convert double low mirror to flying? | FerrariChat

convert double low mirror to flying?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by redferrarispyder, May 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redferrarispyder

redferrarispyder Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    had a look for this thread couldnt find one...
    wondering how easily you could do this?
    only difficult as Imagine the low mirror car being converted to a high mirror has the little black pieces in the front quarter window?

2. mjh366

mjh366 Karting

Jul 26, 2007
    Kerrville Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike hoskins
    Has it come to this? Lets pretend, no substance . A make believe single mirror car.

3. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just wondering why you'd want to do that? Also I thought the place where the lower mirror mounts on the later cars looks different than the space at the bottom of the window on the flying mirror variants. So that'll look off too.

4. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    #4 Total Recall, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Hi,

I would imagine it`s a bit of a job to be honest.

When I bought my early `86 it was an original flying mirror that had been converted to double low I would say a good 20 years ago.

I knew I had to put it back to original sometime - and finally did it all last month.

I`ve never been so happy to find filler in my life when I finally uncovered the original mounting holes! It was scary just drilling the filler out of the main pillar - so I can`t imagine what it would be like drilling through solid metal that close to the windscreen....

Ofc I`m no body expert but there is definitely more to it than drilling a couple of holes.

The holes are quite wide and there is also a big hole in the middle where the wire harness goes through.

The mounting holes aren`t just a simple hole either - they are kindof ball socket shaped at the top as the mounting studs on the mirror are domed at the top end, so it all fits solid and snug - I don`t know how you would drill out the body to the exact shape - no doubt it can be done by an expert but like I say definitely not simple.

The mirror is completely different to the low mirror so you obviously would need one of those - and also the side glass to replace the original low mirror mounting plates. Then there`s the seals and other bits and pieces in the door housing that are different in that area.

Not trying to put you off - if you want to do it for your own benefit and it`s your car - but I can`t see it adding value as obviously the main extra value from a flying mirror is in the relative rarity and anyone buying one is going to know it`s only 84-86 that has them - and any mid to late year 86 is probably going to be scutinised a bit if sold to make sure it`s original as that was the change over period....

Also it`s hard not to look at a mirror that is no longer there - so your passenger wonders why you keep looking at them lol!

Anyway yeah obviously anything can be done but I can see it being a bit of a nightmare if it`s not original so you don`t have the original mounting holes to go by....

Dom.

5. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I also have single mirror, that is converted to double; yes, two bolt holes are also filled and painted over and I have those glass.
    BUT after all; it is everything to do with chassi number.

Quote from "red-headed.com"
    "The first cars having double low mirrors were s/n 67079 for Euro versions and s/n 67487 for US versions (first US car with Model Year 1987). "

6. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Another detail...You'll need to change your 5 lug wheels to the single spinner...Otherwise you'll be confused by this crowd as a mighty poseur.
    Anyway don't forget to post pics and give us the VIN of your car. Just in case...

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    He must be using drugs :D

It's like someone with two good arms who wannts one off just to look differennt ??????

8. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    If you want to destroy the car or just be different, why not a Lambo periscope?

9. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    cmon Claude we all know everyone thinks the single mirror cars are cool! Whats wrong with wanting to be cool? To the OP, if it were me I would sell your testarossa and buy a single mirror car if thats what you really desire. Don't chop up a testarossa, they only made 7k cars have you not seen whats been happening in the classic car markets? Don't do it you will be sorry!

10. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Any potential future owner will soon figure out through the VIN that it's a phony........and then they're gonna start questioning what else you've done. I'd say leave it.

11. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    It sounds ridiculous to me regardless it seems to be creative ..

12. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
  13. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Jeff, I totally agree with you! I'm sure someone with a single mirror car would be ready to swap with him to get the second mirror to look at all the cars he left behind ;) from many angles.

Seriously, if you want a single mirror sell yours and buy what you want.

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Absolutely agree with Claude ... it is more or less fraude and will be found out so easily ...