Welcome home F512M! | FerrariChat

Welcome home F512M!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Themaven, Mar 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    #1 Themaven, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My F512M finally arrived on these shores last week. Quick check and MOT test by The Ferrari Centre in Kent, an hour outside London, and then we went to collect and drive it back to central London where it will live. Blessed with a sunny day...and what a car. I am fortunate to have driven almost every Ferrari model made since 2001 for days/weeks at a time for reviews for my magazines. But this is something else. Specifically, it has all the sensation missing from the recent models. Amazing steering. Fantastic sound. And it's fast! Didn't expect it to feel or be so fast, 20 year old car. It loved the sweeping curves and was surprisingly fine cruising on the open highway. Not sure it would love narrow country lanes.
    In terms of TA (tourist attention) in central London: it ranks above every current Ferrari except the 458 Spider (haven't driven the LaFerrari). Around as much as a McLaren 650S Roadster or a Lambo Aventador. Selfies, videos, and several dudes stopping alongside me all asking a variation of the same question: "What year/model is that Ferrari? Awesome, man!".
    Things I love the most: the steering (no power, all the feel that's missing from the entire Ferrari range today), the engine sound even at idle, the pure responsiveness to rev when you blip the throttle - something to do with those lightweight internals that differentiate it from the 512TR? - the carbon racing seats, as comfortable as anything in a contemporary supercar, and the sensations, everywhere. The brakes are pretty good for a 20 year old car, must have been amazing back then. Suspension pretty un-giving (another change from the TR I believe). You avoid potholes. The turning circle is worse than a truck. The boot/trunk is even smaller than the Testarossa (due to the faired-in lights impinging). But who cares!
    Haven't driven it far or fast enough to comment further. That's a plan..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    enjoy this beauty always in good health :)

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Very mint car Darius !!! Enjoy her to the MAXX !

4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you Romano, thank you Mel. Just the right time of year!

5. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Congrats again Darius!

6. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Love the sport seats - congrats and enjoy!

7. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Nice angle on the pic you have there. Anything more towards the front is......well let's just say polarizing. :) Anyway, enjoy and know that you are one of a few to have the privilege of owning "bookends" to the legendary Testarossa trilogy.

8. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Great review Darius ; I fully agree with your impressions which largely correspond to my impressions of my 512 TR.

Your F512M looks spectacular in the context of a normal road scene. :)

9. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Congratulations! Great car.

10. dkyranakis

dkyranakis Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2013
    Centreville, DE
    Full Name:
    Demetri Kyranakis
    Congrats and good luck with her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    All the best Darius!
    Congrats!

12. RedFlyer512TR

RedFlyer512TR Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    Your 512M look fabulous! I hope you enjoy putting plenty of miles on her!

13. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    *laughing* True, the M is not parking lot driving friendly, but at highway speed, it's in its element. :)

Enjoy the M, she is special kind of TR.

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    #14 Themaven, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thank you, everybody, very kind. This is a fantastic online community, just as it says on the tin. I will post further impressions as I drive the car properly (have to juggle it with various contemporary supercars loaned from manufacturers, sigh).
    One question: it is being kept in a heated underground garage nearby where a friend keeps various classic cars. Should I attach a trickle charger? Start her up every week? If I start her, on a day I'm not doing a proper journey, is it a problem to switch off after a couple of minutes (thinking back to 1990s nickasil cylinder bore liner issues)? Go for a drive? (This is central London). What about in winter, is just starting up ok?
    Questions...
    Meanwhile another shot - front view, and for me this is the money shot. Love the lights and the nostril Naca ducts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    darius,
    please never start the engine only to let it idle a few minutes and then shut off ! ! !

when you start the engine you may go out for a drive until water and oiltemperature is ok. so minimum 10 to 15 km. but you may also let the car in the garage for I would say 5 to 6 month without touching anything. longer I would not do because the fuel is getting evaporated and the rest of all the chemical stuff inside may block the injectors.

16. samlimet

samlimet Rookie

Aug 9, 2009
    Sydney Australia
    That's a sensational find, we love the photo's! A very rare beast indeed!

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you. And thank you Romano for that advice.

18. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    What a beast!

Don`t know why I never really noticed the ducts before when looking at pics of them - it s a nice touch.

Hope you enjoy all the advancements on your new model - but don`t forget to keep your original 80`s Red Head happy too - then it will keep you happy with it`s "classic" old school feel aswell :)

Dom.

19. mikefb

mikefb Karting

Aug 14, 2011
    Essex uk
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Darius Car looks fantastic

20. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you..Dominic I am definitely looking forward to driving the Testarossa properly also. She will be ready in a couple of weeks (long waiting list at Joe Macaris). I am expecting an altogether more relaxing experience, if that is the right word for a 12 cylinder Ferrari..

21. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Should I attach a trickle charger? ... Absolutely !

22. Blackfin

Blackfin Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    Southern California
    Congrats.Regarding the trickle, I don't think it is necessary since the M has a battery kill switch in the boot on the right side. I just hit the kill switch after each drive. Yes I lose my preset radio stations, but who really listens to tunes when you have that glorious flat 12 behind you.

23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you. Interesting point re kill switch. Does it interfere with the immobiliser operation? Agree about the tunes, haven't switched radio on yet..

24. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    +1

25. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    You don't have an alarm ???? Allways use a trickle imo :)