Why are Hagerty's estimates so much lower for Testarossas? | FerrariChat

Why are Hagerty's estimates so much lower for Testarossas?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by stardoc, Feb 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    As a new T.R. owner just finished searching around, I did not see anything close to Hagerty's values of Condition 1 or 2 Testarossas or 512TR's. They are estimating $68k for a Testarossa and $99k for a 512TR. Is it that their customers are under insuring their cars?

Price Guide Report

2. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Quick answer, probably underinsured given the markets quick climb. I only revisit my policies once a year.

Sent via itty bitty electrons

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Last year they would not let me go above 185 on the boxer when two sales had just been completed in the low 250s'

This year I will fight with them for 300.

As much as they claim to be enthusiasts, they are insurance people and not on top of the market.

4. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    I agree with you on the last sentence 100%.

They are slow to react

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I don't know Hagertys (though their graphs are cool) but if they are like any other insurance company you can bet they will be sharp at using today's value if you have an F12, and last year's value if you have a TR...

6. Premoto1

Premoto1 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tyler Winslow
    Are you dealing with Hagerty directly or through a broker? Last year, I started insurance on my Boxer at $200k but quickly bumped it to $325k without any push back. Having said that, I made the request through my insurance broker who made the call to Hagerty. Perhaps this is another tactic for those experiencing problems getting current market pricing coverage for their cars.

7. archibald drinkwater

Aug 31, 2009
    portland
    Full Name:
    patrick f.
    are you sure ? if you go to the hagerty website and value a testarossa it clearly states high value for a #1 car is $100k... still low, but a far cry from the $68k you assert.... seems like you are not looking in the right place and/or are using old data.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Directly with hagerty

9. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    As per Hagerty most cars are not level #1 which is basically a show car. It seems like miles matter less with them than what the condition of the vehicle is. Most Testarossas will fall in the #2 category (which is just below show ready) as per Hagerty which they value at $85k. Both values are way off.

10. archibald drinkwater

Aug 31, 2009
    portland
    Full Name:
    patrick f.
    True, though with hagerty I think it's more useful to view it as a range knowing that condition is not always agreed upon. I paid $114k this month for a 1990 with 25k miles but is all original, virtually no wear to drivers bolster, every record going back to purchase window sticker. Tools etc. red with black. Interior. I feel like I may have ovepaid a little but wasn't seeing any cars that solid out there so I bought it confident of it's quality and knowing it's going to appreciate. There are a lot of testarossas out there but many of them are not quite up to snuff. It's an interesting time for these cars. Still new enough to be considered used cars and purchase from original owner

11. archibald drinkwater

Aug 31, 2009
    portland
    Full Name:
    patrick f.
    meanwhile sports car market pegs the top value for a Testarossa at $140k and pegs them to appreciate at 25% + this year.

12. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    As with most valuations, they are typically based on sales, inflation charts for wider markets, asking prices, etc, and both the insurance industry and CPI (Cars of Particular Interest) tend to be between 12 and 18 months behind the actual market - not just for Ferrari but across the board.

13. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Numbers don't seem off to me

For Testarossas you have WIDE variations in the pricing, over a 100% swing - from 56k to over 100k. That makes for a challenging average.

The majority of the cars out there are condition 3, but all the asking prices are Condition 1 or 2 (and why shouldn't they ask as high as they can?). Sale prices are a very different thing all together. There were two Condition 3 testarossas at Mecum in Kissimmee and both went unsold at $50-55k. A nicer '86 hit $77k.

Here is another example of a good, but not great condition Testarossa selling @just under $70k: Ferrari Testarossa Base Coupe 2 Door | eBay

I suspect that a good "driver" is worth between $65k-80k realistically and Haggerty seems to be right on target with that. A fixer upper (Condition 4) really should only go for $56k as you have a good $20-30k you probably need to put in to it.

Just my $0.02

14. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    any links?

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agree. We've seen wide variations for 308/328s as well. Lots of fishing now on the part of optimistic sellers.

And I don't think I'd pay $50K for a "fixer" TR - much more cost effective to buy one of the huge number of condition 3 or 2 cars.

16. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    me either - but I am a big fan of buying a car in as good a condition as I can get (outside of garage queens - sorry but I enjoy driving too much). Still, I know there are budget hunters out there and some people can do wonderful DIY work.

17. archibald drinkwater

Aug 31, 2009
    portland
    Full Name:
    patrick f.
    I don't have a link but the most recent printed price guide was mailed out to subscribers last month.

18. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    The issue is Hagerty is not necessarily taking mileage in their calculations. A condition 3 low miles T.R. will usually sell more than a condition 2 high miles one. That one on ebay had 43k miles, where as lower miles examples are going between $90k to $120k. When I called Hagerty they pegged my car as a condition 2 and valued it at $85k initially. The car has just under 14,000 miles. It took some negotiating to bring it to $100k.

19. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The data can lag behind a month or more. Depends on how many go to auction and how many get insured. Its an estimate, not a set in stone price. The higher priced cars are not selling fast. Realistic priced Testarossa sell. Hagerty is closer to realistic then not.

20. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Its a guide, not an exact science. Some people foolishly spend money on low mileage thinking it means better condition, you can't calculate for behavior like that. Then again, I drive a Honda so my view on mileage is a bit different than Ferrari Folks ;)

Seems to me that as long as they charge you a higher premium that Haggerty won't care what you value your car at unless there is some new fiscal model that insurance companies work from that I am unaware of.

21. archibald drinkwater

Aug 31, 2009
    portland
    Full Name:
    patrick f.
    speaking of mileage what is considered high vs low for a Testarossa ? Seems there are many under 20k miles