Bleeding Cooling System 1979 BB | FerrariChat

Bleeding Cooling System 1979 BB

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by TESTADAZ, Mar 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TESTADAZ

TESTADAZ Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    London, UK.
    Full Name:
    Daryn
    Gents, i am replacing the radiator in my BB after having a new core placed in it. On the refilling of the system obviously there is a bleed screw on the top right of the rad itself, but is there another bleed screw located anywhere else on the cooling system (engine area for example) and is there a special technique to refill or is it simply top up through expansion tank until system is full with engine running and bleed screw on rad open?
    As always any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I only know the 1 bleeding srew at the radiator.
    when I bleed the system I jack up the car in the back about 30 cm. so that the expansion tank will be the highest point form the cooling system. I open the valves for the heating system and then I fill in ( before have drained all ) mixture of antifreeze and destilled water. the bleeding srew is open and I wait until coolant is coming out of this screw. close the screw and let the engine run with about 2500 rpm ( this is important to get the air out of the heaters ) until the thermostat has opened and the fans running. close before the expansion tank. then again open the bleeding screw until no air is coming anymore. let the car down, drive about 5 km and bleed again. check the level in the expansion tank.
    after about 200 km you may bleed again - only to get sure

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    And if the heater/airco delivers no heat ... there is air in that small radiator ... :)

4. TESTADAZ

TESTADAZ Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    London, UK.
    Full Name:
    Daryn
    many thanks guys

5. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Get an Airlift cooling system bleeder. Simple 5 minute operation. Less than $100

6. suicidedoors1964

suicidedoors1964 Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    This gentlemen says:

yes, I stopped using them. Customers were unhappy after I did , say a leaking headgasket, or timing cover. then after finishing and using the airlift bleeder I had to quote a radiator. I knew was dry before any repairs.
    The one I used and still have, hooks up to the rad or bottle were the cap would go. then using shop air it pulls a vacuum in the entire cooling system. you can see the hoses pull in flat and the guage goes near 30" vacuum. Then another hose is full of coolant attached to a container is opened which filles the system leaving absolutly no air. It is a great idea, expecially for the hard to bleed systems because there is no bleeding after because there is no air.
    But I must stand behind my work, so I take the extra time and
    bleed the cooling system the conventional way.

Vacuum bleeding cooling system? | Cooling System Fluids & Additives | Bob Is The Oil Guy

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I have no idea what nature of overly fragile cars he is working on but I have been using an Airlift week in and out for about 10 or 11 years and so have many other shops I know of and have never experienced any trouble.

I am well aware though that there are some out there that can break a steel ball.

8. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Fchatter FerreriTech used one on my TR 2 weeks ago. Flawless. I just topped off the coolant the next morning.

9. suicidedoors1964

suicidedoors1964 Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    Good to know from an expert.