throttle response - gummy injectors ? + harry's garage video | FerrariChat

throttle response - gummy injectors ? + harry's garage video

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by archibald drinkwater, Feb 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. archibald drinkwater

Aug 31, 2009
    portland
    Full Name:
    patrick f.
    #1 archibald drinkwater, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    greetings. i suspect perhaps my 1990 TR might be in need of a injector cleaning or what have you. would they do this automatically as part of an engine out major service , or do i need to specify a look ? it doesn't sputter or anything but the throttle response might be a bit quicker in my opinion. does anyone have any input or feedback?

this is mentioned at 14:50 and 19:22 in this great TR video review...
    http://youtu.be/1XlPUQjmJyk

2. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'm replacing my steel injectors with brass ones as part of my fuel distributor rebuild. I'll let you know if my throttle response improves. A quick fix could just be to buy some techron fuel additive and use it for your next couple tankfuls and see if things improve.

3. archibald drinkwater

Aug 31, 2009
    portland
    Full Name:
    patrick f.
    cool... thank you. i just dropped it off at the ferrari dealer tonight for the major engine out belt $ervice etc..... i will ask them what they think. car has not really covered too many miles since 2009, though i did take it out yesterday for an "italian tune up".... looking forward to getting it all dialed in ! here's a pic during the italian tune up: http://instagram.com/p/zYlcjwBzpL/?modal=true

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    ? ? ?

under "italian tune up" we understand here in germany that some italian mechanics go around the car several times, make "testdrive if the rpm limiter will work when engine is cold" and then write a big invoice :) :)

5. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Injector servicing is not part of a major tune-up though a test drive is. If you drop it off and don't mention your injectors they won't be addressed up front and would (hopefully) be noticed on the post-service test drive--some shops may not drive enough to notice at all. Caught at the tail-end would amount to more time and not as easy to service when the motor is out (perhaps more $). Tell them before they start the teardown. As mentioned if you have the original steel injectors you may want to consider swapping them all to brass--expect to pay anywhere from ~$40 + a piece (internet pricing, plus O-rings), the dealer will want to buy the Bosch injectors from Ferrari at a pretty steep markup. Or have them do a flow test per the WSM or send them off to be flow tested/cleaned.

Let us know how it works out.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    CIS injector nozzles were really designed to be cheap disposable parts much like spark plugs and replaced in much the same fashion. Like spark plugs they have gotten to be much more expensive but unlike spark plugs they are very affected by age.

If suspected of problems or known to be old I would just replace them. I have 2 of the Bosch testers for them and very seldom use them. The time required is wasted considering the cost of injectors unless it is part of a diagnosis.

7. RQtetto

RQtetto Karting

Aug 15, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert Quisenberry
    Hahah! Ausgezeichnet.

8. archibald drinkwater

Aug 31, 2009
    portland
    Full Name:
    patrick f.
    #8 archibald drinkwater, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    got the Testarossa back a couple of weeks ago. major service completed. Injectors cleaned and 1 bad replaced. ive driven it about 150 miles since and it gets better every time I drive it. And the most recent drive it felt the most like a Ferrari than ever. Could be the ethanol free fuel in part , though I think a big part of it is it just "waking up" after only being driven about 500 miles in 6 years by previous owner. Does that make sense ? Input welcome.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login