Canepa boxer again | FerrariChat

Canepa boxer again

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Feb 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    What a stunning car. I'd say 400-500k

3. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I believe they were asking $395K a month or so ago.

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Non origional; dash steering wheel and those hideous speakers, interior is a little hideous.
    Motor has red cam covers. Alumminum radiator.
    Probably drives great. Market will dscount for non orig items although easy to put back to spec.

Same color as mine, same wheels, I wonder what shocks and springs it has, stance is great.

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I have an 80 here now with Eibach springs and stock shocks. I love the stance and yesterday I was looking at the black 79 with the testarossa engine thinking you could slam this thing and still not have ground clearance issues because of the tucked up headers.

6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    nice car. makes mine look like the driver it is.
    i like the color scheme apart from the red dash and wheel - thats distracting.
    one of these days when i get mine stateside i am going to bring it up to you paul and have you go through it and make it a 100 pointer.

7. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    You have to give Canepa credit, his cars are finished at high level. They do look good lowered, actually great. But the drivability from a practical road standpoint, that car's underside and leading edges wouldn't look perfect for long.

Mods are mostly well done to my taste, the right buyer will love the result. $395k probably right for a car that cannot complete for Platinum w/o significant correction.

Red steering wheel, who thought that was a good idea, lol!

Love the BB in Silver, wow.

Lastly, it may be unfair, but I get the distinct impression Bruce thinks he is the only one capable of restoring a quality car, some here like the OP prove that is simply not the case. Given the choice, I would rather have a Newman car than a Canepa car, every day and twice on Sunday.

8. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day William,

Indeed, I agree with all that you said... However, in regards to the comments about Paul's skills... we should be careful, as with comments like those he is going to be even more busy and so if any of us needs his services we may have a long wait :)

Cheers,

Sam

9. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    That Silver is a little different than others I've seen . And the little oddity about how the rear wheel fills out the rear wheel well shows up more here IMO.

Also. Many times I;m not that fond of the red interior. But on this car, I say it's a good look.

10. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    On Hemming it says price reduced. Anyone know what the reduced price is?

11. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    #11 zudnic, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    Looks good. But has a pet peeve of mine. A previous owner changed the odometer from kilometers to miles. Maybe because I'm Canadian, Id pass on it, just on that basis. I've owned American market cars and never changed the miles into kilometers. Its easy to covert. Keep them original! Rant over!

12. suicidedoors1964

suicidedoors1964 Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    If the odometer was replaced as part of the federalization of the car I wouldn't have much of an issue with it as it would have been done early in the life of the car. An excerpt from the ad states that the odometer was replaced in 2001 and no mention of how many miles were on the car. Not sure why they would want to reset the odometer at this point in the life of the car?

It may have a concours quality detail but the car is far from being a concours car.

So what does it sell for? Depends on how long they wait. The best bet might be to wait until Monterey weekend and put it in one of the auctions.

Excerpt from ad below:

In 2001 the car would go to Symbolic Motors in San Diego, CA for major service including updating the Boxer mechanicals, gearbox and suspension to 512 BBLM specs. During this period of restoration the kilometer odometer was replaced with one showing miles, and was reset to zero.

13. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    It wasn't done to federalize. Done latter in life. I don't see why, its easy to convert kilometers to miles in your head. I do it all the time when I drive in the states. All my speedometers are in kilometers. It really annoys me, Americans who do this.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Even the dash vents are red...:D :D :D

Someone liked red......

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There are Km speedos, and MPH speedos.

It's more than just a number wheel set.....

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    On my car the speedo marked in MPH but the odo is def still kilometers.

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    In the end you have to buy these cars on condition not little numbers on a wheel. The Canepa car is redone inetrior and new paint somewhere along the line, who knows how many lives miles or Kilos it has.

If you buy an orig paint orig interior car, then just lookign at it you can see use and type of use.

18. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    Not sure I get your point, could you explain?

19. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    I agree. When going to the used car store you buy on condition. But having a TMU car has to effect the value some as I am sure some buyers will pass because of this. Now when Boxers are 1 mil plus maybe that doesn't matter anymore or maybe it doesn't matter now?

20. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    On my Boxer both the speedometer and odometer register in miles.

21. archibald drinkwater

Aug 31, 2009
    portland
    Full Name:
    patrick f.
    great color ! nice looking car... but whats with all the mystery around pricing ? i say man up and just list the friggin price on the site.... all this POA is kind of silly. i inquired on a non sunroof porsche 356 B T6 a few months ago..... they wanted $190k.... tons of money for that model.... and it was simply purchased a few month earlier at arizona auction for $129K... pick 'em an flip 'em. it was a very nice car, yes. but the price was really out there. so, like i say, dealers need to man up and stop using "POA"... not sure how POA is a service to anyone.

22. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    Archibald Drinkwater +1

23. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    Curious as to who makes those wheels. They would look great on a Testarossa.

24. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    According to Canepa's website the 512 BB has been sold. Anyone know who purchased the car or what the selling price was?