Sheehan 512 TR | FerrariChat

Sheehan 512 TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jonack, Mar 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    Ferraris on line has a new listing

https://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/carintro.php?reqcardir=FE-512TR-90817

Holy cow! This would be considered a bit high milage at 21k This, too me, seems a huge
    Asking price for a car they, arguably, made close to 10'ooo of.

Right now I know of, have seen advertised and or possible looked at, at least 25 Testarossa's for sale - a few are sitting around dealer showrooms with few offers. Others seem to sell. BTW all the cars I mention are similar condition I.e. Recent services, under 25k milage etc etc
    Why haven't I bought one? That's another subject....... .

I can't help but wonder when the party will end? I understand some cars will always be worth a lot of $$ but here are other cars that seem to be part of a crazy feeding frenzy, (read Porsche) Egged on by overly happy bidders, out to prove something, at auctions.

2. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    A 512 TR is a 512 TR not a TR, not a 512 M and so there are 2.280 cars ever made!

And if i look at the aircooled Porsche market which a much higher number of cars
    the prices are also very high!

3. ace355

ace355 Formula Junior

May 23, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sheehan has told us repeatedly these car are never going to amount to anything. He should 'come out' in Forza, his website, and his market letter that he was WRONG. MAN UP BROTHER!

4. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Wow - $300K for a 92 - 512TR. Even if it gets $250K I would think that is raising the bar for an early 512TR with higher mileage(21K).

5. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Yes, bunching together all production of similar TR + 512TR + F512M and quoting 10.000 cars makes no more sense than bunching together all 30 years production of similar air-cooled 911's, i.e. going from the mid sixties to the mid nineties!

When I bought my 512 TR, I was not in the market for a Testarossa...

6. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    And don't forget that there were only 409 US cars. That is all years (92-94)

How many US F40s?

7. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    For those people out there whinging these cars have gone up too much in value I would make the argument they were too cheap 2 years ago and played a quick catch up. The 512Tr is a gorgeous, wonderful machine and there are a limited number of mid engine 12 cylinder Ferraris out there. Frankly the people complaining about the increase in values are just upset they did not buy one. As long as equity markets remain buoyant and global economies hold up the prices are not going to soften. Here in Japan 512TRs are stupid cheap at under 100K for almost every one available. If it is worth less than that I will be surprised. And it looks like Japan has the cheapest ones available globally.

8. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    That's the first thing that came to mind. He's not, or at least was not, a fan of the TR. I guess money has no prejudice

9. PBE624

PBE624 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2005
    De Panne Belgium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    For those interested, see similar thread in 308/328 section :)

undervalued or overpriced, that's the question.

Cheers,
    Frank

10. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Since when is 21k considered high mileage for a 23 year old car...

11. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    It's been all discussed in the 308 section. He's a salesman and sell what customers want to buy. He makes a living selling cars for a profit.

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    What is it about that, that is so hard for people to understand?

Mike has an opinion....he states it unambiguously.
    How many sales people tell you what they really think instead of what you want to hear?
    I find it refreshing actually.

Mike also sells cars. He makes his living at it so he does so for a profit.
    Market goes up despite what Mike predicts and he goes right along with it.

I fail to understand why so many don't get it?

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    He is only wrong if the prices are sustainable.

Weather forecasters, stock forecasters, car market forecasters and every sports coach and play caller are wrong every day about something. As Tony La russa when he was still with the Oakland A's once said "If I am right 51% of the time I am a hero".

Man up and get over it.

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I hope you were not quoting my comment as a negative one from me.

I was trying to explain he's there to sell cars making a living and that is what car salesman are all bout. There was nothing negative about my post.

It's his business!! And business is all about profit if you want to STAY in business. If you try the other way you will be in a situation called bankrupt which has been said by another poster.(crallcars)

But I guess any well known business get their naysayer.

One thing I can say about him, His ads are the BEST I've ever seen. Professional pictures with complete text and known history. Easy to see he's a writer. He knows how to do it right and something properly presented sells.

15. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    The word you are looking for is:

"Jealousy"

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I assume French is your first language.

I was agreeing.

17. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Your assumption is good.

Thanks to let me know.

As a note: I use to be and still a very big fan of the Countach(before the anniversary) and use to think the Testarossa were ugly and looked like a french cancan dancer with all the frills(strakes) just like the 25thAnni. CT. I now own one and I love it and proud of it. ( I still don't like the 25th CT)

18. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    If he gets his asking price, more power to him.

19. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    He's not too far from this!

Ferrari Testarossa | eBay

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    hmm, maybe it isn't slowly rising "correct" pricing that creates a bubble that pops, but greedy dealing like Sheehan and Rock asking ridiculous pricing. You can fill a balloon pretty full slowly, but easy to pop overinflating quickly with hot air.

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #21 Rifledriver, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    We see asking prices. We never see selling prices but many here assume they are the same. In a volatile market they are often vastly different.

When you sell on consignment often the owner dictates the price. It can often take some time to make them see the light. Everyone wants a home run.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't think anyone assumes selling and asking is the same. The problem is in this market some are asking so far beyond selling prices, just seems sleazy.

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #23 Rifledriver, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    Car sales sleazy??

Say it ain't so.

There are a lot of things in business I consider sleazy. Asking too much money isn't one of them. I have never had a problem walking away and last I heard Mike has never been accused using of a gun to make a sale. The market will dictate the price that car sells for, not Mike.

24. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Supply and demand will dictate the price, not greed- you of all people recognize that better than anyone. I guess you could be greedy and double your pricing for your sponsors and users, but if fchat grew in subscription and the sponsors paid for it, it's not called greed if you could pull it off it's called the "market" , anyone begrudging you of making that work is just jealous they didn't think of it first ;)

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    for all the people not on FerrariChat it could be considered market manipulation. I just think its sleazy to ask unreasonable prices. Someone that does that are they also unreasonable in other parts of their business? Just makes me wonder, we're not talking about pushing the market 10-20%, we're talking about 50-100%.