1988 TR no spark on left bank | FerrariChat

1988 TR no spark on left bank

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by gearjam, May 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gearjam

gearjam Rookie

Apr 17, 2007
    1988 TR with no spark on left side. Swapped ignition amps, coils, cleaned plugs on left side. Swapped injection ECUs just to see if it helped. Checked fuse on overvoltage relay inside black box in right rear inner fender. It will produce one spark about every 5 seconds on left side watching coil wire laying on ground. Engine does run on right side. Both fuel pumps are running. Any ideas????????????

2. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Try the relays in the small triangular box above the RHS wheel arch. There is one with a RED fuse. That may be you're problem. Check it has reliable contacts...

Phil

3. gearjam

gearjam Rookie

Apr 17, 2007
    Thx did check that. What is control unit on top of the left rear inner fender. Has a vacuum line to it and engine wont run with unit disconnected. Seems like a ignition control unit? How do the separate side ignition systems interface the cranks sensors, through that unit?

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, that is the MicroPlex ignition ECU over the LR wheel, and it synthesizes the signals to drive the two (independent) coil power modules from the single set of flywheel sensor signals.

The symptom you report is very unusual (unless someone's done some strange modifications) as, on a KE-Jet TR, the tachometric relay would turn off the fuel pump relays if it doesn't get a "good" signal that the 7-12 coil primary winding is actually being switched (and if the 7-12 coil primary winding is switching, the coil wire should be sparking), but maybe your "one spark about every 5 seconds" is enough to keep the tachometric relay happy.

Does "left side" means the 7-12 bank, and "right side" mean the 1-6 bank?

5. gearjam

gearjam Rookie

Apr 17, 2007
    yes left side 7 thru 12. Car is dealer owned and no history but was driven long enough on right side of motor that the aluminum shielding on right header is melted

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Is it a US F113A040 engine TR or a euro F113B engine TR?

7. gearjam

gearjam Rookie

Apr 17, 2007
    Not sure assuming its a USA car being that I am in the states. The ignition amps on top of the coils are interchangeable correct? I put a substitute amp on left side and that's when I started to get the one or two sparks out of coil wire while the engine is running. I now have original coil and amp from right side on left side and replacement amp and coil on right side. After looking at wiring diagram the crank sensors are interfaced in the ignition module to fire both sides of the engine. Its on top of left rear inner fender. I opened it up but cant see any issues with it. Anyone ever replace one of these? Where would I get one?

8. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    No spark on 7-12 side coil she will shut down. Won't run.

R

9. gearjam

gearjam Rookie

Apr 17, 2007
    Car runs on right side bank. Everything ,coils, ignition amps have been swapped side to side. Car still runs on right side. A spark every 5 seconds or so out of 7 thru 12 side coil wire.

10. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    And you've checked the coil wire, spark plug wires, extenders, distributor cap and rotor on the side that's not firing (you didn't mention you had).

FerrParts has an injection ECU if that's what it turns out to be.

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    if you have a scope try to check if the left coil is getting pulse from the ECU, also test the right side first that you see how the scope image has to look

12. jmcscotty

jmcscotty Rookie

Jan 27, 2015
    #12 jmcscotty, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    I have problem with one bank out on 1986 Mondial 3.2L Cabriolet. AFter much switching of parts such as coils I finally did the experiment I should have done first and determined whether there was a good signal coming out of the bottom of the coil on the bad side. THis splits the problem in two. It is either upstream i.e. in coil or electronics or downstream in distributor cap/rotor, HT wires, plugs. I attached an inline plug tester to bottom of coil and a new spark plug which i laid against the engine block for ground. Starting the engine, with the good bank (cylinders 5,6,7,8,) both of these devices on the bad bank (1,2,3,4)sparked so my problem which I am still fighting is in the distributor cap/rotor or further downstream. Switching plugs 4 and 5 made no difference (5 still sparks) so the problem is not I believe the plugs. I found electrical disconnection (break) in two HT leads, 2 and 3 and replaced with HT lead from O'Reilly's. Problem remains so I suspect even with broken HT lines, the spark can jump the gap and does not stop engine. So I am focusing on the distributor cap such as possible worn carbon button which is in the centre of the cap (it joins to HT line going to bottom of coil) and presses against rotor but can wear out. I am focusing on that area. Distributor Cap can develop carbon tracks from carbon off the carbon cap and cause shorts. See my posts under Jmcscotty.

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Any improvements Jim ?