Need advice (again) dash, seats, front lip spoiler - '88 TR | FerrariChat

Need advice (again) dash, seats, front lip spoiler - '88 TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 1997spider, Feb 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1997spider

1997spider Karting

Nov 18, 2014
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Alex
    ok, everyone here has been so very helpful, so need a bit more advice and direction on a couple more items for an '88 TR:

1- driver's seat leather bolster is very worn (not torn), should I replace it with new leather from a recommended supplier and go ahead and recover BOTH SEATS? OR just clean up as much as possible and keep it original....what's better for a "collector car" Leather is tan, and the rest of the leather in the car is in great condition....just the driver seat is an eye sore.

2- leather on the top of the dash has shrunk in spots (top of instrument cluster and top of the glove box, and some under the windshield area), once again should I replace the leather? Who is a good supplier for the brown leather? OR just keep it as is and recondition as well as possible?

3- front lip spoiler has scratches, chips, and worst of all whoever used the tow hook last opened the original hole down towards the bottom. So the only replacement I have found is a fiberglass reman from Ferrparts.com , any thoughts on that????

Thanks for the help, this has been a fun project (so far...LOL)

2. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #1 and 2 are pretty subjective--the "right" solution depends on how much the issues bother you, not any of us.

1- From what I've observed with my car and others, the next owner of your car will be more interested in the bolster looking good rather than being original--unless your car is a xxx mile "survivor" and everything else is original, so I'd say replace the bolster leather. That said I'd hate to buy a complete seat leather set (~$2,500) just to use one bolster so I would recommend searching for a good quality upholsterer and see if they can match grain, leather and thread color. If they can't match color Leatherique can match it perfectly if you send a sample. Then you could dye the leather before the upholsterer cuts and sews it. BTW the bolster comes right off without removing the seat--just pull back the leather at the seam and you'll see two countersunk allen-head screws.

2- The top of the dash is a lot of work to remove & install so it depends on how much it bothers you. Replacements are ~$800 or > if you can find one (FerrParts sometimes has them on eBay). If not you can recover these too. The backing is cheap a*s clear corrugated plastic (same as door panels) so be careful. Others have recovered a piece of plywood. The instrument pod comes off easily and can also be recovered--there are no pre-sewn replacement covers on the market so again you would need to find a competent shop that can match grain and color.

3- Don't replace your spoiler, it can all be repaired by a novice DIY guy (I have done mine with no previous fiberglass experience and it came out perfect). The elongated tow hook hole can be glassed in and a new hole cut--let me know if you need the exact OD of the hole so the plug will fit properly. If you don't feel comfortable doing this work take it to a body shop or boat shop