How much is my car worth? | FerrariChat

How much is my car worth?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by bensonae, Feb 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    A friend of a friend is coming to Tokyo next week and keen to look at and potentially buy my car and asked how much for it. I had not even thought about it to be honest since I am not so keen to sell but wanted to see what was fair (or high frankly since I am not a motivated seller). 1992 Japanese spec 512TR-Left hand drive w/ ABS. 64k km(40k miles). Service done within the last 18 months; Timing belts, bearings, all oil seals, spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filters, temp sensor, O2 sensors, new tires (PS2s), Endless brake pads, stainless steel brake lines w/ full brake fluid flush, new rear right wheel bearing, all shocks/strust new w/ aftermarket adjustable Aragosta(superb used for GTRs), all new suspension bushings, new steering rack, new stereo speakers inside, new front spoiler, test pipes (car has no pre cats on J spec), Nouvalari muffler, transmission/diff fluid changed to Royal Purple last yr, headlights/foglights changed to HIDs, replaced shifter knob, new expansion tank, driver side seat bolster refinished, recharged A/C, new wipers, new starter(have original as well w/ new uninstalled solenoid), new thermocoupler, air filters replaced, (I have the original struts/shocks as well as the muffler/cats). I think I covered most of it. So guys what do you think?
    Thanks,
    Alex

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    first of all you may think over if you like to sell or not.

if yes but also you don´t need to sell the car ask for a very high price. if you get it you are lucky, if you don´t get it you are also lucky because you still have the car.

if no then raise the price and then you are double lucky: still have the car or have much more money than expected

:) :) :)

3. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG

I believe with my extensive experience and recent purchase you car is valued at $25,000...However I will pay $30,000....shall I send over a purchase agreement?

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    As a European guidance you may look here: Ferrari 512 Angebote bei mobile.de

All "cheap ones" seem to have vanished and only the expensive ones are still left over ...

You may ask what you want, the buyer will decide what he will pay you or not :)

5. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    Melvok your link is very helpful. Thanks again

6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    how did you get abs on a 92?

fwiw, i think your car is worth $250k

7. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    It is strange as my VIN would say that I have a 1993 model year but in Japan the year of the car is done by registered year(1992) and mine does indeed have factory ABS. $250k?!?!?! Honestly I was thinking half of that.

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    your car would be worth around $150 in europe, and maybe the same or slightly higher in the usa. but how many are in japan? far far fewer, hence the price ought to be higher.

9. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    You would think but the cars in Japan (I see only 4 for sale) can be had for around 9,000,000 yen which at current rates is $76k or 66K EUR using today's current rates. To me that is just wrong pricing but that is what it is here right now. Anyone want to fly over and buy some?

10. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Hi Alex, it depends ...... i have seen some horrific 'modifications' of classic/exotic cars, whilst living here in Tokyo over the last 18 months, including at least 1 512TR! These cars prices on the open market are sensitive to originality, as well as mileage and specification. Having said that $80k for an unmolested 512TR of any model Year, sounds like a huge bargain at the moment!

BR,
    Jez

11. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    Agreed there are some molested 512TRs for sure. Mine is not one of those!! here is link for the 4 advertised now. One is nasty. The other 3 look good. One of them was advertised for 9,000,000 JPY but now has moved to "Ask for price"

12. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
  13. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    Link works for me but it appears strange so unsure if that works for everyone else.

14. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    Link works....but it's in Japanese.

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    same, and I can not read japanese :(

16. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    Google Chrome has a translator that can give you a rough idea.

17. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    It says;

512TR, Superior Englishmans fast racing machine. Happy drifting. Careful of diff mechanisms.

18. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    hahahahahahahhahahahahhaa

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thanks, good joke, but I know one better :)

20. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Go for K$100 imo !

And let us know Alex !!

21. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    I offered at 125K EUR-He has no interest there. Frankly I am in no rush to sell and think as long as S&P/global markets/economies hold up then there is no reason these cars should come down in value. Happy to drive and enjoy for much longer! Thanks for everyone's input.

22. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Good for you Alex ..... at 125 Euro, ask yourself what you could replace your car with..... a very high miles early F599, perhaps?! For what its worth, i think your market analysis is about right, certainly for the time being....
    BR,
    Jez