Testarossa Tire wear | FerrariChat

Testarossa Tire wear

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Jun 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey everyone!

Quick question for the group. My tires are about 10 years old, so I figured a good way to gauge the relative abuse-or-not that my car has seen before I got it would be to check the tire tread depth. Kind of like tree rings. :)

Anyway, the fronts show about 5 mm of tread left, the rears around 4.75 mm. So question - anyone know if the Testarossa tires wear more in the rear because of the locking rear end / handling / whatever? Or is it, as I think, someone's done at least 1 burnout in the time before I got it? :)

2. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    10 year old tires?!?!!?!? Mine are 2 years and my rears are about ready to go and I have done maybe 12k km and have never done a burnout and never will. This car has about 60% of its weight over the rear so I think most people have rear tire wear that is at least twice as rapid as the fronts.

3. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    LOL sweeeeeet, that bodes well for how well this car has been taken care of. And yup, almost 10 years old. Potenzas. The car only has 19k miles total.

4. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    Get new tires. 10 year old rubber must be cracked and hard. It will skip around hard corners and have very poor grip. I have Michelin PS2s and think the new Super Sports are better but there are many options out there and opinions.

5. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    No one really answered your question.. Unless you measured each tire when new there is no definitive answer.. but being only .25 off in the rear is really good and I don't think that being off by .25 would be because of a burn out.. Each tires wears differently... Being .25 off is pretty good if you ask me.. If car was burned out you would see some evidence.. Rubber shrapnel etc.. wheel wells and underneath on top of the belly pan.. That pan collects a lot of dirt and ****.. Keep her clean.. Again my opinion..

1. I do not think someone was spinning the tires because of a .25 margin.

2. Like it or not.. you need tires.. save them because they are original in you attic or storage place.. Get a new set of tires and then drive her.. Do not drive on those tires.. Very dangerous.

R

6. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    So what your saying is ....my Good Year's aren't any good? Mine are all original. And I thought I was doing good!!! :D

For what it is worth.....What the Chairman said. Your nuts to be driving on them.

7. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Lol thanks guys, looks like tires are the next purchase!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    if you have a rear driven vehicle the tires at the rear axle are more burdened by the torque than the front tires
    but 10 year old tires - if you only go around for having a coffee it may be ok. but when you like to enjoy the cars handling you need new ones

9. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Don't bother saving them, they aren't original

10. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Cool, so now on to the next question - are pilot sports everyone's recommended replacement then?

11. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Do you have metric being an '87?

12. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    No, aftermarket rims though (235/35R19 on front and 275/35R19 on back). Thinking about going up to 295 or so in back. My original rims / tires are standard too. THOSE are shod with pilot sports from 2001!

13. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    I still have 20 years old original tires on my 512M ....... no plan to change it cause i am not driving my car in the rain or for a long distance ...

14. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    Old rubber gets hard so it does not matter about long distance or in the rain necessarily. If you corner quickly they can literally skip on the surface making handling unpredictable. You do lose a substantial amount of grip. But if you do not drive quickly it does not matter. I did not buy this car to drive slowly though....

15. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    You my friend are stubborn and are not using your brain. A dumb comment and view point..

R

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    old tires with hard rubber you may use for racetrack. after short time they get so warm that the rubber is more soft. but never like new ones ! ! !
    but be carefull: until the rubber is not warm it is like ice skating :)