Front Tires for 85 TR | FerrariChat

Front Tires for 85 TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by arcticlighting, Mar 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arcticlighting

arcticlighting Karting

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian Chapman
    I purchased and 85 Flying Mirror in November. I was able to find some rears tires for the car as my date code was 507, which seems like 1997 tires, oh my, no more 100MPH days.

Rears will be here this week from Coker, but they don't have any fronts. I see some 255 and some 225's out there but need 240's. Any idea if either of the others will work? or do I just need to wait until Coker gets the 240's, and keep my speed down. Still have the 415 metric rims.

The front's don't look bad but I think they are as old as the rears. Only 240's I have found are on e bay and have a date code of 2002, which isn't much better that what I have going now.

Thank you for the help. If anyone has any input would be appreciated, summer driving will be a concern with the old fronts.

Brian

2. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I just logged on to create a post for people looking for these tires and I saw this. I was hoping we could get a group buy together and convince someone to make more.

Please check the date code on the tires you are getting from Coker. I was looking at them as well and was told that they have 7 in stock but the rears have a date code of 04/04. These tires are 11 years old and I don't know how they can legally or morally sell them at that age. You might want to confirm this and stop them if they haven't shipped yet.

3. DaveB

DaveB Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    Longstone Classic Tyres in England has them listed. That is where I got my rears from. Would have to get in touch with them for date codes.

4. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I tried them and they don't have them either.

5. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Coker won't buy more until they sell out their current stock. I went through this last year with them. They are the only distributor in the US too.

I put over 2,000 miles on my old new tires with the 04 date code. They seem fine so far although I probably will never see the track on them. Make sure you buy the 25 dollar insurance and just inspect them regularly.

6. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Wow, when you have a blow out and it causes you to wreck your car or ideally only shreds and damages the fender wall will they cover that? I just don't see how they can sell these things being 11 years old? I would think the liability would be greater than the $590 per tire they are getting for them.

7. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    they say their storage facility in tennessee keeps the tires in good shape. Discount tire wouldn't mount them though because they were too old. Belle Tire had no issues with the date codes.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #8 Rifledriver, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    You can drive your car more conservatively but what happens when you need to perform a stop in an emergency? I once left some very long skid marks in a TR with old tires and was really shocked at how long it took the car to stop and just how easily the brakes locked up.

Do you really want to rear end someone just so you can keep TRX tires on it?

Don't run old tires. This problem will not get better with time. TRX crap will just get harder and harder to get. The tire will get more and more expensive and anyone in their right mind will not want a car with TRX wheels. Get rid of the TRX wheels and get something that will accept real tires.

9. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sadly this is the truth..
    I looked far and wide... A CLASSIC CASE OF UNOBTANIUM!

10. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I bet if somebody could figure out a process to make the metric wheels into the standards they could have a pretty good business.

11. Maser

Maser Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Harry Metcalfe
    I'm after a new set of TRX tyres for my '85 TR too. I tried Longstones first but like posted earlier, they're waiting for new stock. I have a few contacts at Michelin HQ in France from my Evo days, so I contacted them directly and here's the reply I got:

"I have spoken to the guy in charge of classic (collector) tyres and he tells me that we are currently waiting to complete the testing phase with these and they should be available in September. I assume we have updated certain elements of the tyres to improve performance, hence the testing."

So the good news is there's a new generation of TRX tyres coming for the TR but we'll need to wait until September before they're available

HM

12. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    "I have spoken to the guy in charge of classic (collector) tyres and he tells me that we are currently waiting to complete the testing phase with these and they should be available in September. I assume we have updated certain elements of the tyres to improve performance, hence the testing."

So the good news is there's a new generation of TRX tyres coming for the TR but we'll need to wait until September before they're available

HM[/QUOTE]

Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear..
    That statement is BS...Longstone and Coker are at the mercy of Mich...
    Mich is not making them..That story of sept delivery is over 5 years old now..
    Change your wheel, sell the car...but move on...it aint gonna happen.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #13 Rifledriver, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015

Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear..
    That statement is BS...Longstone and Coker are at the mercy of Mich...
    Mich is not making them..That story of sept delivery is over 5 years old now..
    Change your wheel, sell the car...but move on...it aint gonna happen.[/QUOTE]

Lets assume it is true.

At what price? They won't be giving away any low production, vintage tire. A set of the newly designed BFG's are $500. And they will drive circles around a TRX.

And going forward, supply issues will not change.

14. arcticlighting

arcticlighting Karting

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian Chapman
    Wow lots of info thank you all.

I was e mailing Ken today (has an 85 as well) and he said find a set of 16" rims or some aftermarket rims for the TR.

No problem, I was thinking, will just get the 16" or 18" rims and tires.

The issue is now were do I get rims for an 85 Testarossa. Not like I can go to the local store and get single bolt rims for an 85 TR.

Any points in where to purchase them will be much appreciated.

My wife is going to kill me, LOL. Now need to get rims for a car because I can't find tires, she is going to think I'm fibbing to get some new rims.

Rifledriver you have a lot of insight on the TR's and it's very appreciated.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Carobu has some aftermarket wheels. Ck T Rutlands and GT Car parts as well as the various junk yards to get used. Tom Shaughnessy used to have a cache of wheels. Would be worthwhile asking him too.

16. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    My 95 512M still has original "GoodYear" tires on it; plan to replace them for safety reason and will keep the original tires in storage.