Who can figure this one out....... | FerrariChat

Who can figure this one out.......

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jcorallo, May 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcorallo

jcorallo Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    1986 Testarossa just had engine out service. New battery and new alternator also among many other things. Car runs great. Ill start it, drive it, and turn it off and it wont start. Ill have to sit for about anywhere from 3 - 5 minutes and then it will start. I saw the thread about the solenoid locking up so I thought it was that. I got a new starter and installed it yesterday. Car didn't start. Loosened all the starter bolts reseated it and then it started twice. Go to start it today and nothing which is a first because it would always start the first time but wouldnt start after it was driven. So i took off the inspection cover and moved the flywheel and it started. Turned it off and nothing. Moved the flywheel again and it started. It has a full twelve volts going to it and I hear it clicking everytime. All im thinking is before it was the solenoid issue and now it is a mechanical issue?

Ok people have at it!!!!

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    It has to be electrical. Check the voltage at the output of the solenoid while cranking not just the voltage from the battery Under no load this mean nothing. You can have a voltage drop anywhere in the circuit and with no load it can show full voltage at the starter. Engine ground??? Chassis ground??? Positive is only half the path for the current.

If you do not have the full voltage while cranking(or trying to crank) check each circuit as follow.

Take a small jumper wire from the battery positive to your voltmeter + and the - of the meter to the positive of the starter, crank and read voltage. Should read near zero. If you read a voltage this is what you're loosing.

Same procedure with the negative side. - of battery to ground of starter with the voltmeter in between. Also should read near zero. Any reading is a drop of voltage in the circuit.

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    can you please specify the "starting or not starting" better?
    so does the starter turns and the engine will not start or does not even the starter does not start?

4. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    With my 86, I carried a leather mallet...tap the starter before you try to start it..is the new starter black case or italian silver??
    If its Black, send it back.

5. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Could it be a relay or it's connections?

6. jcorallo

jcorallo Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    It is the exact same Bosch that was on the car - it was black but the paint was pealing. The model is the exact same number on the old and the new one - that I checked before putting it on.

when I say doesn't start it does nothing - I just hear a click. When it starts it starts right up.

Ill check the voltage drop the next time - im not too good at that stuff though.

Does moving the flywheel give you guys any clues?

7. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Is the click coming from the starter solenoid or the relay?

8. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This has been gone over so many times.

You need to understand that the pathway from the key to your starter has numerous connections. These are at the fuse box itself, the key switch, and harness connectors that ultimately terminate at your starter. It is one of these connections that is most likely causing your problem.

This is a silly question...but ...do you understand how a starter works? It is nothing but a relay itself. So the problem is most likely on your low amp signal, not the high amp side that turns the starter.

You need to see if you are getting 12v on the signal to the starter.

9. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Sometimes the problem comes from worn brushes or bad contact of them, but if you have a new starter if shouldn't be it.

The low amp circuit for the pull-in winding take his ground from the starter internal circuit through the brushes. Sometimes the low amp is not getting good ground and people replace solenoid which is not the faulty part.

10. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    So how do you explain the flywheel portion?

11. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Here is my extrapolation. The hold-in winding try to pull the plunger but is not strong enough to engage the solenoid disk to contact. The bendix then stay partialy engaged in the flywheel. Turning the flywheel rotate the bendix and make the starter motor to turn a bit and moving the brushes and give better contact. The pull-in then have a good ground and now work.

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may have a look at the teeth of the flywheel. may be some are damaged and the starter gear can not move between those teeth. when you turn the flywheel a little the teeth may be ok again??

13. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Exactly. Otherwise known as a flat spot to us laymen.

14. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    I suspect voltage drop is not helping the situation. There is a small fix that adds a small relay to reduce the cable runs from the front of the car to the starter.

HTH

P

15. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Just clean and check you connections.. Recent engine out and you just got her back.. Something on the connection side. Check cables and grounds

R

16. bpcurtis

bpcurtis Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Dickinson, TX
    Full Name:
    Burnell P Curtis
    Install an extra relay as suggested by Phillwozza and I bet your problem will go away. It did for me. There should be a post somewhere detailing how to do it. If not, contact me.

Burnell Curtis

17. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Connectors under the expansion tank.

18. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'd put my money on the ignition switch being bad and not sending enough voltage to the solenoid to get it to engage. Had that happen to me on two completely different cars. Same symptoms and starter replacement did nothing. Contacts inside the ignition switch get worn or burnt and don't pass full voltage to the starter. Usually worse when the car is warm. The tip off is that a new starter exhibited the same behavior.

19. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

20. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There are two cases.

If it does not start (using your definition), and you do not get 12V at the solenoid, trace the wiring to see where the fault is.

If it does not start, and you do get 12V at the solenoid, get a new starter. Do not have it rebuilt.

21. dontilgon

dontilgon Formula Junior

May 30, 2011
    NY/PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    +1

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Absolutely correct!

What did the VOLT METER say about this ? Or is it fixed by now.

In my case, the 12V went from ign key to fusebox ... in there, after measuring we found out one layer was burnt ... made a wired connection ... fixed ...

And yours now ?

23. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I'm still interested to know what's up. Think we chased the OP away with the backhanded insults. :(

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hope NOT .... :)