89 TR going to Rehab | FerrariChat

89 TR going to Rehab

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ADIGIDY17, Feb 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ADIGIDY17

ADIGIDY17 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Livermore, CA
    Full Name:
    Amit Lal
    #1 ADIGIDY17, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finally, after spending the last 12 years in a garage, this 89 TR is seeing the light of day. Mid 2003 a fluid change and a new set of tires were put on my Uncle's car. We got a few friends together and went for a day cruise. Unfortunately, hefell very sick after that and was never able to drive his baby again. He passed away back in 2009, and a few years later I was able to make a deal with my Aunt and buy it. I am glad I could keep it in the family. The car currently has just under 13k miles clocked. He flew to Oregon in early 1989 to pick this beauty up, and drive it home. I'll post some pictures of him taking delivery on it when I get them from my Aunt.

I searched the net and specifically here, to find the best place to bring her for her first ever major service. This is fully an unmolested car! Ask anyone in the Bay Area and they will tell you that Sal "The Ferrari Dr" Garcia from Waterfront Automobili is the man to see. I also stumbled upon an article from Automobile Magazine on Sal. When I saw it, I remembered reading it a few years prior. I called Sal and he was great. Spent a good 20 minutes on the phone with me going over what the service entails, and what will probably need to be done to get the car back on the road.

Fast forward to 02/12/15. Our schedules finally matched and the car was towed into his shop in SF. I am so excited to get her going. I bought a set of OEM 512M wheels for her as well. Of course I will be holding on to these originals as well.

I'll be posting pics as I go by the shop to take them. He tells me about 3 months and we'll be good to go. Crazy thing is I have never even driven the car before. My uncle never let anyone drive her.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ADIGIDY17

ADIGIDY17 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Livermore, CA
    Full Name:
    Amit Lal
    #2 ADIGIDY17, Feb 15, 2015
  3. ADIGIDY17

ADIGIDY17 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Livermore, CA
    Full Name:
    Amit Lal
    #3 ADIGIDY17, Feb 15, 2015
  4. ADIGIDY17

ADIGIDY17 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Livermore, CA
    Full Name:
    Amit Lal
    #4 ADIGIDY17, Feb 15, 2015
  5. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Fantastic. And consider yourself the beginning of the family Heirloom! Well played. I hope you're not planning on driving it too much. Because that car is going to need some serious work with that much inactivity and no service. But I say suck it up and have some fun, it will be well worth it :)

6. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Hope you got your first drive on the back of the truck :)

7. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Congratulations! My TR (and I) spent many years in the Bay Area, so if you aren't yet with your 348, go hang out with the FOG guys (northern cal section of Fchat). Great guys, great drives, great breakfast places. I miss them all.

Plenty of good places to take care of your TR, Waterfront Automobili is a very competent place, although it wasn't the one I picked back then.

Take good care of your uncle's car and drive, drive, drive! 13k miles is way too low... :)

8. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Congrats ...use in best of health!...did you ever consider Patrick Ottis in your search?

9. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Sad, but beautiful family story.

Congratulations, and I'm sure you Uncle would have approved of the car staying in the family.

Must have been hard for your aunt to hang onto it the last six years since his passing.

Pictures of the service in detail would be appreciated.

10. ADIGIDY17

ADIGIDY17 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Livermore, CA
    Full Name:
    Amit Lal
    Thanks everyone.
    Brad- I am sure it is going to need a lot, so am mentally prepared for the big bills. Lol! Unfortunately I am not one that can do the work myself. I am trusting Sal to bing her up to road worthy, and drive her like she should be. Been told the best medicine is to drive and drive like they were built for. Once this one is sorted, I am bringing Sal my Father's 90 348TS for the same treatment. She is also a very low mile, I believe 17k. She was taken to a shop for her first major in 2004, and has been there ever since. That's another story! I told my dad that I won't let him sell her to anyone else, so whenever he feels, I want it.

Ozz- actually I was extremely nervous, lol, so had the tow truck driver load it up. I will drive it once Sal has test drived and says she is good to go.

Chabh- Thanks. I do plan on joining the club again and putting some miles on the cars. They will not be garage queens for sure.

Sim- yes I did. It was down to him or Sal. Once I called Sal, I was sold. I just felt very comfortable with him right off the bat. Did hear that Patrick Otis was more into the older models and specifically restorations.

Big- she really didn't need the money, so was fine with it being there. I think the car leaving was actually harder for her, but these a sense of closure.

11. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Amit, you made you uncle proud. Great story. You will never regret taking such a bold step. Your uncle is smiling upon you. Enjoy!

12. ADIGIDY17

ADIGIDY17 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Livermore, CA
    Full Name:
    Amit Lal
    #12 ADIGIDY17, Apr 30, 2015
    Sorry, it's been a while. The last few months have been crazy, so I didn't post these pictures when I took them 2 months ago. Durring this time, I was able to get the smog and registration all cleared up, so we are now rocking and rolling. These pics are the before of the underbody. Unfortunately, my phone died so only got 2 pics.

13. ADIGIDY17

ADIGIDY17 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Livermore, CA
    Full Name:
    Amit Lal
    #13 ADIGIDY17, Apr 30, 2015
    Here are the after images taken yesterday. It really cleaned up well, right? Sheldon is off to Italy for his annual trip, so the engine won't come out until he comes back next month. In the meantime, the calipers, master cylinder & booster are being sent out to be rebuilt. I bought a set of OEM 512M wheels as well, so those will be mounted as well. Of course I am holding on to the original wheels for Concours entries.

14. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Looking good underneath except for those bubbles, rust?

15. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    You consciously purchased some 512M rims??? Whyyyyyy? :)

16. ADIGIDY17

ADIGIDY17 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Livermore, CA
    Full Name:
    Amit Lal
    Simsko- thanks. No rust, just a bunch of overspray of the undercoating. I was told that when these cars got stateside, the dealers just went crazy under there with the spray gun. I guess they figured more is better than less.

Rpissm- I really like them. I know some really hate them though. Lol! The main reason I wanted to get another set of wheels is that the original size tires are so difficult to find. Though the set on the car only had about 300 miles on them, they also say in the same place for about 10 years when the car was in storage. Unfortunately that ruined them so I have to replace. The 18's will make for a little better handling as well.

17. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    LOL, no prob, I'm just razzing you. :)

18. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    How did you get the underside of the car so clean around the oil pan? Did they remove the pan from the car? Thanks.

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The dealers didn't under coat them, Ferrari did, at the factory, and they were very sloppy about it.

20. ADIGIDY17

ADIGIDY17 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Livermore, CA
    Full Name:
    Amit Lal
    Kdross- the car was taken to a shop that specializes in powerwashing the underside and engine compartments. They just put it up on the lift and blasted away the mess. This process not only makes it look good, but helps to spot trouble areas that may be starting to leak. Since the car was sitting in a garage with 3 cats for 10 years, there was all kinds of fur and mess caked on to the gunk under there. The engine and compartment will be detailed when it is pulled out.

rifledriver- thanks for clarifying. I'll have to correct Sheldon next time I see him.

21. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Ill take a car sitting with 3 cats any day.....they keep the mice away. My Daily driver sits outside and mice have chewed some wires (Suspension system and airbag system). Thankfully my Land Rover guy knew exactly where to look.

Congrats, looking forward to seeing it on the road again. The waiting can be gruesome!

22. ADIGIDY17

ADIGIDY17 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Livermore, CA
    Full Name:
    Amit Lal
    lear60man - thanks, it is a tough wait, but exciting at the same time. it's funny that you mention the mice because about 15 years ago, the cats actually brought a mouse in and didn't finish the job. little bugger made it's way into the car and chewed up some wiring, part of the trunk carpet and the tool bags. I am looking for a replacement pouch for the toolkit emergency light and a replacement tool roll if anyone has one.

23. ADIGIDY17

ADIGIDY17 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Livermore, CA
    Full Name:
    Amit Lal
    #23 ADIGIDY17, Apr 2, 2017
    So after long waited anticipation, my I finally got my first drive today, and she is now parked in my garage. I planned on keeping up with this thread and posting progress pics, but I never had time to get over and check on her. Sal has photo documented the whole process and I will post those pics when I get them.

For now, here she is sitting on my garage, parked next to my Son's super car (he turned 1 yesterday).

24. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Holy cow! Did I miss something? Did this take 2 years instead of 3 months? What was the delay?

Looks good though. I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine.

25. ADIGIDY17

ADIGIDY17 Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Livermore, CA
    Full Name:
    Amit Lal
    Indeed, it was there for 2 years. One of the main reasons is that I actually didn't really have a place to park it, so I asked Sal to take his time. I have since moved, and now have a full 3 car garage, so that is not an issue.

So far, I am loving it, and can't wait to take it out again!