Why is this BB auction estimate so low? Amelia Bonhams | FerrariChat

Why is this BB auction estimate so low? Amelia Bonhams

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Feb 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    to draw in the punters

3. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    If this car is as represented by the auction company and there are no hidden surprises, I wouldn't be surprised if this car sells with a 4 handle once buyer premium is tacked on.

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #4 samsaprunoff, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Just adding documentation...

Cheers,

Sam

1980 Ferrari 512BB
    Color: Red with Boxer Exterior with Tan with Black Insert Interior
    Mileage: 13444 KM

Chassis: 34249

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

that estimate is absurd. I would be pissed off if it were my car being represented as it sets a low initial expectation and advertising at no reserve gives the seller an unfair potential exposure. this is a big boy car now so bonhams needs to stop playing child like games to bring in the buyers.

6. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    ^^^^^
    And to add on... Is it clever or is there some reason that escapes me to not detail a car an auction house represents? Not the first time I have seen this. I find it so strange not to do justice to what appears to be a fine car. It's like sending a super model down the runway with a dirty dress, just doesn't make any sense.

The pricing estimate is odd to anyone who follows this model and market, assuming there is not undisclosed history.

I agree that this car should go for in the 4's. Despite what appears to me to be effortless marketing, this car will bring strong money.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm inclined to agree. Also I doubt estimates matter much, and it may be a better headline for the result to exceed to the estimate.

8. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Lowball estimates seem to work well in drawing in punters, but that one is ridiculous and makes the auction house look unprofessional.

9. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Check out Hagertys evaluation pricing guide on these cars and some others price guides. I had to battle with my insurance company (Condon Skelly) to get $250K last November.

Look at Wayne Carrinis BBi for $350K on F40 motorsports website. Not sure if it still exists but it is on there.

I don't believe anyone looking for a Boxer thinks they will find one for under $200K at this point in time, if the car is not a complete mess.

As I have stated numerous times, I'm not in it to make money, but it won't be a bad thing when I'm done enjoying it. However, I'm concerned with valuations for insurance replacement.

10. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    Bonham's did the same thing with two BBis back in January. Both were estimated under $200,000. One went for $324,500 and the other went for $357,000. The statistics they are using for evaluation aren't current. You would think they would use their own most recent results.

11. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Auctions America, who is owned by RM sold a Boxer in August for something like $3xx,xxx

12. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Estimates way low. Makes me think something is wrong with the car. This appears to be an example that will get lots of interest from foreign buyers. Original odometer, makes it worth more then average, not well below.

13. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    I sure wouldn't entrust Bonhams with my cars given the undervaluation in their representation of this car (unless someone there made a serious typographical error).

14. SFM5s159

SFM5s159 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2014
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Mike C
    It certainly needs a thorough detail, and maybe a bit more. There is a small dent in the right door at the trim line. Could likely be corrected without paint.
    It still looks to be a great original example. Just not as sharp as it could be.
    They are only original once, so if this is what you are seeking, it's probably worth $350k for the right buyer.
    I wouldn't throw it out of my garage! lol

Mike

15. ferraripete

gary,

this makes sense. even no account realtors are able to use comps when valuing houses coming to market.

pcb

16. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I had a friend just buy a TR, single mirror with low miles using the Ferrari Market Letter as a guide, the price was 50K, I think this was only about 4 months ago. Of course it has changed now, and even then they were nearer one hundred in real world than 50.

17. Andrewo

Andrewo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2011
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Often the catalogue photos are taken months before the auction and they probably only want to detail the car once instead of twice. A car can be a little dirty in photos and usually it will still look clean (although not in this case).

18. ferraripete

gary,

this makes sense. even no account realtors are able to use comps when valuing houses coming to market.

pcb

19. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Looks like a nice one owner BB512 with tools, spare, books and records to me.
    Sounds like it needs a belt service.
    $350+

20. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I wonder if it all is just a so called clever marketing ploy to get folks talking about it.

21. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    you could use another ploy in the other direction.

Ferrari 512 BB i comme Coupé Sport à Overseal

Selling a BBi for over 1.3 Million Euros (almost $1.6MM for the math challenged) just because it had the belt service could be seen as stretching it. I'd love to see what the seller really looks like...
    it must be the RHD feature... lol

22. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Tom Hartley is known for finding the best of the best - but that is a bit much

23. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Just an FYI, Ferrari of Long Island has a 84 BBi for $429K and a 512M for $549K. It looks like a bargain compared to the car above.

24. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    I met Tom at Pebble Beach last year. A true enthusiast.
    I understand he has impeccable connections so it is no surprise he gets top cars.

25. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    The car sold today for $359,700 including buyer premium.