Finally Made a Purchase | FerrariChat

Finally Made a Purchase

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kartboy1234, Feb 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Hey everyone, over the past few months I have asked a few questions, read a ton of threads and have posted about cars that i've seen. I am happy to announce that I have puchased a 1987 Grigio over red and black interior Testarossa. After flying to two states, looking at 5 cars in person, and spending late nights online I found the one I wanted. My criteria was that it had to not be red on tan and it had to be an 87. The first ad that I saw when I was looking in October was for this car. The ad was pulled and I thought that I had lost it. In early February I messaged the seller here on Ferrari Chat and asked if the car was available, it was. I then had a phone call with him the next day, then had plane tickets booked to fly me to Florida two days later. I was eager to see this car, so I got myself and a friend/buying consultant to it as soon as possible.

We met with the seller, Jerome, on a Sunday and spent about two hours going over every detail of the car. The car was exactly as described, a welcome relief compared to the other cars that I had seen. It has its issues, like road rash, oil leaks and its belts need to be done, but I love it. The car is still with the previous owner until it can be picked up this week and shipped to California. The car came with tool kits and a tan luggage set which I was happy about. Overall the experience was fantastic and im very pleased with the car and got it for a reasonable price. The car supposedly has a Modena Engineering Diff in it, does that mean that im immune to the cracking diff issue?

[​IMG]

2. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Uploading a few more. I cant figure out how to post pictures directly

3. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Beautiful color combo and congratulations. I do believe you have the upgraded diff so thats a bonus. Dont be surprised when you make up excuses to go out to the garage to just look at her.....it happens.

4. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
  5. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Thank you, I fell in love with the color. I will want to sleep next to it once it arrives. I purchased it on feb 8th, so the waiting has been killing me.

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Congrats! You bought from Jérôme (ARTNNYC), nice color combo. You will love the TR.

7. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Stunning color combo...congrats!

8. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Looks awesome Michael, a love that color. We'll have to get together, I'm in Marysville...

9. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    Beautiful...allmost as Beautiful as my red one:)

Really nice!

10. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Sadly I wont have the car in Northern California. I have moved down to LA and I am taking a job there. I will be posting a lot more once I receive the car. Yes it was Jérôme/Artnnyc, I didnt know where to put the accents on the name. He was a great seller, and a pleasure to do business with.
    @512man Haha we each have our loves, I bet that I couldn't convince you that the grey is better, and you couldn't convince me that red is better. They are all great cars regardless of color... well pink would not work on it.

11. TimBock

TimBock Rookie

Feb 16, 2014
    Congratulations!!! Shoot me a PM when you get the car settled in LA. I live in OC and have an 88 same color as yours but all black interior. Would be fun to cruise the two together on a sunny So Cal weekend:)

12. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
  13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Beautiful! Looks in stunning condition. I also have an 87. Great choice. I think I am jealous of that red interior...Congratulations.

14. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Congrats! What a fantastic color! Looks gorgeous! :)

15. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    That just looks so smart! The colour makes the black bits look just right.

Looking at it there, makes you realise how modern cars have completely lost the plot!

It looks amazing just sat there - imagine what it looks like on the move!

Dom.

16. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Congratulations Michael! Grigio had always been one of my favorite color for the testarossa. Well done!!

17. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
  18. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Congrats - your Testa looks gorgeous, I like the color combo ; enjoy it in good health . Welcome to the TR family .

19. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Thank you everyone for your support. It is being picked up on tuesday, and then I should see it a week or so later. This week i'm up at Laguna Seca for a race class. Tim I will message you, it would be great to go for a drive. Wow Joe, I didn't realize that someone had painted one pink, let alone Hussein's son. I love the interior. I thought that I wouldn't like it at first, but it is stunning in person.

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Love the grigio. I was looking for one in that color myself but settled for red this time because of the service records.

If you do have the Modena Diff you can drive with confidence and sleep well at night.
    Try to find receipts for that installation.
    If the owner doesn't have any I would tread lightly until you can verify the installation through visual inspection during your belt service.
    This will involve pulling the bellhousing/drop gear assy off the back (all one piece), easy to do.
    You can check the clutch while you are at it.....;)

21. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Spasso, I have a receipt for a diff that was ordered, but it doesn't mention being installed. I will have them check when it goes in for service. I'd like the peace of mind. In theory I have a new clutch as well.

22. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Very good.
    It's sounds like you are off to a good start.
    Check to see that the gear lash between ring and pinion are correct while you are in there.

Don't forget to specify Hill Engineering tensioner bearings when you do the belts.

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #23 Melvok, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Congrats on your "new" car. And welcome to the club!
    Can you elaborate why an 87 was your prefered year?

25. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #25 ozziindaus, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    must you ask? :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login