88TR starter issue | FerrariChat

88TR starter issue

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by OptimusPrime, Jul 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Formula Junior

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Could use a little help as I have exhausted my skill level. Two things I hope, 1 is that Steve did not answer this already in another post, and 2, I forgot I posted this in the past :).

So here we go... For the last few years, when I start the car, the starter motor either catches and starts the motor, or the starter motor just spins and makes a winning noise and starts after a few tries. When the engine is warm it tends to start better but still spins sometimes. took the starter out and bench tested it and solenoid works fine and starter runs great. I cleaned up the starter in case some grime got in the way of the gear moving forward. There was no damage to the flywheel and all teeth present and starter gear looked undamaged.

I put it back in the car and got the same thing. It always starts but im afraid one day it won't. So I took out the starter and went to starter rebuild shop to check it out in case it was a starter clutch or bendiex issue. Starter checked out fine and mechanic tried the old farmers trick and used an2x4 piece of wood to try to put a load on the starter and all that did is start the wood on fire. Told me starter was fine and no need to rebuild.

I put starter back in car, purchased new battery, cleaned up ground on engine and battery, cleaned all connections except plastic disconnect behind engine. Not sure what to try next and I would hate to buy a new starter and have same problem. Looking for any ideas. thanks in advance. not sure if there could be an electrical problem in the starter circuit that could do this.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No -- that's a new (and unusual) one ;)

Are you sure that you have a stock TR starter assembly? Do you have the Bosch PNs that are marked on the starter motor and the solenoid outer case?

3. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hi Steve,

interesting question, never throught to check so no, I'm not sure. I will take a look on Saturday and let you know what the numbers are. All I remember is that it is a Bosch starter.

Thanks

4. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I was able to get a number off the solenoid but can't see anything on starter and will look at that Saturday. Solenoid is ZM57312V 0201 Made in Brazil.

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    Certainly not a stock TR Bosch 0331303032 solenoid - may be equivalent, but I've no information on that. I've got a note in my TR SPC that chabch posted the ZM576(12V) fits/works on a TR:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/452906-new-starter-solenoid-reference.html

When I do an online search on "ZM57312V", it gets some websites that gives Bosch equivalents that aren't the stock Bosch ...032 number...(but neither does the ZM576 box that chabch posted, but this site: http://www.zfsolenoid.com/ZF-576-p54725217.html does say ZM576 = the TR WAI 66-9131 solenoid).

This may not be the issue, but when you took the starter in for testing could you tell if the pinion gear was moving out about as far as it could go, or was there more travel room available?

6. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hi Steve,

With a mirror, I was able to read the number on the starter as # 27222. Seems like that is the original. Any thoughts? I'm thinking at this time to buy a new starter with a known compatible solenoid as this is very strange. I can't think of any way the starter can whine like that and then suddenly grab and start with no evidence of damage to the flywheel or starter gear and when warm get better. The white connectors look fine as well with no heat damage. Do you think its possible that the solenoid is barley getting enough voltage to move it ahead all the way but enough for the motor to spin, but when you keep the key in the on position it finally gets enough juice to engage the gear? Anything electrical you can think of?

Thanks again as this will end up the forth or fifth time you have bailed me out. I just wish I could return the favor, maybe if you ever need a pacemaker or other medical device I will be of some help...Hope not:)

Tom

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    Yes, please forgive me if I don't want to accept your very kind offer soon ;)

No -- all the electrical system can do is cause the solenoid plunger to move its full stroke, which closes the switch that connects the starter motor to the battery, which causes the starter motor to spin -- and all that seems to be working. It's either got to be the pinion gear not moving far enough (solenoid stroke too short or internally impeded, mechanical linkage between solenoid motion and pinion gear axial motion not right), or the (mechanical) connection between the motor shaft and the pinion gear that transmits the torque is messed up.

Since you're in the US (and changing the solenoid on a TR isn't rocket science), spending ~$20 on a WAI solenoid and trying that as a first step wouldn't be crazy IMO (even if the trouble is somewhere else since what you presently have doesn't seem quite correct) -- just a thought...

8. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hey guys, I have the same issue. On the first cold start up, the starter motor would spin fast for a few seconds then catch and start. After I shut off the car and do another restart it would start up with just a little whining which eventually goes away after it is warmed up. Car is in the shop getting a 30k service right now, not sure if I have original starter motor/solenoid but will check next week and see if the shop has any suggestions and will post.

9. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #9 OptimusPrime, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Update on the starter issue. I took out the starter and noticed that the Bendix was made by Mark's one. Did a little research in my maintenance records and found that my starter was rebuilt about 15 years ago and the Mark's one brand does not seam to be around anymore? I researched the starter and found out the Bosch OEM bendix is part number 1006209529. Most of the Ferrari parts places want over $200 for one, but I found that Summit racing had them for $30 and Rock auto had 3 that they were closing out for $20 each. See picture below.
    I took it apart and the only challenge was to get the stop ring out of the way to get the snap ring off the shaft. Using a socket the right size can move the metal ring out of the way so you can remove the snap ring. Replacing the metal ring and snap ring is a little harder but if you have a small bearing puller, you can pull up on the metal ring and collapse the snap ring with pliers or push in with screw driver so it tucks back under the ring. See pics.

Anyway, if your starter spins/whines a little before engaging, you will need a new bendix. as I mentioned it makes a whining kind of noise but I guess when it heats up, is finally grabs. Mine got worse the longer I used it. Once I changed the bendix, it fired right up now with no slipping. I will add that the starter shop told me my starter was fine when I took it in for rebuild, so this may not be as common a failure. Thanks again to Steve and others for their help.

1Trick6 you may want to buy one from Rock auto.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    I missed this post back in July, yes the ZM576 is a perfect match for the WAI and original Bosch solenoid. I had hot start issues, and I've had it for two summers now and never had a problem again. I would have been surprised if the ZM576 would have been be the issue here.

Glad you found the problem!

11. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Tom,
    Thanks for the info.
    I just ordered one from Rock Auto, hope it fixes the issue.

12. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Great, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about changing it out, should only take an hour or two from start to finish unless you want to clean up and repaint starter like I did. Let us know if this works out for you...I bet it will.

Regards,

Tom