A big TR thumbs up from UK television | FerrariChat

A big TR thumbs up from UK television

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by martinperry, Apr 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    Channel 5 last night dedicated the first 10 minutes of their show to a love in from Quentin Wilson predicting. Stratospheric future values. Can't do any harm!

Episode 11 | The Classic Car Show | Channel 5

Not sure if it will show worldwide or not

2. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Cannot watch from over here (USA).

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    also can not watch in germany :(

4. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    #4 chabch, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    nor from france...

5. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Managed to VPN through and saw it

It's indeed quite a love letter to the TR. He basically says that the world owes a BIG apology to the TR for having left it so undesired at the bottom of car ads for decades. He says that what made this car so undesirable for so long is exactly what is making now so incredibly desirable: the fact that it represented the 80s like nothing else on this planet. He said that Pininfarina and Ferrari got it so right, and that its higher production numbers were simply due to the fact that it was the first supercar in history that was reliable, easy to live with, and sold worldwide. He says at the end that he predicts the TR will go well past the 100k pounds very soon and soar even higher.

That's a quick summary. The TR in the film was an 87 US specs filmed in California. Great show by the way, I hadn't heard about it.

6. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  7. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    Jeff
    Good spot on the write up.
    Interesting how the mainstream media are waking up to the TR at the moment. Interesting times.
    It is actually a very well balanced car show for once!!
    Rumor has it that Jodie Kidd is being lined up to present Top Gear now that JC has been dumped!!

8. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I'm still waiting for this apology, but I won't hold my breath :))

I guess the manner in which people are apologizing is by drooling over those strakes and that stunning rear boot whenever the car pulls up!

I'm downloading this episode as we speak. Can't wait to see it :)

9. MonoSpecchio

MonoSpecchio Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2006
    SoCal in the IE
    Here's the full episode for those outside the UK. Jump to 1:30 for the TR review. Quentin really gushes about the TR, but it's hard to argue with what he says though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkmHNqJdY-0

10. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    As long as the value continues to rise I am a happy man !!! :)

11. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Now how do you watch that without a sense of pride or premonition? Great review, thanks for posting.

Anyone know the owner?

12. Col. Kurtz

Col. Kurtz Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    Walter E.
    Great clip. Loved it!

13. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Will Clarkson or James May ever apologize?? They both ripped on it :)

Clarkson changed his tune on the Countach and gave it praise.

I remember seeing a Ferrari special where he said "Ferrari don't always get it right. The Testarossa was a dog and the Mondial was it's dinner"

I'd love to see him drive a TR with a Tubi on it and give it a negative review with a straight face LOL

Anybody know how to get in touch with him? We need to see this review PRONTO

14. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    With all due respect.....who cares what they say. Opinions are like @ssholes...everyones got one. I bought the TR for one reason....I liked it. I am lucky that every day I get to open the garage door and there it is. I think all TR owners have a reason for their purchase. For me it simple.....looks,color,interior, etc.......and above all.....it's a Ferrari. Something I never thought I would own. Politely put....up theirs.

15. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    That was a great segment. Yea swelling with pride.

Totally agree Tubo, nuthing like opening the garage and seeing her in the morning.

16. sohailrashid

sohailrashid Karting

Jun 18, 2005
    San Jose California
    Full Name:
    testacalvo
    Nice touch at 6:40. A kiss on the tail pipe tip.

17. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    If it's good enough for crocket and tubs, it good enough for anyone. Love the testarossa, it's only the fact I always end up in newer and newer ferraris that I've not owned one, despite my best judgement, I never buys cars to keep and cherish, always chasing the next best things

18. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Was in a trance for a bit there!

Whenever I see a Testarossa being driven along to 80's background music I dissapear from planet Earth for a while....

Wish we had roads like that over here though.

Love the vids when they're opened up and all you here is the 12 cyl music too - but there aren't many cars that are so hypnotic to watch just rolling along casually and relaxed. There really isn't anything else like it!

Dom.

19. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Great video, but do y'all agree with his statement about the other 80s Ferraris being unreliable?

20. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I cant speak for the pre or post 80's Fcars. But for me the TR was the perfect car as it was modern enough to be reliable and without a million computers to fail. Plus its a continuation of the Boxer....so they had a couple years to smooth the rough edges.

21. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Yeah it's the same system used on the FI 3x8s which are also considered to be very reliable. So he says we need to apologize to the TR and then repeats the same cliches.

22. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Good sharing . Thanks ; congrats to the TR owners ... including myself :)

23. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Nearly bought a 512 TR back in 2003 for £65k from an AD here in Yorkshire - regrets Oh Yes many times and not just because of the rising values!!

Yes it only ran on 10 cylinders for the first few miles of the test drive and yes for me at 6ft 4" it was a little tight to say the least but what a car.

Miami Vice and all the hype aside viewed from the rear it was and still is unforgettable.

You are very lucky indeed.

24. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Wow! That was super for us TR owner. I'm calling (again) my insurance broker! 😉😊

25. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Had mine for just over 2 years with 3 policies (initial, 1st renewal, 2nd renewal). I've bumped it 25% each year. At this rate, I'd be hitting the $150's next year which I think we are closely approaching for a low milage '87.