To jump or not to jump on the 512TR bandwagon? | FerrariChat

To jump or not to jump on the 512TR bandwagon?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 348SStb, Jun 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

#1 348SStb, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    I have already lived "the dream." At least in F-car context. I am so lucky in so many ways. And I am grateful to have lived the dream.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/160289-my-new-red-tan-1994-512-tr.html
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/80710-wow-i-just-drove-512tr-d-my-review.html

Naturally I kick myself for selling my 1994 512 TR at all. I sold it back in Spring, 2009 when things were extremely scary in the US. The stock market tumbled to 6,000, uncertainty was everywhere. I sold the car for exactly what I had paid in 2007.

I now have the opportunity to buy my old car back, or I can buy a different red/tan 1994 car that is similar.

I think it's insane that values could really go up this quickly and this much. But my heart aches for that car, which I really sold in a panic. I love the 512 TR. I certainly don't "need" it... And I have never been one to "buy high" or jump on bandwagons.

If we put all current 512TR pricing in the "crazy" category -- meaning on a scale of 1-5, 1 is "crazy - how could prices just about double in just a few months;" 3 is "very crazy," and 5 is "astronomical retail Ferrari dealer crazy," I would say I could obtain the car somewhere in the 3-to-4 range. Big money.

I am looking for my fellow F-car enthusiasts who may know me or have been there along the way and also for other fresh faces to provide some input. There are some really cool and collected minds around here and perspective on matters such as these from the community is highly valuable. I am wondering if what I am considering is financially very risky or if folks really do believe this car is the next Daytona or something crazy that is inexorably headed into the stratosphere, which means it's still "cheap" now on a relative basis.

Best,
    David

2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #2 msdesignltd, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    Hey David...

I have 2 512Tr's a 92 and a 94...one is my driver and one is my show keeper..
    As of June 1st....I do believe the Entire Market has stalled...Everyone who had one and saw another advertised for 25 g's more, all of a sudden considered theirs worth 25 more and so on and so on..that could not go on..
    This made for the hammerhead stall we are now experiencing...Textbook stuff.
    I predict they will back off , cool off for a year or so...most certainly if the new president is well liked and she starts a rally of national confidence they will rise again after that.
    Time is always on the side of Ferrari..
    If you can find one for a reasonable price...No its not too late providing the history and condition is very good...and you deem it a long term investment..I say Go for it..
    Awesome is the understatement for virtually the only flat 12 road going latest iteration of a super car ever built.

retrace the price climb of the daytona and you can see they will not go below double what they were just 3,4,5, years ago...likewise a 92, 93, and most of all a 94 512TR's are better than money in the bank...
    Just my Opinion...

What cars did you find so far????

Where on LI are you?

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    how much did u sell it for and whats the asking price to get it back?

4. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I feel your pain!!! I had a 1992 512TR and subsequently an F512M ( number 1 of 75 in the U.S.) which I sold about 10 years ago for about $185,000. I never imagined they would rise in value so much. That is one car I should have kept, but my Ferrari ADD had me move on to several others over the years. If my wife would let me, I would be in the market again for a 512 TR. We shall see. Good luck in your decision.

5. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I would typically say the Daytonas have taken off, the Boxers have taken off, and the TR's are next. The most valuable versions being the 512TR's because they are improved and in fewer numbers.

But they have recovered quite nicely with the entire F car market. So, is there room to grow or should you run and buy a Maranello before they jump stratospherically as well?- because Maranellos are next

The TR's will move forward but as they do, so will every other significant F car as well.

You're not going to get the next big thing, you missed that. But you will have a car that will be a solid investment over time.

I own one of these too and was hoping it would move further, but the rush is over for now.

I really really wanted a Superamerica and turned one down 2 years ago at 150k. Now I'd never pay 400 plus for one.

They probably will hold value over time and move up slowly with all other values, but I can't bring myself to spring at today's pricing, even though it's one of my all time favorites.

So if you can spring for it and feel Good about it, Go for it- You're a better man than me. You likely won't lose, but there's definitely no home run, you missed that...because prices will need to surpass Boxers for that to happen, and 512TR's are not more significant. Just as Boxers will never surpass Daytonas and so on down the line.

512TR pricing is now in line with the relative values of other F cars, so you'll only see growth as the tide rises for all these cars.

My opinion- Hope it's helpful

6. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Guys thanks for the sound advice so far. Rick - lets just say I sold it for peanuts and the asking price is now pretty much in the absurd category as with the rest of them. The 512 TR was long a forgotten and overlooked super car and now the market thinks it's just that and more.

7. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Ouch an F512M!!

8. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I am always fascinated by the boxer / TR market comparisons.

Just as a quick question, How many boxers came to the US during its production history?

There were 409 512trs as a comparison.

I believe the 512tr is the last iteration of a special platform built by Ferrari. Hand built frames with the very last of the flat 12 platform. The styling is carried over from the legendary pinnifarina designed Testarossa, but most everything was upgraded. Larger brakes, lower center of gravity, revised suspension, and modern engine controls. This delivered the most powerful rear engine flat 12 Ferrari produced.

What is also impressive is the lack of systems that took away driver involvement. No ABS (unless you go 94) and no power steering. Nothing will save you in this car. You are on your own. The one key advantage of the 94 is the solid differential, but I believe this can be fixed in the earlier cars.

So I agree that the market may be stalling, but I find it hard to believe the price will return given what the car represents.

Only you know how much the car means to you.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    well then id say put all ur effort into finding an example that satisfies you for as little money as possible and once you arrive to a price where the seller is willing to transact go for it

10. Maser

Maser Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Harry Metcalfe
    The market for all TR versions has been on a significant upward curve for around 12-18 months now but it feels more like a correction relative to other similar classics (Countach, BB), rather than a major bubble. Past recent history of other Ferrari Classics (e.g. Dino) shows prices tend to suddenly jump, then plateau for a while, followed by a long period of quiet price escalation (away from any forum/media comment) at a rate above inflation.

The questions you really need to ask yourself are; how much do I want this car? Is there any other car I'd rather have for the same money? If I did pay today's asking price, is there enough money left in the pot to really enjoy owning it and if prices did drop or stagnate, is it car I'd still be happy to own?

If the answer is positive to most of these questions, then look at it at a 10yr+ purchase and go for it, rather than considering it as a short term purchase you currently seem to be doing. And always remember, Ferrari ain't going to be making any more flat-twelve supercars anytime soon..

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Not 12-18 months imo, only 6 months now Harry ...

12. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    This

13. Maser

Maser Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Harry Metcalfe
    I was looking to buy 18-24 months ago when values were around £40k in the UK. Ended up paying £54k for my '87 TR in July last year and then £96k for an '85 TR this Feb. so the upward curve got going approx 18 months ago but agree has accelerated significantly in the past 6 months..

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    For me, this is the crux of your post. If you buy now you are buying high relative to most of the past 15 years.

For Diablos, when people ask (and they ask all the time now) should they buy I tell them in stock analyst terms I think they are split between hold and sell.

If prices hold reasonably in the next economic downturn....that is the new bottom.

OTOH if you HAVE to have one now go get it

Of course opinions vary.....

15. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #15 msdesignltd, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    [QUOTE.....If prices hold reasonably in the next economic downturn....that is the new bottom.
    ..[/QUOTE]

New pres coming in..that alone will avoid next downturn...good bye obamanomics
    Never thought of it this way....
    Buy now...because this is the new bottom...!
    I think I agree..
    Its all a relative mindset..

GEEZE...someday people will be saying.." I shoulda bought a 512TR when it was $299,000.00
    Like now we say....shoulda bought an F40 when it was $650,000.00

16. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #16 ozziindaus, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Expect a slight correction as mentioned here before. It will be the 4th wave down and should not amount to too much. The 5th wave up is the scariest though. It's the frenzy that makes the last 12-18 months look tepid but these usually end badly. We'll all know when we see it but the timing on that is not certain.

In regard to an up and coming economic downturn, it's a lock IMO but i sincerely hope i'm wrong. It is the "Sovereign Debt Crisis" if you haven't already heard about it. Expect it to really gain momentum around September time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    New pres coming in..that alone will avoid next downturn...good bye obamanomics
    Never thought of it this way....
    Buy now...because this is the new bottom...!
    I think I agree..
    Its all a relative mindset..
    [/QUOTE]

Not trying to get too political, but no one man (or woman as we prepare for President Hillary if the GOP keeps floundering) can control the economy. There WILL be ups and downs under any economic policy.

I'm hoping the next downturn will bring a driver grade Boxer back to $150k so church mice like me can afford one.

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I´m sure there will come a down again

but also I think that you will never get a boxer below 200k US $, or you have to spend until you can drive it much more than you buy it for and then you also are over those 200K

only my opinon

but also: church mice will buy a small japanese car

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    True, the bottom of Boxer prices from here out may be higher than I can afford. Then I'll drown my sorrows in a 458 when they reach $150k.

Mrs church mouse likes japanese SUVs, Mr church mouse wants something non-boring.

20. ace355

ace355 Formula Junior

May 23, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    By your own words, you sold the car(s) in a panic. If you buy now and the current price drops 50%, will you be a seller? If so, it sounds like you are buying on "fear of missing out" on future price appreciation. If you are buying to enjoy the car, then do so. To paraphrase another FChatter, Sherpa, you either love the car or you love the money, you cannot love both.

21. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

What you are saying makes a lot of sense, except I can't wrap my head around one thing - is *anyone* buying these cars at these prices to "enjoy" the car? For a $quarter-mill a person can buy a hugely superior vehicle such as a 458, Huracan, and the list goes on and on. I haven't been able to figure out just who is buying these things at these prices. Naturally the tendency is to assume collectors, hedge funds, etc.

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Never go back to your old car, it may only be a great dissappointment imo ...

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ive bought back 4 cars that ive sold in the past - was always glad I did....never regretted buying them back

24. efes9

efes9 Karting

Oct 22, 2014
    Lots of interesting comments. Another consideration is the financial coming of age of the Miami Vice generation. There are likely a lot of 40-somethings who grew up with MV, and one day hope to have a TR. I would think the Daytona (and maybe the BB) demographic has reached financial maturity; the TR generation still needs a decade or so. Quite possible for the TR to push ahead of BBs and even Daytonas by 2025 - 2030, simply because of the pop icon it is.

If you are buying with the hope of a big gain, you need to have patient capital (and funds to run it until then - not an insignificant sum given the timeline involved).

If you are buying for love, then none of this matters - hopefully you have the funds to realize your dream.

Good luck!

25. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    I may be in the Miami Vice generation or slightly behind it and cannot ever see myself buying an engine out service car like the Testarossa or 512TR. That engine out service just seems like a financial and personal hassle. I'd rather have a 512bb or a newer mid engined V8 Ferrari.