Boxer values moving upwards ... | FerrariChat

Boxer values moving upwards ...

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Spitfire, Jun 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
  2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

boxers look to be worth approx. $250k according to this write-up. looks like the TR is making a move to pass the boxer in value:)

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    ... which is bizarre.

4. ferraripete

go figure...

5. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Good luck finding a half way decent one under $350,000. Fully sorted cars are in the high $300ks.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #6 Bullfighter, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    Problem is, in reading the Telegraph article, that everything is going up, from Mk 1 Golfs to TRs to Enzo-era Ferraris. Not all or even most of this stuff is rare, significant, or collectible. (And I write this as a former Mk 1 Golf and Mk 2 GTI owner... fun rides at the time, but not much more than that.)

I'm not at all surprised early Countachs (LP400s, Periscopos) rocketed up, because they come from that hand-built, analogue era are rare, iconic, etc. Ditto the fibreglass 308, which is a unique and scarce exotic car. Dinos - pure carburetted, hand-built, chrome-bumpered - that era was magical.

What makes me think the market is in full-on weird mode is that we're SUDDENLY seeing asking prices of ~$200K for regular production 328s and still more for 512 TRs. Much as l like both, this is silly money. The seller who dumped his 599 GTB three-pedal for $689K made the deal of the decade, IMHO - basically $550K gravy.

I don't know how this all ends, but right now feels like a good time to sell, or hold if you have the car of your dreams already. I have one but the other - that Daytona - is looking less likely now. ;)

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 excellent analysis.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Where does that put you, on your resto???

You have to be at $300K by now???
    Is it almost done???

I like the color!!!

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    +1000

Maybe after the next silly money fueld crash you can get a Daytona.
    Were they not close on $1mill in 89 and well restored for 150k 3 years later.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think it's a change in perception.

I have long maintained that WE view the later 308QVs and 328s as "common" against the numbers of earlier cars..

But compared to the modern production numbers of the 370Z whatever, they are the Mona Lisa!!!

same view on the Boxer and TR question....age too, takes it's toll and examples are destroyed.

11. exotic30

exotic30 Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    The values don't have any correlation with history or significance anymore. My opinion...BBs and BBis don't seem too 'hot' right now -- for speculators anyway. Looks like they are thinly traded so it's hard to build up the momentum for the repeated price increases in a short period.

So the speculator cars are now $250K 328s, $0.5M TRs and so on.

12. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Some of us DON'T want to drive $250K-500K (if they continue to rise) cars.
    We just like them, and aren't all that thrilled with the $$$$$ trend.

13. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
    I absolutely agree with you. When I first got into 19271 I hadn't fully appreciated what I'd bought, but once I did know what I had on my hands it "forced" the restoration to go in a direction I hadn't originally anticipated, and I think I'll possibly be afraid to drive the end result. This is a shame since it was a childhood dream of mine to own a BB512.

14. ferraripete

oh ok...

15. nickinafrica

nickinafrica Karting

Oct 10, 2013
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick Petty
    As I see it, the cars that are really taking off are the limited production say 1,000 or less, that you could describe as hand built. if you fast forward 20 years and start talking about classics, I don't think the buyers will be interested in looking at supercars that were made with computer driven everything, paddle shift transmissions, and glue alloy tubs, these vehicles will be a nightmare to try and fix, well unless you ship it off to the main dealer, so the collector will still be focusing on the vehicles that are in the limelight now, old Ferrari, Astons, Lamborghini etc, and the collector who sells for a fair profit might find himself where he cannot get anywhere near that car in ten years time, I sold a very clean, low mileage Pantera GTS in 2002, I would need to spend over $100K to get a similar car now.