Boxer and testarossa | FerrariChat

Boxer and testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Apr 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I made some observations this week comparing the two back to back. I love them both but I found the boxer was easier to drive, more roomy in the cabin and noticeably quicker. My boxer isn't stock which could explain the performance difference though. The testarossa feels like a much more capable car though, planted, hefty and commanding on the road vs the boxer. The testarossa also draws a crowd and cell phone pictures unlike the boxer which gets noticed but doesn't cause people to drive off the road with their heads cranked trying to get a look. Both awesome cars that scratch two very different itches.

2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i find the boxer more engaging to drive. more visceral, more skittish, more brutal, heavier controls, and requiring more precise input. the 512tr on other hand feels more planted, vault like at high speed. i have vmaxed both, and would much rather be in the 512tr. however, pls note that wheel/tire choice makes a big dif on the bb.

3. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I have a 512TR and a Boxer- I agree that the TR looks more outrageous and gets more gawking, but I prefer the drive on the Boxer and it's Sexy body.

Sure the TR is newer and more advanced, but the Boxer gets my vote for more engaging around town to drive while the TR is probably better come higher speeds.

In the end they're both Great, just different ;)

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as most of you know I have a koenig BB, 1977,( 450 hp like paul also has ) and a TR koenig competition, 1987

I prefer the BB for driving because it is easier to handle. the power starts with about 2500 rpm up to the redline. sure, the brakes are not up to date with today cars but still very good ( I have front and rear AP racing calipers ). to park the car is much easier than a TR. the steering is easier. also the design is one of the best I ever have seen.

the TR ( because of so much HP ) is hard to drive. when I go only up to 3500 rpm it is nothing spectacular, but then the 2 turbochargers start working right and a rocket would be slow then. it is hard to go slow with this car and also hard to go fast. even the brakes are in the front from a F 50 and in the rear a AP racing - absolutely hard to drive when you go fast, too fast, because the brake distances are very long at high speed. when I go with the competition I have to be fit in mind 100 % ! this koenig car is the only car when I drive it I put on sport shoes, normaly I drive all other cars with wooden clogs that I wear every day. this car is more a weapon than a car

my dream would be a BB with the engine and the brakes and the complete suspension from the competition :) :) :)

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I drive in my socks, that way I can feel the car betetr. I have track pads on the BBi thye need a little heat but work great, in fcat hotter better.

But yes you have to think ahead, and if youa re corbering fast you have to be comited, comapred to say a mdern where you wont be punished.

My only experience in a TR was many years ago, but my snese was low and midrange response was not as good at the BBi.

Perhaps one really big difference is that a TR is nto so heat sensitive, BBS are really crispy waether cars whereas TRs hav an ac that works and the cabin is not a heated greenhouse.

A BB with big power, well I do have a512M engine just kinda waiting.