Which Year Pre 512TR Testarossa Was Most Desirable? | FerrariChat

Which Year Pre 512TR Testarossa Was Most Desirable?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by wantone123, Feb 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wantone123

wantone123 Rookie

Feb 24, 2015
    I'm looking at an '87 but was told '85 was the most desirable for its center lug nut and floating driver's mirror. Is this true? Thanks in advance!

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    It may be more 'collectable', but 'desirable' is a different issue. The 5 lug cars have the engine updates and have eliminated the center lug ‘issues’. If you want to drive the car… go with a ’90 or ’91. If you want it in a collection, go single mirror.

Just an opinion, and worth nothing more.....

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

3. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The one you like....not the one others tell you to like.

4. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    They are all desireable. Figure out what features you like and go for it :)

5. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My fav is the '87 - they got the mirrors right and still the 'dangerous' single lug. And whaddya know, that's the one I have! They're all sweet though. I don't understand the perception that the '85 and '86s are more desirable, although that's what the market seems to prefer.

6. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    #6 UAS, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    IMO- 1985...only 121 U.S models produced in 1985

7. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Didn't realize there were only 121. I have to go with that as well. I have an 86 and 87 single lug but now I need to look for an 85. That would make it a trifecta.

8. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Come on, who cares about 1985 production numbers. Flying mirror TR have been made in 85 and 86 to a total of a lot more than 121. Flying mirror production numbers is what you need to look at if you care about that. 1985 numbers are salesman B.S.

9. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    A lot of people care about production numbers...but maybe not in France. And if you read the post correctly, only in 1985 were 121. In 1986 there was 300.

Red Headed - Testarossa

Maybe do some research before commenting...and FYI nobody posting here is a salesman

10. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Gentlemen, gentlemen, the single lug wheels are not dangerous!!!! you just need to use the right tools to torque them and there is no problem.

Phil

11. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That number appears to just be US cars, not world. Looks like 1400 in 84, 85, and 86 worldwide:

Red Headed - Testarossa

12. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    correct.

13. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    LOL, that's why I put my 'dangerous' in quotes :)

14. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe

Dude, chill out. I'm not accusing you of acting like a salesman here, I just think that quoting production numbers per year of the exact same car produced over several years is a way for salesmen (not you) to try to make a car appear rarer than it really is. I know production numbers very well, no need to quote them for me and imply things. The realty is that there are 1400 flying mirror and 421 of them sold in the US. Not the same scale as one might think at first glance when they here the number 121 in a limited context.

15. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    My car is a VERY RARE one of 27. YES! 1 of 27 canadian market car(ZFFSM) for 1990.

Is it a rare collectable piece??? :)

It's all a matter of perception.
    I personally don't like single Mirror cars, so even if highly collectable an valuable I wouldn't buy one for ME. But as Rpissm said the 87 has it all.

16. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    I would go flying mirror, and of those cars, if you can find a late 86 they have the 16" wheels so you don't have to work about the whole TRX metric tire issue!

17. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree. I think knowing the production numbers for each year is quite important to collectors, specially now since those are so desirable (the flying mirror ones). In addition, I think that if that "421" figure is correct, that makes it rare indeed.

18. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Production number divisions and on another thread today, i see people obsessing about the correct carpet weave for their TR ...... Seriously , i thought the TR was the hairy chested mans Ferrari ..... we are starting to sound like Dino 206 owners!!! :)
    BR,
    Jez

19. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Production numbers are not as important as how many remain in one piece, drivable or restorable. If you make 1,000 of anything, if only 100 are left, the number that counts is 100.

You can't count a 1985 Testarossa that has been wrecked, crushed, melted down and turned into a 1989 Yugo.

20. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Claude, you've been helping me all this time with the diff on my car and NOW i find out you don't like it ;)

21. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Ha Ha! Never realized you had a cripled car LOL! Sorry, I really like the single bolt Wheel but I would have hard times living with only one Mirror.

Now that your car has a good diff it will be a good runner even if it has only one arm.

To each their own, we buy what we like. If you're happy with it I'm am too. That's why we have owners from the single mirrors to the M.

But still all TESTAROSSA! or 512......it's all in the side strakes.

22. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    IMO, the 1994 512TR is the best and most desirable, almost the same thing as 512M but better looking, head and shoulders above all the other TRs in every regard.
    With improved mechanicals (diff in particular) and rarity in itself, it comes to top in my mind.

23. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    But it doesn't scream "Testarossa" on the lid to the guy behind!

24. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    OP asked in his title :512TR Testarossa, which is it then?
    Looks like he is asking about both....

25. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Buy the best car you can in the color you love. I like my twin mirror 87, visibility to the rear is excellent. also the color, Rosa/Negro.