Need to replace valve stem with new tires on TR? | FerrariChat

Need to replace valve stem with new tires on TR?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 1TRICK6, Jun 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #1 1TRICK6, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Newbie here, just purchased a 89 TR, blk/nero last week.
    Need to replace the tires since they are 13years old.
    The valve stem looks different than most metal valve stems,
    do they need to be changed and if so can it be replaced
    with regular valve stems?
    The only tires I can find are the B.F.G. Comp2, 225/50/16 & 255/50/16.
    Also thinking about getting the wheels refinished. Are the wheels
    powder coated or painted originally. Anyone know of good place to take
    them in So. California area.
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Do not remove them (they are expensive and not normally replaced) -- just have the tire shop put a new Schrader valve core (that threads into the ID).

Steve M.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    If they are metal, they stay in the wheel, as Steve says above.....they came with the wheel.

Not the same as the rubber ones....

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Rubbers (!) always look stupid :D

5. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Can the valve stems be taken off and re-used, since they will probably have to take them off when they refinish the wheels. I stopped by America's Tires and they showed me some
    valve stems that look the same but are chromed, can't tell they're exactly the same until I take the tires off.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Ferrari OEM ones are aluminum.......

I would keep looking as with "chrome" you will pay a weight penalty!

Take a look as you take them off for the refinish, IIRC it has rubber seals on the mating face, maybe just renew them??

7. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sounds good will check on the rubber seal & core replacement, otherwise I guess it's $20 each at the Stealership.

8. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #8 302Tim, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I wouldn't overthink this too much. The stem unscrews, the seal can be replaced with a correctly sized O-ring. There are no individual parts from Ferrari so if you want to replace the O-rings you'll need to find a generic replacement. If bad the valve core shouldn't be too difficult to source but it will be metric. I'd recommend if your stems aren't leaking and the O-ring looks good, re-use them--they are very robust and not subject to rotting or being cut by hubcaps or other abuses the rubber stems suffer. Don't attempt to change to rubber stems.

As for wheel finishing, they were originally painted--I don't believe powder coating was used in the automotive industry 25 years ago. Likely lacquer. Light gray primer was used (you'll see when you remove your tires) as a base, then silver was sprayed on the outside surfaces. On all four of mine and a replacement I bought on eBay, the silver on the inside of the wheels has a dull finish (semi-gloss) and the outside has same color but with a heavy coat of clear yielding a very glossy finish--I believe this was the original application. My notes show the original paint was P.P.G. #36520 (unverified--there was a thread here a few years ago and someone researched this). Also, the inside surfaces will likely be over-sprayed with Dinol, a dark golden waxy corrosion preventative that was sprayed all over the suspension after assembly. Don't attempt to paint over this, it will come off with mineral spirits.

Many of us have the BF Goodrich tires and I haven't heard any real complaints--I highly recommend them, they wear well and are sufficient for occasional track days. Mine were installed by Les Schwab and they didn't balance them right--big vibration. I had my independent mechanic balance them correctly (weights on inboard and outboard edges of inside of wheel (no weights on outside of wheel)).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks for all the good info. This forum is great.