A sunny day in London | FerrariChat

A sunny day in London

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Themaven, May 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    #1 Themaven, May 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Which is a rare thing, so time to take another rare thing out. What strikes me about the 512M is how uncompromising and direct it is. This is not a special series/Scuderia/Challenge/Enzo/F50 style car. If you wanted a 12 cylinder 2 seater Ferrari in 1995, this was it. She grumbles and roars around town; manhole covers and potholes punch you in the head; a slight change in steering results in a direct change of direction. Breathe towards the throttle and you surge forward. Stop at the lights and a beast from Hades stops behind you, every time.
    I love it.
    In evolutionary terms, replacement was the 550, amazing car but so different. 575, fantastic car but a sedan to drive by comparison. 599, remote, clinical, brilliant, emotionless. (The views expressed here are those of the author only.) That's three gens of completely different car; in customer terms, a 180 degree, far greater than Porsche's 993 to 996 that gets so many internet km.
    Then the F12 and that for me steps back/forward towards the 512M again: manic, maniacal, focussed and not a cruiser at all. (But still somehow a bit unloveable.)
    And so, Ferrari's philosophy makes sense: the mainstream cars are much more liveable. (Try driving the 512 every day - potholes, parking lots, you'd need to be committed). The crazy cars are limited editions for focussed people.
    But back in 1995, this was it. Cool. Respect to the original owners.
    End of essay.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Looks great, rare sight in the UK.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Sunny ! Not here in NL today ! Enjoy it !

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    When the 550 came out, some mag did a drive through Italy with a Tr or M owner and a 550. As you said the 550 was a sedan in comparison.

Sometimes actualy mostly all times the quest for speed, and useability robs the sportscar of the very essence of what makes it so special in the first place.

Yet in terms of new car sales, paper specs which cant be used and "useability" which allow average drivers to commute ring in sales.

This makes the last old school cars, in fact all old school cars somehting special for which there are no modern equivalents. The last of the breed, things liek 612's and 993's had enough tractability to be useable enough to get out of town to the right roads, and the rawness.

There is a reason why evrybody wnats a 288 or f40 and a "fatser" 430 is ho hum. Its not just rarity.

5. quarryman

quarryman Karting

Dec 30, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Paul
    and indeed the weather was glorious

a meet at some stage is in order>

best wishes

Paul Maudsley

6. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    special car. Is the clutch about as heavy as a 308's ?

7. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Great performance and wonderful sounds , right ? Enjoy it more in the sunny days ... not much in UK .

8. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    I've driven both, the 512m clutch pedal is heavier than the 308. They feel and drive like two different animals. The M is a brute, but at speed, an absolute thrill.

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    This is sooo true. Shoot it around some roundabouts on the edge in the dry and your hairs stand on end, in the best possible way. My kids think it's more fun than any theme park ride (maybe a reflection on my driving). And they have been in a lot of supercars courtesy of my job. Would I push the limits in the wet? Only when I was 20 years younger, which, thankfully, is when I was not able to afford one, and when they were not born, when the cars were manufactured...otherwise, they may never have been born..

But the biggest thing is this: this is a car that is absolutely engaging, exciting, enveloping, to drive 15 miles along busy roads without ever being a rev hero. Something that none of today's Ferraris have, despite their brilliance.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Ha ha .... but wait untill you get stuck in a 10 miles que on the M way once ... :D

11. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Still looks great, 20 years young.

It looks very exotic which is the correct term for it, the front engined v12's are very discrete.

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you and correct. I look forward to driving it and my 550 back to back shortly. Remarkable that 550 is direct replacement; symbolic of Ferrari's change of direction under Luca di M. And yes Mel I agree, Ferrari worked out no power steering and rumbustious manners were not things its expanding market would stand for.

13. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    undoubtedly their new market required different things, but it's a shame that the exotic, pure, connected and raw values have been somewhat dulled. It's a bit like the Rolling Stones pressing the auto-tune button.

14. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    The non powered steering is not bad actually, you feel your arms are working in very tight parking spots and manoeuvring. I often find the same tired feedback after lifting weights at the gym.

15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Would be fun Paul. 365BB, that is pure class..

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Really true...