Brake Caliper rebuild | FerrariChat

Brake Caliper rebuild

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ozziindaus, Jul 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I'm thinking of rebuilding all 4 calipers. Anyone have any experience with that? Anyone familiar with these guys?

Remanufactured Brake Calipers

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    PMB Performance has more of a known history on FChat:

PMB - Brake Calipers

(but have no good or bad data on your link -- but like what I see on their website)

3. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Just gave them a call. They can do them and will restore back the factory zinc plating. Thanks

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I question wheter they really can refurbish F calipers at all ...

Am allmost sur they cannot find/obtain the oem parts to do so ...

Why ?

These parts are not available to anybody else than Ferrari I was told bij the original factory that is printed on the seals.

In my case, the dustseals of my '92 512TR TEEVES 4 cilinder brake calipers have ATE numbers on them.

We managed to get into the logistics of that German firm but NO GO ! They will NOT deliver to anyone else tahn Ferrari Factory Maranello.

So .... that firm Brakewarehouse nor PMB will (not) have these parts ... we are sure :)

5. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Mel, apparently they rebuild with sleeves, seals and remanusactured pistons if required. Total for the TR is just under $1,000.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The testarossa caliper is a Mercedes unit. 560sl if memory serves. 512tr is a brembo unit. I just had a set rebuilt, no issues getting a rebuild kit at all. Porsche has used the same style caliper for years. 993, 964 etc.

7. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #7 302Tim, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No Mel, that's not true. I recall your 512TR rebuild issues however the same is absolutely not the case for testarossa ATE calipers. OEM and aftermarket parts are readily available and there are shops well qualified to do the rebuild--ATE calipers were used on thousands of Euro cars (primarily Porsche).

Sam, I just rebuilt all four of my calipers myself using OEM (ATE) parts. I bought the spacer flat o-rings from PMB (they aren't in the OEM kits) and I also had them replate the calipers. I recommend them and would have no qualms about having them rebuild the calipers if you don't want to do them yourself. I've been meaning to start a thread on my rebuild. The attachment describes the process, I still need to add photos though--I'll do that tonite or this weekend so you can see whats involved--in short, no drama...straight forward rebuild.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    If you not a mechanic with knowledge of which cars use the same calipers like some cross of pors he to ferrari you can just buy some rebuild kits from girodisc a forum sponsor. It is more expensive than knowing which calipers belong to which makers but less expensive than oem and of course wastes no time. The act of rebuild is easy. It is the repaint and stenciling that take time.

9. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Superb Tim. Looking forward to the thread and pics.
    OT, what lift did you use?

10. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Seal kits for Testarossa are available from Giro Disc. They also include the small seals when you split them. My opinion rebuild them yourself if you can. A wire brush on a drill cleaned the outside of the caliper perfectly. A soft wire brush. Then a scuff pad on the pistons. Then a scuff pad for the piston wall. It was easy and kind of fun. Not fun if you cant get the pistons out. If i were to send them out I would have them sleeved with i believe copper or brass (forgot which material) and it would be the last time you will ever need to rebuild them. I rebuilt three of the four. The last one I could not get one of the four pistons out. You know that was the only caliper that started to get surface rust. The ones I rebuilt came perfect. You be surprised how durable that zinc coating is. When you clean them they look brand new. Im not a big fan of painting Testarossa calipers. They are ugly for starters. Its like an old ladies painted toe nail.

R

I have extra rebuild kit in my tool box if you wanna give one a try.

11. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #11 ozziindaus, Jul 3, 2015
  12. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Those do look pretty bad--Evaporust will get the rust off but it will come back if you don't replate them. PMB replated all four calipers and the spacers for $120.00--dirt cheap for the quality job they do.

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Sorry, I just commented in case of 512TR TEEVES calipers; have no clue about TR :)

On the 512TR only last year(s) the Brembo brakes were fitted; all others were stuck with the TEEVES.

I wasn't that lucky because these TEEVES are allmost impossible to refurbish ...

I know it's another discussion but if I had a TR ...... I would get rid of the (too) small oem brakes and asap fit big Brembos or 512TR brakes !

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Any news on the calipers yet :)

15. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    And more importantly what common calipers are able to be swapped (560SL calipers dont look the same).

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    512TR/M can be used and ...are F oem !

17. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    That is about a $15,000 job when you include the larger wheels, spacers and new tires plus the 7K or so brembos for all 4 corners.

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    The Testarossa brakes ar not adequate for the hp's in this car ...

My safety would be worth that ... any penny !

19. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Mel,
    In the US, there is nowhere you can legally drive fast enough to compromise the brakes.

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    wrong ! ! !
    you can go on any racetrack with your TR in the US and then you will see how much it is worth to have good brakes.
    also when you go downhill longer time you may be glad to have good brakes. the TR is heavy

21. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #21 ozziindaus, May 7, 2016
    Finally getting my brakes overhauled and decided to refinish my wheels while I'm at it. In preparation for reassembly, does anyone know the correct Torque specs for the following:

1. Hub to Wheel (apologies for the bad resolution. Snagged it from the internet)
    2. Main Bolts (2x/caliper)

I also have the spacers for each caliper bagged but lost track of where each one goes. Most are only one spacer/bolt but some had up to 3. Is there a procedure to determine the exact spacing? Would this change with overhauled Calipers? (new seals, replating and a new set of pads)

On the subject of pads, any recommendations here? Should I go for the original ATE? How about Porterfield?

Thanks

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sorry sam,
    the torque I don´t have in mind

pads I would take the original ATE ( same size is in the BMW and also mercedes, but don´t use those, the material of the brake lining is not the same ) .

if you could get ferodo pads use those ( front FDB 161, rear FDB 123 )

alfa romeo had the same pads. alfa no. front 60736109, rear 60737389, may be at alfa they are cheaper?

the spacers for the calipers you have to check. they are only for the right distance for the caliper to the disk and that top and buttom of the caliper has the same distance to the disk so that the pads are completly touching the disk and not only a part of the pads.

23. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    That makes sense Joe. Super Performance has a decent price on the ATE pads. Think I'll also change the brake hoses too. Thanks

24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you change the hoses then just use steelflex not the rubber ones

25. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Never laughed so hard!