Hazard/turn relay | FerrariChat

Hazard/turn relay

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by lasvegascop, May 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lasvegascop

lasvegascop Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    "Ski"
    #1 lasvegascop, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Hey guys....

Am I missing something? I searched our forum for 61651800 relay and nothing came up? I'm sure someone mentioned it before or has a cross ref part or something? Or maybe it's a different part number all together? Mine is sticking...BADLY. Sometimes it works and most of the time it wants to play stupid.

Anyways.....

Any info ref this part would be so greatly appreciate it. Specially where exactly it's located and how to get to it. (Yes, I know that its allegedly under the dash) I have an 86 TR US Spec.... Would like to get this done since driving around without turn signals is getting a little annoying and unsafe!

What I've done so far?

Checked the actual hazard switch and it doesn't have any corrosion or foreign material. It cycles crisp. I took the harness off of it and put it back into it several times too, just to make sure...still same. When button pushed out, I can hear the relay click once.....every time the button is pushed out it clicks once....did a few cycles like that and still nothing.
    This makes me want to think it might be the actual flasher relay???????

2. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2 302Tim, May 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    61651800 is the correct PN for your application. The relay is behind the fuse panel (you'll have to partially remove it (no need to disconnect the connectors, just remove the two securing screws and lift the tabs clear on the bottom).

So your hazards are not flashing and your turn signals are not flashing--at all, or intermittently? If you hadn't said so I would have pointed you to the circular connector on the bottom of the hazard switch--I found one pin corroded which caused the same issue. So you've had that off/on several times, all pins look good and are tight. The single nero (black) ground wire is attached to the center pin on the switch?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. lasvegascop

lasvegascop Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    "Ski"
    Oh Wow....Thnx for the diagram and the pics...Excellent. Yeah, the actual haz switch looks like a brand new unit out of the box. No corrosion anywhere. The darn flashers are about $100 pop, wish I'd know for sure! Haha

so No turn signals or hazard lights....after I cycle the haz switch several times she will show life but only for a brief moment. Everytime I press it up or down, I do hear a cluck from the relay, nothing else.....so if the switch was junk, then the relay wouldn't click, right?

4. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Firstly, great pics and diagrams Tim. Ski, I would pull the hazard switch and play with it. It could be gunked up or not making proper contact ( a wire could be hanging on by a wing and a prayer). IF you can short out the wires that go into the switch to make the hazards work.....then I would suspect the switch (I know elementary).

I had to clean out my window switch to get it to work properly. I was amazed how the grease turned into clay. Combine that with oxidation etc = poor contact.

5. lasvegascop

lasvegascop Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    "Ski"
    Yeah, good point......I'll try that!

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Maybe the predessor tried a new switch and it is not the right one (remember the BMW version :))

7. lasvegascop

lasvegascop Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    "Ski"
    Solved the problem!!!!! It was the actual flasher relay behind the fuse box. I got very lucky and picked up a brand new flasher relay on eBay for $75 free s&h.....plugged it in, the turn signals work along with the hazard lights.....nothing wrong with the car now....