cracked windshield | FerrariChat

cracked windshield

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Feb 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Last month I noticed an 8 inch crack in the right side of the windshield. My windshield has the built-in antenna, but apparently these are no longer available, only the non-antenna versions (price is $5300, by the way).
    Question: what can I do to replace the windshield antenna? Is there some aftermarket piece I can lay behind the radio?
    I don't use the radio too often, but I'd still like it to work.
    Grazie.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I'd talk to a really good auto stereo shop. Alternate antenna installations are nothing new. I have seen hidden antennas on many cars.

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    My car windshield has been replaced with a non antenna type and the radio is working. I believe it has an antenna hidden somewhere Under the dash. Are you sure there is no toher source for that W/S, $5000 sound very steep!

4. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    I had to replace my windshield as well and don't have the antenna anymore (replaced at the dealership). They had a stereo shop install an in-dash powered antenna but the guy from the shop told me not to hold my hopes too high. Indeed, the antenna just doesn't work very well at all. Given how often I use the radio it's not a big deal, but don't expect much without the built-in antenna!

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The built ins were terrible and many replaced with an alternate when the cars were still new. There are very good alternatives. Like anything, it just needs to be done correctly.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I have seen a couple of windshields on Ebay ... in perfect condition, with the internal antenna.

If you are an originality freak ... search for a genuine one; it helps the value of your car ! :D

7. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi Jim,
    $5k is crazy. I had to replace mine a year ago. Here is who i got it from. It is the same glass as the 512 TR according to the judges at the FCA national. It has the shading around the bottom edge which helps cover up any leather flaws on the dash. It also has the antenna. Best part is it was only around $900 and arrived in a few days.

Plinkington
    Pilkington Classics
    Phone +1 614 801 5900 USA and Canada

8. nickinafrica

nickinafrica Karting

Oct 10, 2013
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick Petty
    I am replacing the screen in my 512bb, I bought the new one from Eurospares for 490 pounds $760+/-, and the same time I am stripping out the interior & dash to sort out all the leather, most of it need a good clean & feed, I use Glipton leather care, The windscreen was a pig to get out, but no sign of any rust!!!!!

9. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino

$5K is the price from Ferrari. Florida has a no-deductible law on windshield replacements, so it does not matter to me.

10. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Thanks for the tip. I will call.

11. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I have already significantly modified this car, so originality is not a concern. 21 year old windshields tend to delaminate in the Florida sun, so I'm leaning toward a new one.
    Thanks for the tip, Mel.