and rarity isn`t the only thing - if it was a Jalpa would be worth more than a Countach, a Silhouette with 52 made would have a value approaching a GTO - and a Maserati Merak with <2000 made would be many times the value of a 308 with 12,000 made.

As you say though I think most people are on the same page and are pretty realistic in their thinking.

Hopefully future buyers can look at the facts and current situation and use the forums to make an informed purchase taking into account sensible opinions on their values.

I think it can be as costly to under estimate the future values as it is to over estimate them - I know if I hadn`t purchased my Testarossa when I did, I wouldn`t be able to afford one now even if it had a million miles!

Dom.

23. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    #23 jgmblair, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
    You are not alone my friend :)

24. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Wow!
    I'm in Canada and own an 85 TR red on black with around 60000 km. It's a Swiss market car. What would it be worth on European soil? Can you guys give a rough estimate? I'm just surprised by the numbers I'm reading. And no it's not for sale!

25. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Hard to say as there are not many for sale, and only one single mirror car has been auctioned in Europe over the last couple of months. That said, I would not be surprised to see a single mirror car advertised with 60,000 km for around €140-€150k.

Being a Swiss car, you have the advantage of higher gearing ...and perhaps more importantly non-metric tyres.