512bbi for sale at F40 Motorsports--Help needed please? | FerrariChat

512bbi for sale at F40 Motorsports--Help needed please?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ttn27, Mar 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    I am currently looking at this 1984 512bbi (serial # 49027) for sale currently at F40 Motorsports. Any info on this car would be greatly appreciated.

A few additional questions I would like to ask:
    1) Though you can not see from the pics at the website, the car does have the stock radio but does not have an equalizer (do all bbi have this equalizer and was this subsequently removed by the owner at some period and replaced with a leather cover plate? Or do some bbi come from the factory without the equalizer?)
    2) No spinner on the wheel? Does some bbi come without the wheel spinner?
    3) Though it has the complete tool kits and pouch, it does not have the books or manuals. Are these difficult to source out later and how does having no manuals/books hurt the value of the car especially for resale?
    4) It has the federalized sticker on the driver's side but not federalized papers? Are these papers still important since it already passed the 25 years mark? Would it hurt the resale without these documents?

Thanks

2. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
  3. burmang

burmang Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    London
    Full Name:
    Gaurav Burman
    How much are they asking for the car?

4. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    350k before Amelia, 385k asking after Amelia auction.

5. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    Little doubt the front and rear valences have been painted (see missing black trim divider and painted valence clips), Federalized bumpers and side marker lights, Cavalino on front grill missing (grill looks askew as well)

Some US cars required to have center nuts replace the spinners, I have seen both here in the States. The missing original DOT paperwork would concern me, though I don't know for a fact that is matters. In CA it would matter, but 49 other states I can't say since it is more than 25 years old and may be exempt at this point.

I don't see a shot of the equalizer, so I can't comment.

No description as to condition.

On the surface from pictures, it COULD be a true low mile car. If it was me, no matter this or any other car, I would have it fully checked out by an independent authority of my choosing.

With all that said, it seems Carini is right in the wheelhouse for pricing and will likely get some prospective buyers not to looks as deep as they otherwise would at the risk of losing a "good deal."

Just my thoughts off the top, curious what others come up with.

6. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I know that they are currently performing a service on the car. Whatever that means....

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Dash has some pulling which indicates its origional, so lets assume the rest of the interior is origional, thta will give you an idea about the mileage. I think
    it looks from pics legit.

Bumpers are federalised, so its very likely got its dot papers, in nay event over 25yo. The bumpers will detract from value, at elast use a negotiating tactic.

If they are doing a service get a list of what has been done, there are belt changes and there are belt changes.

We saw a black BBi thta ran but really had not run in while so probably nneed 40-50k sell for 358k. #85 is all the work done sounds not as good as 350, I woudl use the bumper issue missiign paperwork no equalizer etc to try get closer to 350, assuming it runs well.

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Its a nice clean looking car and the DOT bumpers can be replaced, structure mods undone without getting in too deep.

If the car had yellow fog lights I would say the octagon nuts are correct (makes it a france market car) but chances are they were DOT related.

Spinners are hard to find. Documents inside pouch are expensive. Should have a 7 band EQ. Once 25 my understanding is it doesn't matter in most states.

9. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Thanks for all the input but I decide to pass on this car since it was missing quite a few items interior and exterior, some may be hard to source out such the spinners, the equalizer and all the lost books/manuals as well as the lost Federalized documents. Also, the last belt service was in 2008 and the fact that they actually increased the price after Amelia from 350k to 385k (willing to discount only a little off the $385k) despite all the missing items as well as a belt service that was done 7 years ago..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #10 samsaprunoff, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Just adding documenting before the ad disappears... It is no longer listed on the dealer site...and so I assuming it has been sold.

Cheers,

Sam

1984 Ferrari 512BBI for sale #1713980 | Hemmings Motor News

1984 Ferrari BBi
    Color: Red with No Boxer trim with Tan Interior
    Mileage: 8380
    VIN: ZFFJA09B000049027
    Chassis: 49027

Image Unavailable, Please Login