boxer or tr? which is worth more? | FerrariChat

boxer or tr? which is worth more?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ross, Jun 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i see all these threads about the latest valuations of testas, 512tr's, 512m's, 365 bb, 512 bb, and bbi's.....and am a bit lost as to where the frothy frenzy is these days?

is the pecking order still (from low to high)

testa
    512tr
    bbi
    bb
    365bb
    512m

??

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  3. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    fwiw, my own opinion of where i value these cars according to my pulse, is as follows (from low to high)

testa
    365bb
    512m
    512bb and bbi equal
    512tr

but thats just me.

4. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #4 geno berns, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    Incorrect. The BB and BBi often sell for various prices that don't exactly dictate that the BB is worth more. IMO they are worth the same in general.
    The 365 BB is worth over $100k more than an M. The last 3 high water marks for a 365 BB's sold for $525k, $550k and $625k (the $625k was a car sold by some I know brokered by a well known car broker). All were spectacular cars. I've not seen an M bring more than a 365 BB. The highest price I am aware off that an M sold for is circa $500k. I own all 3 and follow the market closely.

Geno
    PS yesterday some one told me that an M sold for $588k. It has not been substantiated.

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    You've seen a TR sell for more than a BB?

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #6 Steve Magnusson, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    He's just restating the order based on his personal "pulse value" in post #3 (not the $ value - which he posted in post #1 - same person).

I wouldn't argue with Geno, but it always just blows my mind when the values get crazy, and you hear someone say something like " it can't possibly be worth $850K, $775K tops". Really? Both those numbers are just INSANE! ;)

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The TR is a great car to drive, have one in pieces right now but I have to say that the simplicity of my BB shouldnt be underestimated. Its as reliable as an anvil and easy to service. I have 2 TR's in the queue that need serious work while the engines are out for service. My BB just keeps going.

8. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This seems way off. A 365 should be well ahead of anything on this list. BBs and BBIs generally sell for similar numbers. Everyone has their opinion, I'm sure but just don't see how the 512 TR and Ms compare to the Boxers.

9. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i guess i was not clear enough, (altho steve understood).

my first list was what i thought the value ladder looked like.

the second list was how i personally considered them in terms of driving pleasure and/or aesthetic merit.

i have not driven every one on the list, but i own 2 of them. and i chose them for the pleasure of driving and looking at them. and that is why i put the 512tr at the top of the list - that car still excites me visually like the first time i saw it, and it is a great car to drive.

so you can come up with your own list of values, and you can come up with your favorite cars to own, drive, show, admire, etc.

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I own a Testarossa and a 512M and without doubt all the BBs are far more beautiful cars than either of mine.

11. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    BB also feel light and responsive, where later cars suffer from weight and when compared Testarossa to BB; Four valve engine seems powerful, but I feel that with Testarossa you have to wait longer to get speed up from 80km/h's to 150km/h's to make overtake, it is that weight and bit lame cam profile.

Testarossa feels like large car, where as BB feels like 308 with Testarossa engine.

no question BB has best looks and there is always that nice touch when you check oil from BB in gas station...