Vivid Racing : Capristo 512 & Testarossa Test Pipes - SALE SPECIAL! | FerrariChat

Vivid Racing : Capristo 512 & Testarossa Test Pipes - SALE SPECIAL!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by VividRacing, Jul 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vivid Racing : Capristo 512 & Testarossa Test Pipes - SALE SPECIAL!

These lightweight Secondary Cat Delete Pipes fit in place of the heavy OEM catalytic converters. Using this test pipes removes the flow restriction a catalytic converter impose on an exhaust system and increases the horsepower.

The silencing effect of the converters are also removed, enhancing the aggressive Ferrari V12 engine sound.

Ideal for track days and race application.

The Lambda or oxygen sensor bungs are ready installed and threaded.

Made from T309 stainless steel to ensure the high quality associated with the CAPRISTO systems.

List price is $890. Contact me via PM for special Ferrarichat member pricing!!!

-James

2. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Test pipes are fantastic but do you guys make test pipes for the pre cats. That my friends is when your cooking with bacon. Coverting all to test pipes is the way to go. Nice throttle response. A nice b*tchy snarl when letting the rpms wind down. They allow her to sing boys.

R

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    CEL lights may be invoked .... spoils the pleasure imo ...

4. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Negative. Not in the Testarossa

R

5. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I am passively looking for pre-cat test pipes!

6. 53ford

53ford Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    Getting rid of the main cats without losing the pre-cats is a waste of resources. The pre-cats are the 'bottleneck' of the exhaust system.

7. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Not on the 512TR either or any Motronic 2.7 for that matter

8. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    That will not happen in the Testarossa.

9. 53ford

53ford Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    Let me elaborate on my overly-brief previous post. I got my 1990 tr eight or ten years ago with all factory exhaust system. Sounded nice but very tame. Replaced main cats with test pipes (can't remember the brand) a year or two later and was disappointed with the minimal change in sound across the entire RPM range. Fast forward five years....had Newman transplant an M crate motor with Fuchs silencer into the car (still with pre-cats). It sounded a lot better but was missing something, especially at higher RPM. Next, the pre-cats were replaced with test pipes (again can't remember brand) and that has made all the difference. At lower RPM and driving in a civilized manner it attracts little attention while sounding really nice. But mash that throttle and holy crap! From about 4500 to 5000 RPM onward the sound is 'hair standing on end' phenomenal. I realize this is anecdotal and that an M motor is different than a tr motor but I'm betting the improvement isn't limited to just the M sound trac. Cheers.

10. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you for clearing that up as I'm seriously considering something to improve the sound.
    Forgive my ignorance on this but why are they called "test pipes"? It sounds like there is possibly three parts to the exhaust system: pre-cats, cats, and post-cats?? Or is it just two parts? I'm assuming nobody makes a cat replacement that would pass CA emissions? This would need to come on and off the car for "street use" and emission test? Is this labor intensive or pretty straight forward like an hour or two of labor?
    Thanks in advance

11. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I beilieve you can delete the precats and still pass emissions. I know folks put on hyperflow cats and have no precats and still meet emissions.

"Test pipes" is just a euphemism for "race pipes". It sounds more temporary. But generally its pretty easy switching out the cats or precats anyways.

I have an X-ost exhaust and deleted precats and no main cats. And it sounds glorious!

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    It was the case in my 512TR ! :(

13. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Maybe something happened to one of the 02 sensors from when you had cats on.. No worries with test pipes..

Let her breathe..

Stay thirsty my friends.

R

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I swapped it all back to oem .... :( (still have perfect testpipes FUCHS for sale in NL/Europe)

15. Col. Kurtz

Col. Kurtz Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    Walter E.
    Someone buy these before I do, but end up with an angry spouse!

16. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    Still in stock and available!

And, if someone is interested, if you purchase these test pipes and are then willing to ship us your primary cat pipes, we will create a pair of primary cat deletes and provide you with a free pair!!!

-James

17. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    thanks!

What does everyone think of going in stages? For example switching just the exhaust and precat initially to see what that's like. Sounds like the precat is more of bottleneck than main cat? Then if not good (loud) enough then going to third step of taking out the main cat?? I'm leaning toward Fuchs exhaust from what I've heard online but haven't heard X-ost yet.

18. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Im doing cats first (cuts out the fire hazard), then evaluate the noise level. Im looking for a mid level bump in sound level, not full on F1.

"And, if someone is interested, if you purchase these test pipes and are then willing to ship us your primary cat pipes, we will create a pair of primary cat deletes and provide you with a free pair!!!"

Question, so.....would I get my original pre cat pipes back or do they get donated?

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

this seems like quite an offer for the first taker!!!

20. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Just go full test pipes. Eliminating the pre cats will give better throttle response. The noise level is where it needs to be. She's a Ferrari. You want quiet go get a tesla.

R

21. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Mel:
    I replaced the cats with test pipes 40,000 miles ago. If you disconnect the thermocouple ECUs where they enter the main wiring harness (under each rear fender arch), then no CEL. Easy.

I also took the pre-cats off, removed the external heat shield and insulation, put them in a vice, attached a 12" long 3/4" masonry drill bit onto my trusty Sears 1/2" electric drill and literally destroyed the ceramic wire matrix inside the pre-cats (wear glasses). The drill bit twists and breaks up the wire matrix and the stuff comes out in several large chunks. Not pretty, but effective. I then bead blasted the pre-cats, and painted them with Eastwoods stainless steel exhaust manifold coating. They still look good with no rust or staining.

Approximate time for project besides removal and re-assembly:
    Removal of external shielding 20 minutes per pre-cat
    Removal of internal ceramics 20 min per pre-cat
    Bead blasting and external coating (painted on) 30 min per pre-cat
    So, with 4 pre-cats to do, about a 4.5 hour project. But, when you are done, oh my will it sound (and respond) better.

22. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I just did mine. I bought Ferrari preowned precats that were in Germany. I think the pair cost me $600 delivered from Europe. That way I could keep my us precats intact.

Nothing special about the main cats. Those were stainless ones I bought off eBay. I think they were $150 a piece. Make sure there are 2 bung holes...one for the cat ecu and one for the O2 sensor. No CEL generated.

And if you are going this route, you may want to read my 512tr pin out thread to put your car in "euro mode"

23. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Yes.

With the main cats removed, no need for the cat ECU's. Multiple problems solved.

24. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Not so sure about this w the 512tr. If the CAT ecu is triggered, I think it signals the main ecu and changes the cars running parameters. (I'm not 100% on this, but I think I remember seeing the interaction while looking at the pinout)

Not sure what the CAT ecu does on a regular TR. it probably just signals a dash light

25. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    Still available somehow!

-James