Replacement CV Joints | FerrariChat

Replacement CV Joints

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by wintech, May 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Hi all!
    putting it out there for replacement drive shaft CV's joints for the Testarossa.
    Stripped and cleaned mine and found 2 of them to have spalling on the splined star drive, both have only one drive slot affected, but it has compromised the integrity of the bearing surface.
    I have been on the GKN/Lobro site and no listing for the F108 L100 (as marked on the outer diameter) Listing on Ricambi is only for complete drive shafts.

Any suggestions where I could locate them or is there an application X reference that anyone is aware of?

Cheers
    Pete

2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hello Pete...it seems like the Porsche 911 uses the same joints....if I recall correctly.

3. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Thanks Jeff,
    wasn't sure if the spline was the same size on Porsche, but it sure looks the closest!
    Just emailing the supplier to confirm.
    Cheers mate!
    Pete

4. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Check out this part number: 930-332-034-00-M60 (from Pelican Parts)

5. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    They are Prosche 930 CV's....I think the part numbers are in the cross reference thread.

6. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    NUP!
    first place I looked, has a porsche part for the boots is all.

7. sohailrashid

sohailrashid Karting

Jun 18, 2005
    San Jose California
    Full Name:
    testacalvo
  8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    SEARCH this Foum please ! There was a hughe thread about it some (years) time ago ...

Very informative !

9. Ferrari Testarossa

Feb 27, 2011
    Full Name:
    David Mason
    At 47K miles on my TR
    I replaced the CV boots and cleaned the bearings as a preventative measure. The boots had signs of age and to my surprise the grease had dried out to a thick viscosity.
    I had found that compressing the boots would result in the sound of air getting past the sealing clamps.

There is a "Design flaw" with the method of sealing the boot ends with the conventional boot clamps. The clamps when initially installed may seem tight and secure. However, over time the rubber boot will compress and reduce the seal integrity. As the boot is in motion at various angles the loose fit of the sealing clamp to boot increases even more. This results in exposure of air and small amounts of dirt to the grease and bearings. Hence the dirty grease we often encounter from what appeared to be a well sealed boot. The heat from the exhaust manifold and engine increases the drying rate of the bearing grease. My "solution" is to use three small hose clamps tied together in a chain as a clamp for the larger diameter end of the CV joint and a just one hose clamp for the small diameter end. The purpose for using three clamps in a chain on the large diameter is for rotational balance. The advantage of hose clamps is the ability to readjust as needed over time. Some hose clamps are poorly designed and can allow a small zone of improper compression. This matter can be minimized by using small width or specially designed clamps.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx David, although Italian made, these CV joints imo do not wear out within KMiles 75 or so ...

But indeed also need TLC, a new bit of proper grease and new boots should do the trick.

Thanx for your info; it is realy good !

11. AntonioMora

AntonioMora F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2004
    Malaga (España)
    Full Name:
    Antonio Mora Romero
    Somebody sais that only two testarossa cabrio was made on maranello factory, one for agnelli and other for a texan rich man. Do you know the name of this rich man? . Thank you.

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    antonio
    what has the question to do with the CV joints?

13. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    308/328/Mondial/F40... all have same CV joint Mondial and F40 even same driveshaft together, so order one from Superformance/Eurospares to your TR. I just change diff from my Testarossa, and dismantle all joints. I think I have now done 32 of them...

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    What diff did you install Mikael ? And why ? Preventive or ...

15. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Got mine from Pacific Customs. Lobro- German made $ 104.50 each, 28 spline, 108mm diameter, 40mm thick, used Red Line grease.

16. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Hi Todd,
    thanks for the response back on track! which ones did you get - 930 turbo units or the 935?
    At this stage I just need to confirm that the driveshaft spline is the same as the Porsche, as every other dimension fits!

I am surprised that there are threads on this going back 7 yrs yet no one has uploaded the part numbers for the CV joints from various suppliers to the Xref list.

I have quite a few suppliers that have got back to me, yet all cannot confirm the 28 spline drive on the Porsche 911/930 turbo is the same as the TR drive spline.

I would be happy to update the existing cross ref list and submit it for uploading.

Cheers
    Pete

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

So, every car manufacture on the planet is useing a flawed method of securing cv boots? Even F1 racing teams?

18. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    +1 My original flawed clamps were still sealed perfectly last year when I re-greased my joints at 45,000 miles...

19. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Mine too, perhaps they were a faulty batch, maybe, coulda been?

20. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Pacific Customs part # porsche930cv-german. Just type in 911 turbo cv and it will take you to the right pages. I also used the thin Porsche screw clamps on axle and CV joint, sourced them local around $1.25 each, just don't care for the pull and pinch clamps. Clean boot and mating surface on axle and CV joint and clamps worked great. Have 91 TR and splines are 28. Was told biggest problems concerning leaking joints/boots was overfilling with grease, bought cheap scale from h/f and filled to wsm specs.

21. Ferrari Testarossa

Feb 27, 2011
    Full Name:
    David Mason
    The CV boots on F1 cars are not designed for high miles. F1 cars have just about every part rebuilt or replaced between competitive races. They will place concentric rings or wire ties around the central portion of a CV boot to prevent centrifugal forces and heat from distorting the boot to failure. (They can burst at F1 Speeds) Time and high miles is simply not a concern or factor in CV boots used in F1 designs.

My earlier description of failed clamps is due to heat, age, and high miles. The "design flaw" is due to the fact that the conventional method of clamping CV boots will fail over time. The metal clamps do not fail but the rubber boot will compress as mentioned to the point of outer and inner seal failure. I've seen dozens of examples of partial contamination. The boots appear to be "intact" but the boot outer seal clamping tension has failed due to aged boot rubber. If the design is not flawed then why are there so many bearings becoming contaminated with dirt even when the boot is intact? And why have there been patents applied for by GKN Automotive (A manufacturer of CV joints) in an attempt to address the boot seal failure?

22. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Don't want to hijack the thread, but I have bought a set of CV joints, to fit a 930 Porsche.

Thanks Todd!

23. Ferrari Testarossa

Feb 27, 2011
    Full Name:
    David Mason
    If your 930 CV joints have not been assembled I would recommend packing them with synthetic grease. Before installing them I also recommend wrapping the boots with a protective cover to prevent damage during installation. I once contacted a sharp corner during a CV joint replacement. There was no visible damage but the boot failed within a week.

24. Santino1

Santino1 Karting

Jun 4, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Daniel