Where's the market? 86 TR. My first F car purchase | FerrariChat

Where's the market? 86 TR. My first F car purchase

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by t_towner, Apr 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. t_towner

t_towner Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Long time car hoarder, first time F car purchase and I need some guidance. I was in the market for a 6 speed 430 w CCB. I've looked at a few 430's and feel like I just need to step up to a 458 however I prefer to be smart about the purchase (i.e. a glut of 458's on the market and prices moving the wrong way). The TR was always an icon growing up and on the radar but now a very real possibility.

Through mutual friends I stumbled onto a 1986 TR and it will be my first TR to look at. We are meeting tomorrow and I need some insight. I've searched the forums and have looked around. I understand some basics about the cars but I need further guidance.

Two questions:
    1. What else do I need to look at specifically w/ the car before making an offer/understanding the value?
    2. Assuming it checks out what is the approximate value in the current market?

Car Specs:
    1986 Testarossa
    26k miles
    Red/Tan
    Engine out 8 years ago
    Taken to the shop at least once a year for routine maintenance and detailed checkup.
    Supposedly all service records (owner has reputation for being picky about his cars)
    Front lower air dam, rockers and rear valance have been touched up(due to rock chips/scrapes). Rest is original paint.
    All luggage is there and still in cotton slip covers with ties.
    Regular driven (supposedly)
    Tires were purchased about 5 years ago. Says date codes aren't that old but doesn't know.
    I believe he's the 3rd owner. Has owned for 8ish years.
    Supposedly no stories car and the owner has a good reputation.

Transaxle - where and what do I look for?
    Any minor idionsyncrancy or issues w/ a 1986 that actually may be very expensive to fix/repair or I that need to be aware of?

I'm thinking in the $75k range for an offer? Or? Am I past due for another engine out service if the car has had yearly/regular checks?

Thanks a million for the help and guidance!

2. galileo

galileo Formula Junior

May 20, 2011
    75k would be a steal. Sounds like a 90-100k to me.

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    hi greg,

before you buy this car check the diff, check the left side cover from the diff if leaking oil or wet
    have a look at the fusebox, remove all fuses each after the other and look if the plastic is melted or not, same you may do with the relais ( be careful, not all relay are equal ! ! !)
    look for leaking waterpump
    check the AC and the heating
    make a smog control check

if you buy the car just take out the engine for a major service

but I don´t think that you will get this car at the time now for 75k, if so you are very lucky or the car is not ok

good luck :)

4. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Factory says 3 years for engine out belt change. Most here agree that 5 years is perfectly acceptable on a car that is driven regularly. When looking at the fuse box, you will see 4 white multi wire connectors. Those are the ones you need to pull and check for browning/ heat damage. The differential can be an issue and can be inspected with the engine in the car via the cover on the drivers side of the tranny. This potential issue spans all years of TR's up to somewhere in 1993 IIRC. Another common item is dash warpage due to age. The leather shrinks and starts to pull up around the edges. Not the end of the world but is time consuming to correct if it bugs you.

I would start it from cold. Small puff of white smoke is ok. Let it warm up until both radiator fans kick in. Make sure they both do their job and cool it down. Normal DYI PPI checks like all buttons and knobs, unusual noises when driving etc. Make sure the oil temp is up before utilizing 2nd gear. Shifts will be notchy, thats normal.

Unless you have a picture of the seller murdering someone......$75k wont close the deal unless a proper inspection uncovers something horrible. You will be looking at a $8k engine out service (assuming they dont find anything else while the engine is out), possible fuse box rebuild ($1,700) and a new style differential if warranted ($4k).

Dave Helms at Scuderia Ramparte does fuse box rebuilding. The TR has six high draw items that tend to overheat the fuse box and burn the previously mentioned white connectors. He takes your box and rewires the items to a stand alone circuit board. It takes about 2 hours of you sitting in the trunk with a solder iron to re instal it. Not rocket science.

I would start the negotiations at what the seller is looking to clear from a sale. He might be willing to meet you half way on some of the needed MX costs. At minimum the car needs an engine out and diff inspected, if either one of those goes......its gonna be costly. As it sits right now, the car sounds like a $85-95K assuming its as clean as you describe.

Hope this helps.

5. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Hi Greg,
    75 might be too low. I agree with the others.
    Adding to what was suggested before:
    Ask if the starter works well when car is warm, like on a hot summer day.
    Mandatory PPi before buying, if owner decline then walk.

6. t_towner

t_towner Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks for the help! So $85-95 as it sits even though it still needs an engine out service? Crap, I sure hope the bottom doesn't fall out of these....

And maybe his internet connection has been out for the last 6 months!?

7. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I was reading a thread a few days ago about F40 price predictions back in 2008/9. Many suggested prices were heading towards $250K when they were approximately $400K at the time. Well that never happened even during the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression. Now they're hitting >$1M. Point is, there are many factors that influence pricing but I think the current Testarossa price bracket is safe and this '86 at <$100K is even safer. I can't see a 20% haircut on these cars any time soon.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/288gto-f40-f50-enzo-laferrari/221741-f40-prices-sinking-fast-asking-below-%24499k-no-takers.html

8. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    #8 88Testarossa, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    I'm now at 7-year major interval at the recommendation of my Ferrari-trained tech for both of my Ferrari's. This is due to the fact that I alternate driving the cars every week and annual mileage (I didn't have to change the clutch in my TR until 30k+ miles. Major service interval was recommended by the same tech who's service my Ferraris for 20+ years. Three years major interval on a TR is overkill if the car is regularly driven.

9. MonoSpecchio

MonoSpecchio Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2006
    SoCal in the IE
    I've found that a lot of sellers don't really keep up to the minute with values. Try to start off your negotiations by printing off NADA.com (way low) and/or Hagarty (more accurate but about 6 months behind) values for the car. You might score the car far under market value.

10. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    #10 sherrillt, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    ^^^ +1

Fchatters tend to be far more up and active on car values than the VAST majority of Ferrari owners. Seems Fchatters think the whole world of Ferrari and ownership revolves around their perspectives - sorry to shock some of you - It doesn't. Active enthusiasts DO shape the market, but I know and have met owners who know NOTHING about cars or values other than what looks nice, or cool and is what they want to drive for a year....they have the means to buy whatever they want and given the factors the OP listed his offer will be about or more than what the owner potentially paid for the car or more. If the current seller is not tracking values on a car that is just sitting, the $75k offer is a good starting point and I highly encourage him/her to make the offer at $75k or less and negotiate up from there.

Do you really think Paris Hilton or Kim K care about the market on a 458?

11. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Good luck for your purchase and search ; be patient and check carefully ; PPI is strongly recommended as all other suggested.

12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Do you know his asking price? I would offer that $75K as a start after you know his price. Who know, maybe he's willing to get less. Engine out due, diff not upgraded. Need to talk first to know his knowledge about the car and market.

13. t_towner

t_towner Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Greg
    We haven't discussed a purchase price and I typically try not to bring up price until after I've crawled over the car and have some level of certainty before a full PPI is done. He knows the market has moved but he also seems very reasonable and ready to move on with life.

And can I really be patient? Seems the prices on these are moving.... if I wait too long the market may leave me where I feel the price has moved too far, too fast?

What originally came with these cars?

Window sticker
    Tool kit
    Luggage
    Owners manuals
    Anything else I should ask or look for (besides detailed service history documentation?)

14. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    if the tires are TRX they are most likely over ten years old.

15. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Window sticker Yes
    Tool kit Yes
    Luggage Option.....Nice luggage sets go for $3500+ now and are becoming difficult to find.
    Owners manuals Yes, in a nice leather pouch
    Anything else I should ask or look for (besides detailed service history documentation?) Yes, there should also be a jack kit in a pouch that looks like the the tool kit pouch, only bigger. Al the little things that came with the car can be found here or on Ebay.

Just to give you an idea of the market. Another Fchatter here sold his 1991 TR for $72k within a couple of hours of posting the for sale ad yesterday. IIRC it had 47k miles, in need of a major and described as a driver. His ad was honest and pointed out the flaws.

The only other $75k range TR's that I am aware of for sale are total beaters from a dealer that should include a tetanus shot with the pre buy. So yes, your inner voice is correct......the prices have and will probably continue to go up especially now that Spring is approaching. Baring any hidden disasters, this TR would be an amazing deal as is for $75K.

Buying from an individual gives me the ability to size up what kind of life the car has had under its current caretaker.

16. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    In my humber opinion, $75k has to be the absolute floor on a sorted previously-owned TR. IF you can buy at that price do so, or suffer buyer's remorse for not jumping on the deal when prices were reasonable.

The days of sub-$100K TRs in driving condition are over, if not now, then very soon.

17. t_towner

t_towner Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Well, the first F car purchase is in the bag. From what I have researched this car seems pretty top shelf. Owned by NCRS corvette judge, 3 owners and the leather binder full of receipts and documentation since day one. 26k miles. Fuse panel, diff seals, luggage and yearly maintained and checked throughly. It wasn't cheap but I feel it was fair.

Questions:
    - Who is the all around best to do the engine out. It's technically past on time but it all works and works well. Car has been serviced yearly and driven regulary. She's been a well loved and cared for example.
    - He painted the lower front valance, rockers and rear valance. Rest of the car is original paint. I personally like the look but is this a problem for the purist?
    - Tan interior and gray carpet for luggage compartment? Is this common?
    - The wheels... I'd like a set of the 18" aftermarket rims that look stock. Does anyone have a spare set laying in the corner?

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    The single mirror cars came with grey carpet in the front bonnet compartment, it was changed to the same colour as the interior in 1987 I think. Yours certainly looks original to me (I have the same colour combination and year).

Personally I would change the valances and skirts back to black, but I am a purist. I would also change the rear badge back to its original black (not chrome).

David

19. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Dave Helm has a very good reputation, he's in Boulder Colorado. I would personally paint the lower in black as original.

Congrats for your new aquisition!

20. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Absolutely! Back skirts and valances all the way. It's just that personally when I see a TR with red ones, I expect to find a 1000 watts subwoofer and a silver skull shift knob inside...

21. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Did you come close to the price you had in mind?

22. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Very nice. Congrats!

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Congrats on a nice TR!

Norwoods in Dallas would be a little shorter drive, (but I love Dave too!)

You are quickly going to find the wheels/tires on these cars is not exactly a phone call to TireRack. The OEM Goodyears are NLA.

Others can chime in on what they are running.

Just take good care of the OEM wheels
    Ferrari wheels are a difficult fitment.

Welcome to the club!!

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I highly doubt it.....

25. jjmalez