Speed sensative clicking noise from rear of car...Hear Attack | FerrariChat

Speed sensative clicking noise from rear of car...Hear Attack

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by lear60man, Jul 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Since I normally drive around with the windows up I never noticed it. But a recent trip with the windows down and click, click, click etc.....only on acceleration. First thing I thought of was the Diff. This was a bummer because my Diff replacement plans are 2 years off to coincide with a belt service.

Turns out it was a poorly placed balancing weight tapping on one of the hub bolts when I gave it throttle. Tragedy avoided but damn did my heart skip a beat hahaha.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    hey christian,

first I thought: one more diff :( - same I heard with my diff when it was broken and the klick-klick during acceleration came then from the broken CP

but you are lucky that it was not the diff or even more :)

3. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Had a few moments like that myself--glad it was nothing Christian. Kinda like when the master caution light comes on when you just turned final...eh?

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Exchange the diff ! Simple ... No more fear then ... :D

5. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    A master caution on final is cool. A Master Caution half way to Hawaii, not cool.

Mel, an upgraded diff is on the books for its major belt service. I personally know the previous 2 owners, she has had a pampered 14,000 miles of life.....no abuse. So my exposure to diff failure is relatively low. Dropping the engine and doing the diff was not in the immediate forecast. But it will be done.

6. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Who says you have to drop the engine to do the diff?

7. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Looks pretty clear with the exhaust off. Does the clutch bell housing also have to come off to get to the diff?

8. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes

9. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    "Master Caution" ?? Sounds like something used by Boeing, Douglas or NASA ?

Every time I feel a vibration, hear a click or any other sensation that could be the diff, I cringe. I can't change that thing soon enough. I heard the crown-to-carrier bolts are more times than not, loose, and this alone is a creepy thing to see.

10. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    To answer your question, the local Ferrari dealer. There are some jobs that I will tackle, Diff replacement is not one of them. I will pay to have it done by a dealer so that I have a warranty and paperwork. I asked and thats the answer I was given.

With that said, I know know there are members who have done it with the motor in with great success. Unfortunately I dont have the space or equipment to do either a belt change or Diff so it would go to the dealer for this type of work. With the engine out, its only a few more $$ in labor to install.

There is a fellow member here who is also a Tech. Great guy who I take up in the plane every chance I get. Im sure he could do it but I dont want to be 'that guy' haha. I ask favors very sparingly.

11. 512BLU

512BLU Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Spring Texas
    Full Name:
    G F O
    I have had the engine / gearbox removed from my 512TR three times and the engine is always removed. The engine / transmission / differential is essentially like a single unit. Once removed there is a great deal of work to un-mate the two units and a lot of work is in between the firewall and the engine. Once removed the differential is the last thing removed. NOT FUN OR CHEAP. My diff broke at 23,000 miles, and when it did, there was ZERO warning. Lots of other stuff broke with it and the cost more than doubled for the parts. Better to do it in a planned way than wait.

12. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I wasn't asking a question i just told the other poster that you didn't have to remove the engine...ask me how i know this..it took me 17hrs

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    If you read the threads carefully: diff ailures have NOTHING TO DO WITH ABUSE .... it will happen, just the Q is: WHEN ! :)

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    You are right !

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Exactly !

SO >>>> ONE MORE BROKEN DIFF in our non-believing community :) !!!!

Any photo's of the damage ?

16. 512BLU

512BLU Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Spring Texas
    Full Name:
    G F O
    Hey Mel, Are you asking me about the damage to my diff and do I have pics? If so then Yes I do but I would have to locate them as it was a while back. When my diff broke it was back in 2003. The two other failures were unrelated to the differential. It was the main input shaft (not the prop or quill shaft) that sheared. The diff was upgraded in 2003 with the upgraded unit. In all occasions the engine was removed with the gearbox.